Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,876 times

Advertisements

<<To sum it up, if you have the money, you can play here and have a good time, but if you dont there aren't many simple pleasures to enjoy on a day to day basis in the actual city of Phx itself.>>

Hmm...how about friends. Family. The smile of a neighbor. A deck of cards and dips/chip. Maybe you're thinking too much on a materialistic level of things. I've made a lot of friends in Phoenix, true friends; that alone has been worth the trip. One nice thing about Phoenix is, it's not pretentious and the majority of people aren't either. We're just folks getting by. But just because we working-class folks don't have toys doesn't mean we aren't having fun here in the Valley of the Sun. Phoenicians may be hard-working, but in general we're not a rat-race type of culture. We don't need to impress our neighbors with fancy gizmos in order to be happy.

As for simple pleasures right here in the city, I am just a few miles drive from hiking right here in the middle of the city. And yeah, during the summer I get up at 5am to go hiking, even on weekends because I love the nature, the tranquility, to see the people walking their dogs, and I also get to see rabbits and chipmunks. The most amazing thing though, is, when you get to the top of a 'peak'(yeah, maybe not Everest but whatever), you can really see the whole valley, and it is a lovely view. One can't help but thinking of history at that point, and how it must have felt for earlier settlers(whether they be indigenous peoples, colonialists, or whatever) to have looked out from that same height so long ago, and what would they think if they could see it today? There's something very primal and re-assuring to be able to see one's entire city from above; it's a unique way of connecting to both past and present that I had never experienced while living in South Florida. And what does it cost? Nothing if I walk or bicycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
<<To sum it up, if you have the money, you can play here and have a good time, but if you dont there aren't many simple pleasures to enjoy on a day to day basis in the actual city of Phx itself.>>

Hmm...how about friends. Family. The smile of a neighbor. A deck of cards and dips/chip. Maybe you're thinking too much on a materialistic level of things. I've made a lot of friends in Phoenix, true friends; that alone has been worth the trip. One nice thing about Phoenix is, it's not pretentious and the majority of people aren't either. We're just folks getting by. But just because we working-class folks don't have toys doesn't mean we aren't having fun here in the Valley of the Sun. Phoenicians may be hard-working, but in general we're not a rat-race type of culture. We don't need to impress our neighbors with fancy gizmos in order to be happy.

As for simple pleasures right here in the city, I am just a few miles drive from hiking right here in the middle of the city. And yeah, during the summer I get up at 5am to go hiking, even on weekends because I love the nature, the tranquility, to see the people walking their dogs, and I also get to see rabbits and chipmunks. The most amazing thing though, is, when you get to the top of a 'peak'(yeah, maybe not Everest but whatever), you can really see the whole valley, and it is a lovely view. One can't help but thinking of history at that point, and how it must have felt for earlier settlers(whether they be indigenous peoples, colonialists, or whatever) to have looked out from that same height so long ago, and what would they think if they could see it today? There's something very primal and re-assuring to be able to see one's entire city from above; it's a unique way of connecting to both past and present that I had never experienced while living in South Florida. And what does it cost? Nothing if I walk or bicycle.
Yes, I do agree that family / friends make all the difference and some of the best times are had doing simple things like hanging out, BBQing, playing cards, whatever. I am very far from being materialistic.

People should live whereever it is to be closest to those they love. No amount of sunshine or romping in the desert, boating will take the place of good times shared with people you care about. That is more of a philosophical point, and not really a question of what is the city of Phoenix like? It wouldn't matter what city a person asked about. If the question was... should I move to (fill in the blank) to be closer to my family, the answer would always be yes.

I have actually seen my fair share of pretentious people here, and don't agree about the easy going working class crowd that you speak about. Ya, they are here and there, but generally speaking, I wouldn't call a city that centers itself on high end golf courses, spas & resorts, gated communities and residents that obsess over manicured perfectionism an unpretentious group. For instance, if you just take Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Carefree, Fountain Hills, Rio Verde for starters, then add on All the sun cities too, you have probably got a good 50% of the city that contains pretentious white collar yuppies, or cranky retirees.

You probably won't roll into town knowing no one and have everyone wave at you and offer you a beer. More likely they won't even look at you, they will speed past you, windows rolled up, AC on and pull into their automatic garage. Its a big city, and I don't expect more than that, but to say the whole city is loaded with this super cool crowd of neighbors smiling at one another isn't really the case. (before someone flames me for that remark, I'll say it... NO, I don't think anywhere does that, but Xica made it sound like Phoenix does)

I think you sound pretty cool though Xica, I like your attitude and am only venting my own opinions here and not trying to argue. I wish my neighborhors were more like you, but they are not, and I don't even live in a ritzy area. My experience is just different than what you wrote is all I'm saying here.

The comments I made were addressing people who have no family or friends here at all and they are wondering what its like here and ask the question, should I move there?

BTW, I love hiking too and I said early on, if you love hiking you will love it here... so no disagreement there. But I am looking forward to going someplace new that offers hiking as well as other things. Still looking....

Last edited by cmist; 11-05-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 AM

10 posts, read 22,194 times
Cmist your posts crack me up cause they are really raw but true!

I lived in Phx before in a so called working class area and there were more bikers on meth than people smiling at me. I would be really thrown off guard if anyone in that neighborhood smiled at me, that would not be normal for phx. whats worse is the model home salesperson said to me on closing day that she’d be surprised if the whole community itself could join together and make a full set of teeth!!!! Can you believe that??? It was said in a joke, but they aren’t supposed to say things like that, right??? Isn’t there some rule about disclosing how many teeth your neighbor has??? I found that really rude but it’s a pretty good example of a cheezy phoenix snob looking down on the working class, and that’s all over the place.

Hey Xilca, I ate lots of chips and dip in Phoenix, but now, I eat them a lot here in Hawaii where I live now. Maybe it’s the cool ocean breeze but I think the chips are more fun to eat here and they taste better too! maybe the bean dip is better there Ill give ya that.

Cmist If you are looking for a place where your neighbors are real chill and have a good vibe goin, you can find that here. They will offer you a beer, and just shoot the breeze. Everyone has huge fish roasts on the beach almost every weekend, and they all come from different backgrounds and still mesh well. Locals, wealthy, fisherman, surfers, we got it all and we all hang together. It don’t feel as clickish as phoenix where only people of the same caliber mesh. The dockers and polos all hang together if ya catch me, but the mood is way different here more respect for all kinds than there.

In Hawaii we got the desert and some cactus down near Kihei if you ever miss it and a rainforest on the way to hana in the east. Huge volcano in the middle and beaches are close to everyone. forget about flagstaff and payson!!! Yuck. Hawaii has way more variety in terrain than az and its all even closer together than phx is to the northlands.

oooh and have you ever tried a puka dog?? YUMMM!!!

Now heres my bad news - I gotta go back to Phoenix for about 6 months that’s why I am looking at the board here. I haven’t given that place a second thought since I left and I get a knot in my stomach just thinkin about it. Im in Dallas for a few weeks and then Im headin out there. I was sittin in a hotel scanning the forum and when I saw your posts, I read them to my friends in Hawaii. We were rollin on the floor laughing!!! and then how mad everyone got made it even funnier!! keep it goin bro dont let them turn you into a reptile too!

I don’t like golf, gated communities or shopping. I found very little to do there too. for a city so big its a real disappointment and Im easy to please. I dont need a theme park. some of the best times I had in Hawaii was just hangin out a little burger hut and watching the rain come down and pour off the thatched roof. It kinda came outa nowhere and we all were just feelin' good for no other reason. your right the weather there is boring and predictable like everything else in the city. Endless sunshine aint all its cracked up to be. You guys can rant and rave all you want about your nonstop dry heat. It still doesnt beat Hawaii. Ill take my rainy burger day over a full day of golfing in the sun or shopping at the borgata anytime.

My friends in Hawaii are having a party this weekend in my honor with a theme of what I can do for fun in Phoenix while I’m here all alone. Its gonna be funny, and when they get it done they are gonna post it and spread some laughter. I think you could use it!
Cheers

Last edited by hawaiianhaole; 11-06-2009 at 03:14 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 AM

16 posts, read 42,680 times
I agree with you! Can´t wait to be back in AZ only 8 months left!!! There is a blizzard outside..

Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,886 times
It's great except for the heat, traffic, Moderator cut: racist

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,084,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunate View Post
Shame that most people who live in the Phoenix area never get around most of this beautiful and diverse state. AZ Highways magazine every few years has an issue, "AZ the Everywhere State" showing beautiful places around the US, then similar spots here. Aside from all the desert landscaping, the mountains, the world's largest Ponderosa Pine Forest, we have beautiful rivers and lakes for kayaking and boating, two great ski areas about 3 hours from Phoenix, the Sea of Cortez just a few hours away for bigger boating or beaches. Southern CA and Nevada and New Mexico, Utah and Colorado are close by if you run out of places in AZ like Lake Powell, Monument Valley, etc. It would take a good part of most lifetimes to see and enjoy it all. Aside from the new MVD license requirements about riding in the desert, there are so many places to drive, ATV, cycle off road. We have great hunting and fishing. The Phoenix area itself has lots of arts, entertainment, gourmet dining and enough activities to keep anyone busy. If you have trouble meeting friends, Meetup.com has about 600 groups of every imaginable activity, hobby, sport, etc. where you can find friends and keep busy. The house market has slumped but not as bad as many states and now is a great time to buy with some incredible deals. Phoenix architecture is much more attractive than many parts of the country where ugly junk builder homes appeal to the tasteless. The job market in many fields isn't great but again not nearly as bad as in many states. If you can't find something to really enjoy here, you're just not trying or totally unimaginative. There may be some crime and illegals but most Hispanics here are hard working and lots of fun if you get to know them.
Arizona has more parks and national monuments than any other state, more mountains than Switzerland, and more golf courses than Scotland.
The sun shines in southern Arizona 85% of the time, which is considerably more sunshine than Florida or Hawaii. Arizona also frequently has the hottest and coldest temperatures on the same day. The temperature could be 75 degrees in the desert to 45 degrees in the high country.

Camels were used at one time to transport goods across Arizona.

Historically, Arizona’s strongest economic support came from the Four C’s – cotton, copper, cattle, and citrus. In recent years, a fifth – climate – has been added.

Arizona has the largest percentage of its land set aside and designated as Indian lands.

The Anasazi Indians made waterproof baskets that they cooked in. They put hot rocks in with the food to cook it.

The world’s largest solar telescope is located at Kitts Peak National Observatory in the city of Sells.

The Navajo Reservation, the nation's largest reservation, lies primarily in Arizona and extends into Utah and New Mexico.

In 1876 the Chiricahua Apache chief Geronimo began ten years of raids against white settlements when the U.S. government attempted to move his tribe from their traditional home in Arizona to a reservation in New Mexico.

Arizona became the home of the first major irrigation project by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation when former U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt dedicated a dam on the Salt River in 1911.

The original London Bridge was shipped stone-by-stone and reconstructed in Lake Havasu City.

Arizona observes Mountain Standard Time on a year round basis, never observing daylight savings time, no changing the old clocks!

I'll tell ya the truth, I am leaving here for Cape Cod, MA but in my search for places to leave too I didn't find a lot. That being stated, AZ isn't that bad of a state, better than a lot for sure. I'm glad you enjoy it so much! Hope all that finds this their dream state do the same.

It's easy to promote this state, or any state for that matter, that might be why you find so many that are disillusioned after they get here though, I don't think it's that everyone is unimaginative as you say, everyone has a hand they need to fit with a glove. While your hand fits here, others fit somewhere else.
Just thought I would add to your list. Most of it is from "Things to do.com" There you can see all the wonderful places to see in every state in the U.S. It's a great country, thats for sure. Find your nit-ch, and you'll be happy people. lol

What do illegals have to do with being friends with a fun Mexican? That one puzzles me, but the fact is the Mexicans stole this land from the Indians and the cowboys stole it from the Mexicans, if you don't like living with all of these types of people then you're outta luck. We are basically cowboys, indians and mexicans with some transplants thrown in, although a little more modern now. (by the way, this isn't suppose to be a true history lesson)

Last edited by twiggy; 11-06-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,636 times
A North Carolina native here.....Phoenix is great.....Visited several times and loved it....Actually looking to relocate by end of 2010. I think you either love it or hate it. Coming from North Carolina, Phoenix is actually a welcome change. Phoenix is very 'scenic"/affordable/eclectic/....not exactly Charlotte, NC.... If anyone is familiar with Charlotte...then you know what I mean....

Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
I can't wait to head out there from LA. I put my income into a "cost of living calculator" for the fun of it, and it spit out that I could make 74% less than I'm making in LA if i moved there.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
It's great except for the heat, traffic, Moderator cut: racist
I know that there are people out there who dislike the heat in PHX but it is a dry heat and that makes a difference. I can say that because I've experienced both types. And it also does not last the whole year. But yeah, I totally know what you're saying. 115-120F even in dry heat is a challenge to deal with. And traffic? L.A. has way worse traffic than PHX.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 AM

857 posts, read 1,734,203 times
I agree with what much of the original poster had to say about positive aspects of Phoenix and Arizona.

However, the economy tends to make people become unhappy, and unable to appreciate the natural surroundings and the cultural amenities.

And, much of the exceptional and admirable growth in Phoenix hasn't made it to Prescott, Flagstaff, and Sedona.

For example, thousands of people drive hundreds of miles from these Northern Arizona cities to Phoenix, to see Doctors and to shop at Big Box stores.

And, someone mentioned air pollution. Air pollution is proportional to population.

It would be best to move more growth to Prescott, Tucson, Sedona, and Flagstaff, to prevent the Phoenix air pollution from getting worse. Especially now that latex has been recently implicated as a major neurological and immunotoxicological toxin from tires.

However that would step on private property rights, so how about alternatively, construct another Palo Verde nuclear power plant, and run non-polluting electric cars in the Phoenix Valley (or, solar powered cars if you dislike nuclear).

In fact, it is unusual for a state of 6 million persons to only have two metro regions of 100,000 or more (Phoenix & Tucson).

Normally you'd see half a dozen or so medium sized markets of 100K to 500K. Flagstaff and Prescott / Prescott Valley - could each grow very nicely by way of sattelite offices of Phoenix high tech businesses into towns of 250K, and expand Richard Florida's Phoenix-Tucson mega-region of economic growth statewide -

maps : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I can't wait to head out there from LA. I put my income into a "cost of living calculator" for the fun of it, and it spit out that I could make 74% less than I'm making in LA if i moved there.
Yes indeed - income. Arizona has significant income discrepancy between the rich and the poor, with less of a middle class, compared to places on the West Coast such as the Bay Area, Seattle, Portland. Arizona is a right to work state w/ limited union representation and a large tourism industry with low wages. Increasing the minimum wage to $9.75 an hour would help, among other interventions . . . such as recruiting high tech companies into economically depressed areas such a Flagstaff and Prescott . . .

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 11-14-2009 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Minimum Wage $9.75/hr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area