Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 AM

83 posts, read 206,633 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any specific areas that have problems with scorpions? I am deathly afraid of them and am allergic to the sting as well. We are looking in N. Peoria and Tempe. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:53 AM

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWind View Post
Does anyone know of any specific areas that have problems with scorpions? I am deathly afraid of them and am allergic to the sting as well. We are looking in N. Peoria and Tempe. Any suggestions?
Conventional wisdom is that they are more common in newer areas or areas that border undeveloped desert. The bug experts don't agree and, in reality, there is no place that would be immune from scorpions. You can increase your odds by spraying for other bugs on a regular basis as those bugs are a food source for and attract the scorpions.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
Anyplace that is within a few blocks of a canal is a major hotspot, as are hillsides and natural desert areas. You usually see them in newer developments when ground is disturbed for other houses, roads, etc. Scorpions are not nesters, and typically move from place to place, so newer areas would have this problem.

I owned a house in S. Tempe near Warner in Rural that was supposed to be a scorpion hot spot, and I never saw one. I lived there for over 5 years. I built houses in McDowell Mountain Ranch, and North Mesa, and I would see dozens of them at a time.

I think a good idea may be to ask the listing agent if the previous owner had a problem with scorpions. If it is bank owned, they won't be able to tell you. If you are buying from someone that lived there, they are supposed to be honest with those types of questions, so give it a shot.

If you find scorpions, Sexton Pest Control "guarantees" that you won't get a scorpion in your house if you get your home sealed by them. That usually costs between $1,000-$2,000, and I'm not sure how they can guarantee it, or what the guarantee means, either.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,879,694 times
I don't know about areas in North Peoria or Tempe but here in NE Phoenix we don't have them.
I'm afraid of moving in fear of possibly having that problem somewhere. I couldn't deal with it.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:00 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,025,215 times
Never had a problem with them in downtown either. Have tons of friends in Tempe and none have Scorpion problems but they exist somewhere...you're probably rather safe in the urban areas.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,769,592 times
I'm a native and have never seen a scorpion in and place I ever lived. Also, we have never sprayed for the either. I live in Tempe so if you want to avoid scorpions avoid the new areas that were desert within the past 5 years.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:48 AM

83 posts, read 206,633 times
Thank you for all the info. At this point, I'm just not sure I even want to live there. I would hate to feel like I have to be on my guard everyday concerning these things. That is a lifestyle I am not sure I want, but thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the info. At this point, I'm just not sure I even want to live there. I would hate to feel like I have to be on my guard everyday concerning these things. That is a lifestyle I am not sure I want, but thanks for the info.
Well, if you would die from the sting of one I would stay far away because there is no way you could be sure you won't run across them - they are everywhere in our area whether people have seen them or not.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,439,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well, if you would die from the sting of one I would stay far away because there is no way you could be sure you won't run across them - they are everywhere in our area whether people have seen them or not.
I would agree with your statement.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:45 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,025,215 times
Quote:
The "scorpion lifestyle," LOL beware! I don't think there is a lifestyle that considers scorpions an issue here. If so that would be the lifestyle in California, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, etc etc. Scorpions generally avoid people as they don't want a detrimental lifestyle either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area