Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Anyway I agree Downtown isnt what it use to be, and right now is slow since ASU is out. Once school is back it will be BAU.
If empty storefronts, unfinished buildings, and counting (pun intended) on a population that is only present 8 months of the year are acceptable as BAU, then Tempe is in serious trouble. Tempe should reverse the damage and allow Mill Ave to go back to being a collection of funky shops, dive bars, and indie restaurants that made Mill Ave a success financially and a tourist attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,771,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty.deville View Post
If empty storefronts, unfinished buildings, and counting (pun intended) on a population that is only present 8 months of the year are acceptable as BAU, then Tempe is in serious trouble. Tempe should reverse the damage and allow Mill Ave to go back to being a collection of funky shops, dive bars, and indie restaurants that made Mill Ave a success financially and a tourist attraction.
A lot of the empty storefronts is because of the centerpoint project that went bust. Also, some placed move to Tempe marketplace which didnt help. I was also reading an article about how the landlords still want crazy prices for storefronts and are not willing to budge. So until they lower the rent you wont see any indie store there anytime soon.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty.deville View Post
I would like to know what you want the City of Tempe to do to attract funky shops, dive bars and indie restaurants. Please be specific with your reply. Are you talking subsidies by the city to only locally owned establishments?

I do agree that more local owned non-chain businesses are preferable to the chains, but it is possible for non corporate owned places to survive as well. I look at places that I assume are locally owned, such as Caffe Boa, Tavern on Mill, Monti's, House of Tricks, Restaurant Mexico, Chuckbox, etc. and they are all thriving. Meanwhile some of the chains like Pizzeria Uno and Coffee Plantations moved out, and places like Five Guys Burgers moved in. Fact is, you go to any high rent district with high pedestrian traffic, like Mill Avenue, you're going to see a lot of chains. It's when you get off the beaten path a bit that you start to see the dive's. Apache Boulevard or South Mill Avenue with lower rents would be a more appropriate place for those kinds of establishments.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM

159 posts, read 397,791 times
I stopped going to Mill when they closed Long Wongs a few years back. At that time, it seemed like Mill was being taken over by the big chains. I do keep thinking about going back to the Chuckbox sometime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area