Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM

27 posts, read 62,628 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are from the Midwest, and are looking to move, within the next few years, to somewhere in the Southwest. It would seem we have quite a few options given what we're looking for (quiet, safe, dry area.) This fall, we're planning a trip to pass through several cities, but I'd like to just get a local opinion on some of the places we've been eying. So, for Surprise residents, what's the biggest negative quality about your town that an outsider might not think of? What type of person would thrive in your community? What's one (or more) caveat you would pass on to people considering a move to Surprise? Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,111,505 times
I don't live in Surprise, but a coworker does. We work in Tempe, and he spends most of his free time looking for a job closer to home.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM

157 posts, read 422,638 times
Negative thing about Surprise: not enough jobs to support number of people living in it and no decent roads for those people that work outside Surprise.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,245,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post
My fiance and I are from the Midwest, and are looking to move, within the next few years, to somewhere in the Southwest. It would seem we have quite a few options given what we're looking for (quiet, safe, dry area.) This fall, we're planning a trip to pass through several cities, but I'd like to just get a local opinion on some of the places we've been eying. So, for Surprise residents, what's the biggest negative quality about your town that an outsider might not think of? What type of person would thrive in your community? What's one (or more) caveat you would pass on to people considering a move to Surprise? Thank you for your answers.
The major downfall to Surprise are no quality roads in or out of Surprise. You're stuck with Bell Road (Traffic is a nightmare) or the 303 loop (Dangerous road). The other problem with Surprise is there are no quality jobs. Everyone works somewhere else unless you work in retail or service jobs.

I would look at Goodyear as it's closer to everything, have the I-10 to get you in and out and there are some jobs and it's a relatively easy commute to where the rest of the jobs are.

Surprise would be good if you were retired and didn't have to work and deal with a commute.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 PM

568 posts, read 1,208,158 times
Surprise works out well if you have a job in healthcare located there. For example, there are 2 major Banner facilities in Surprise.

If not, the drive is hell. My workmate lives in Surprise...loves it but has to commute 1.5 hrs every morning to make it out to our office in the East Valley. Bummer.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The major downfall to Surprise are no quality roads in or out of Surprise. You're stuck with Bell Road (Traffic is a nightmare) or the 303 loop (Dangerous road). The other problem with Surprise is there are no quality jobs. Everyone works somewhere else unless you work in retail or service jobs.

I would look at Goodyear as it's closer to everything, have the I-10 to get you in and out and there are some jobs and it's a relatively easy commute to where the rest of the jobs are.

Surprise would be good if you were retired and didn't have to work and deal with a commute.
I certainly agree with you on Surprise being road challenged. The other things are those that plague all the new areas - overcrowded schools, ripped-up roads, in need of more shopping (did I say that?). Goodyear is just as bad or worse in all of those areas and I-10 is a parking lot during rush hour. It is OK other times though and it is closer-in parking than anything in Surprise.

On the other hand, Surprise is closer to the mountains and the lakes and that is the only thing about Phoenix that makes living here bearable - it is great when you get out of town.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,526,425 times
Surprise is a great place to raise a family. While it is "road challenged" (with Bell, Grand or Loop 303 being the major ways in and out), once the Loop 303 is made into a freeway (which will happen before long), the traffic situation will ease up a bit. While I think the city could have done better attracting businesses, there are still many places to work within the city limits.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM

157 posts, read 453,989 times
I agree with the road situation. You only have a couple lines in and out, which are clogged all the time. The economic slowdown created a bunch of empty shopping centers. If you like to go out and enjoy a hip, urban environment, Surprise ain't it. Its definitely a family place and is next to Sun City, which is where old folks come to die.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper76 View Post
I agree with the road situation. You only have a couple lines in and out, which are clogged all the time. The economic slowdown created a bunch of empty shopping centers. If you like to go out and enjoy a hip, urban environment, Surprise ain't it. Its definitely a family place and is next to Sun City, which is where old folks come to die.
Well, if you lived in Surprise you wouldn't have far too move when you got older.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM

682 posts, read 2,569,046 times
[quote=tripper76;10688719 Its definitely a family place and is next to Sun City, which is where old folks come to die.[/QUOTE]

The old folks I have seen in Sun City are doing a lot of living, not sitting around waiting to die.

altus2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area