Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 27,628 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a bit of advice. Dh has just been transfered to Phoenix. The job is located just off I-17 by the Metrocenter Mall. We would like to keep the commute to 40 minutes or less.

Here's our specifics: We have two children and living in a safe family area is important to us. Our son is autistic and we need to be in a school district that has strong autism programs. He is high functioning and has mainstreamed in the past but he is in a special ed classroom right now because of some major behavior problems. He does grade level work and we want a district that will actually educate him. Of course, we also want a strong district for our daughter. Living in the right school district is our most important criteria.

We will have about $360,000 in cash to buy a home. We would really like to stay under this. For the right situation, we would be willing to go up to $475,000 though.

Any suggestions on where to focus our housing search? Also, any recommendations for short term housing? We would be willing to sign a 6 month lease but that's about it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM

549 posts, read 1,561,279 times
North of MetroCenter - probably towards the Desert Ridge area or Arrowhead areas along the 101 west and east of the I-17 interchange. Those are very nice areas with good schools. East of I-17, the area around Central and Camelback and northwards, is also very nice, and surprisingly green, for Phoenix.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
You can check schools' ratings on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link). They also list the office numbers so you can call the individual school to find out about special services aoffered; not to say the services are any good, just if they are offered at all. From the cities where I or family have lived, I'd have to say they are pretty accurate on the school ratings.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,222,179 times
Sign a 6 month lease, and look around for yourself.

Don't rush into a quarter million plus decision.

$375k will buy A LOT of house in this economy. You don't even need to spend half that much to get a real decent house.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Sign a 6 month lease, and look around for yourself.

Don't rush into a quarter million plus decision.

$375k will buy A LOT of house in this economy. You don't even need to spend half that much to get a real decent house.
Good idea in general on renting first, but in their case they have to consider the special needs son and schools. It would likely be very disruptive to him to change schools again after movig here.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM

824 posts, read 2,338,575 times
You should absolutely rent for the first year. It seems far more "disruptive" to hastily purchase something in a neighborhood that may turn out to be less than ideal. Or a school district that may be unsatisfactory, even if it has a strong reputation. I would contact groups that focus on children with autism and ask for advice on school choices. You are far more likely to come across several people in a similar position by doing that. Comfortably rent in the area that you choose, and if you decide to buy something there, you have a cash cushion to make the transition easier.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Perhaps an organization such as this one can give you some advice on schools, as well as other resources you may need in the Phoenix area.

Autism Society of Greater Phoenix

Best of luck, and welcome!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM

270 posts, read 1,111,165 times
Strongly suggest you to follow advices from other posters on renting and contacting local autism society members on local schools' sp. ed. reputation.
Just because a school has an excellent grade on a education website, it does not mean its sp. ed. programs are as excellent. Remember: folks who would rate schools online are likely parents of mainstream students, not sp. ed. parents.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 27,628 times
Thanks everyone. I will definitely contact autism families. I'm sure there are districts with reputations. Our neighborhood school is rated a 10 on greatschools but it wasn't a 10 with us. Our son now goes to a school that is rated a 3 and we are happy with it for him because it has special programs but we wouldn't want to send our daughter there. It would just be ideal for us if our kids could go to the same school because it's hard to have them at two different schools.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,428,065 times
Your son has many places he can go for education and if needed after school programs that cater to children with special needs.

Boulder Creek elementary near Deer Valley and Cave Creek Rd has a great special education program, my fiance works with 6-7 kids who go to that school, and from the parents have told her its the best in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: