Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 74,975 times

Advertisements

Best of Philly near central and thomas serves thrifty ice cream.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,877,356 times
The Water and Ice store in the Safeway strip mall on 35th Ave, just north of Northern Ave, by Subway on the north side, have Thrifty ice cream, they're $1.35 for a single scoop. I am a type I diabetic, so I can't eat ice cream because of the sugar in it, I can only eat it when my blood glucose levels drop. I had one on Saturday, and I usually get the Pistachio Nut, or the Butter Pecan flavors.

I was raised at 3rd Ave & Highland, and I remember when I was a kid, before I was diagnosed with diabetes at 14, I used to ride my bicycle to the Thrifty store that was on 7th Ave & Osborn, then when my parents moved near 27th Ave & Bethany Home in 1973, I rode my bike to the Thrifty store on 35th Ave & Glendale, just for the ice cream, and I remember it was .25 cents a scoop.

The building that had the Thrifty on 35th & Glendale was torn down around 1987, and it was replaced with a strip mall that had an ABCO, Osco, and other small stores/busineses. Since ABCO closed down a few years ago, most of these places in that strip mall have been sitting empty.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,628,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The Water and Ice store in the Safeway strip mall on 35th Ave, just north of Northern Ave, by Subway on the north side, have Thrifty ice cream, they're $1.35 for a single scoop. I am a type I diabetic, so I can't eat ice cream because of the sugar in it, I can only eat it when my blood glucose levels drop. I had one on Saturday, and I usually get the Pistachio Nut, or the Butter Pecan flavors.

I was raised at 3rd Ave & Highland, and I remember when I was a kid, before I was diagnosed with diabetes at 14, I used to ride my bicycle to the Thrifty store that was on 7th Ave & Osborn, then when my parents moved near 27th Ave & Bethany Home in 1973, I rode my bike to the Thrifty store on 35th Ave & Glendale, just for the ice cream, and I remember it was .25 cents a scoop.

The building that had the Thrifty on 35th & Glendale was torn down around 1987, and it was replaced with a strip mall that had an ABCO, Osco, and other small stores/busineses. Since ABCO closed down a few years ago, most of these places in that strip mall have been sitting empty.
For nostalgia, here is the first Thrifty in Phoenix, near 35th Ave. and Van Buren about 1959. I used to go to movies in that shopping center all the time with my Mercedes 300SL; hard to believe no one ever bothered the car, especially since it had real knock off wheels.

Attachment 46812

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,877,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
For nostalgia, here is the first Thrifty in Phoenix, near 35th Ave. and Van Buren about 1959. I used to go to movies in that shopping center all the time with my Mercedes 300SL; hard to believe no one ever bothered the car, especially since it had real knock off wheels.

Attachment 46812
Thanks for that nostalgic picture. I was born in October of 1956, and around 1959, up until the late 1960's, I think 35th Ave & Van Buren was still a good area.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,877,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Have you tried making desserts, ect........ with Xagave?
I heard about Xagave recently on Fox10AZ Morning Show.
It's a natural sugar replacement made from a plant in mexico and they say to check with your doctor but that it should be ok for diabetics to use. You can find Xagave at some of the Albertson's locations. It actually tastes quite similar to honey. The official site for Xagave is- Agave Nectar | Sugar Replacement - Xagave

Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Agave syrup is very good. You don't have to buy that brand name.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM

I heard in the past that Thrifty Ice Cream was made in El Monte California and trucked in to Phoenix.

Now I find out there is a Thrifty Ice Cream company somewhere around Phoenix with only about 4 employees. I'm wondering if it is still the same ice cream now.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Thrifty Ice Cream is infact made in El Monte California and trucked to Rite-Aid stores that still sell the brand. Their was or is a Thrifty Ice Cream Comany in the Phoenix area that was facing legal problems from the owners of the brand. That may be ongoing or resolved as of this writing. The only place that I can find that sells the original seems to be the Water and Ice stores.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Thrifty Ice Cream is infact made in El Monte California and trucked to Rite-Aid stores that still sell the brand. Their was or is a Thrifty Ice Cream Comany in the Phoenix area that was facing legal problems from the owners of the brand. That may be ongoing or resolved as of this writing. The only place that I can find that sells the original seems to be the Water and Ice stores.
Thrifty's has gone under because of union problems in California and they always had this odd way of retailing; they had to staff the photo, candy, cigarette and liquor departments separately but they had common check out registers for everything else except pharmacy. So if you wanted ice cream, they were usually short of staff and you waited forever. Some even had a lunch counter with those little jukeboxes with the flip cards. If you made your selection and hit the box just right, it would play. I used to listen to To Know Him is To Love Him by the Teddy Bears, over and over.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,041 times
I CRACKED A TOOTH ON THRIFTY ICE CREAM DOES ANYONE KNOW WHOM THE MANAGER IS BY NAME IN EL MONTE CA.PLANT smiley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area