Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 AM

137 posts, read 341,852 times

Advertisements

It's rare to find something that's cheaper in NY than elsewhere.

But I just talked to Cox Cable today about Phone/Internet/Cable service in Phoenix, and I learned that I'm entitled to the privelege of receiving Internet, cable with basically no movie channels, and phone service with no long distance, for the modest sum of $133/month.

Are these people sucking on peyote buttons? Is the Phoenix South Mountain Peyote Park close to where I live in Ahwatukee, because I'm looking for things to do this week.

Seriously, that's obscene.

I did a little searching through the old threads, and it sounds like this is as good as it gets. I'm not a big fan of satellite, so it sounds like Quest isn't an option.

By the way, has anyone used ooma? I had a sleepless night on a couch one night when I got too sleepy to turn off the TV, and I listened to an informercial about this thing called ooma around a hundred times, in and out of sleep. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but a couple of weeks later, my brother bought it, and he loves it.

The only thing that worries me is the inability to make 911 calls if the Internet connection is down and my cell is dead.

What's the deal with Internet/Phone/TV in Phoenix? In NY, Cablevision and Verizon are duking it out, but it sounds like Cox is doing the Rope-A-Dope with all of us nice folks in the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Well, if you really won't go with satellite, you are stuck, I'm afraid. I used to have Cox, have the Qwest with DirectTV now. Like the DirectTV better. Fewer outages, plenty of channels (I don't get any of the typical premium movie channels, but I don't miss them). I'd call Qwest and see what they have to offer.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,428,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsheridan View Post
It's rare to find something that's cheaper in NY than elsewhere.

But I just talked to Cox Cable today about Phone/Internet/Cable service in Phoenix, and I learned that I'm entitled to the privelege of receiving Internet, cable with basically no movie channels, and phone service with no long distance, for the modest sum of $133/month.

Are these people sucking on peyote buttons? Is the Phoenix South Mountain Peyote Park close to where I live in Ahwatukee, because I'm looking for things to do this week.

Seriously, that's obscene.

I did a little searching through the old threads, and it sounds like this is as good as it gets. I'm not a big fan of satellite, so it sounds like Quest isn't an option.

By the way, has anyone used ooma? I had a sleepless night on a couch one night when I got too sleepy to turn off the TV, and I listened to an informercial about this thing called ooma around a hundred times, in and out of sleep. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but a couple of weeks later, my brother bought it, and he loves it.

The only thing that worries me is the inability to make 911 calls if the Internet connection is down and my cell is dead.

What's the deal with Internet/Phone/TV in Phoenix? In NY, Cablevision and Verizon are duking it out, but it sounds like Cox is doing the Rope-A-Dope with all of us nice folks in the valley.
Cox is expensive, I used to bundle with them, I paid $105 a month for digital cable, the second fastest internet, and a basic phone line with no features.

I have DirectTV now, the only thing that sucks is the contract, and the fact that they don't offer internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, if you really won't go with satellite, you are stuck, I'm afraid. I used to have Cox, have the Qwest with DirectTV now. Like the DirectTV better. Fewer outages, plenty of channels (I don't get any of the typical premium movie channels, but I don't miss them). I'd call Qwest and see what they have to offer.
I got a better deal going with DirectTV themselves, for some reason Qwest was not available at my place.

I only pay $28.93 for the Choice+ package with a DVR. I am getting a $10 referal discount, and a $8 employee discount though.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 AM

977 posts, read 1,959,131 times
I can't suggest anything specifically, but you should avoid Qwest like the plague. I have been in my apartment about 6.5 months, and have had to have them come out 6 times. They have failed to make their 4 hour window all six times, and their call center is the worst I have ever dealt with, and that includes the IRS. I look forward to moving into a house so I can ditch Qwest all together.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I can't suggest anything specifically, but you should avoid Qwest like the plague. I have been in my apartment about 6.5 months, and have had to have them come out 6 times. They have failed to make their 4 hour window all six times, and their call center is the worst I have ever dealt with, and that includes the IRS. I look forward to moving into a house so I can ditch Qwest all together.
Sorry you've had that experience. I've been in my house over twenty years, had Qwest for phone all that time, and they've been at the house I think twice in all that time, never a problem. I agree that the call center can be a bit problematic, I did talk to them about an Internet issue a long time ago. I think everyone's experience is different with all these sorts of companies... you'll get the same range of opinions about Cox.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,428,065 times
That's funny because from my experience, most apartments only have Cox, and not Qwest.

Cox is no better when it comes to customer service, and to be honest DTV is the worst so far, but I have had the fewest problems with them.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM

223 posts, read 597,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsheridan View Post
Is that an advertized special price or the final price after some introductory period? It certainly sounds high for a teaser!

I'm going to be looking for HD cable with HBO only, and high-speed internet (no voice). I was hoping to come in under $100 ...

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

157 posts, read 422,557 times
when you talking about "ooma" are you talking about Voice over IP. If thats the case you may want to look at magic jack

Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

223 posts, read 597,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejn View Post
when you talking about "ooma" are you talking about Voice over IP. If thats the case you may want to look at magic jack
Looks like 'ooma' is an alternative to (eg) Vonage - an attempt to provide a 'full service' and 'high quality' voip solution that lets you use your existing 'home phones' (differentiating themselves from Skype/etc, which use your PC); they are offering a 'free' service but you have to buy their equipment (pricey). They are trying to buy market share by undercutting others on rates; means you may benefit for a while, but eventually they may raise their rates or - go out of business. If you talk a lot it may be useful because of the free calling, but - you are always vulnerable to internet outages, and quality will vary depending on factors way beyond your control (typically very good, occasionally not so).

Read this article - gives good info. I almost went to work for a very similar company 3 years ago; great plans, great marketing, some good investment capital, but - they were gone a year later ... this is a very difficult business to make money in.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 AM

137 posts, read 341,852 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I ended up going with Cox. I can't find my notes from the first time I called them, but I think the $133 was for the digital cable with 200 channels, but if I remember correctly, that was with only 1 movie channel. It also included 1.5 MB download Internet and phone with no long distance. It also included tax.

observer53, how high are the install charges for satellite? I never called, but figured it might be more expensive to get going with Quest. The house is wired for cable, and I already have a cable modem.

KarmaPhx, that's a pretty nice deal -$29 for cable. Does that include any movie channels? Without your discounts, it would be $47, which I think is exactly the unbundled cost of the package I got from Cox, and I think it has no premium movie channels.

What I ended up going for was a bundle for 92.99 before tax - 1.5 MB Internet, 200 channel Cable with no movie channels, I think, and no long distance included. I just wanted to get something quickly. I can downgrade if I want to later.

Steerpike, I had a bunch of details written down, but lost them. I forget what they said about HD. I think you might be able to get what you want for under $100. Thanks for the article on ooma - interesting. I think the box is down to $199 on sale now. It would take around 7 months to recoup the cost of the equipment.

andrzejn, I'll check out MagicJack also. I might give one of them a try, and see how it goes. My brother has had ooma for a few months, and hasn't had any complaints, but I guess the risk they go out of business is significant. My brother has been worried about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area