Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,369 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm currently living with my family in the Ahwatukee Foothills area and I'm going to be working in the PV area near Shea/Tatum Blvd intersection. Taking the I-10 freeway from Ahwatukee, would it be faster and easier to exit onto the Hohokahm 143 expressway and go north on 44th that will wind into Tatum, or would it be better to take the I-10 to the 51 and go north to Shea?

If anybody has better commute advice to and from PV than those 2 routes I'd sure appreciate it.

Also in the near future I might want to get my own apartment near my job. What are the average rents going for a decent apartment in the PV area right now?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I live in the Ahwatukee area. Worked in Arcadia on 44th street for 18 months in 2006. I think it would be slower to go the 51 route than to go up the 143. Go straight north on 44th and keep going! It curves to the east a bit and goes east-west a bit, then curves back north, becomes Tatum going north. Shea is just up a way from there. If you want to go the freeway route, take the 101 north. But I think you are better off going up 48th street or the 10 to the 143 and then take McDowell west to 44th, then stay north on 44th.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldb View Post
Hello.

I'm currently living with my family in the Ahwatukee Foothills area and I'm going to be working in the PV area near Shea/Tatum Blvd intersection. Taking the I-10 freeway from Ahwatukee, would it be faster and easier to exit onto the Hohokahm 143 expressway and go north on 44th that will wind into Tatum, or would it be better to take the I-10 to the 51 and go north to Shea?

If anybody has better commute advice to and from PV than those 2 routes I'd sure appreciate it.

Also in the near future I might want to get my own apartment near my job. What are the average rents going for a decent apartment in the PV area right now?

Thank you.
I second the 143 route. The problem with the 51 is going around the airport on the 10 in the morning. You, and everybody else are driving the same direction. Exiting at the airport and going north on Tatum, you'll be up at Shea and Tatum very quickly.

Depending on the exact location from which you are departing Ahwatukee, you could use the 202, drive north on the 101, and exit at Shea. Or, drive a mile or two east on Elliott or Warner, north to the 60, to the 101, to Shea. Using this route, there is a little traffic at the red mountain freeway, but not too much. I've done the commute both ways from North Scottsdale.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,594 times
I have driven this commute in both directions regularly (lived in Ahwatukee, now live close to Tatum/Shea) - getting out of Ahwatukee on the 10 can be troublesome, but I'm inclined to think that once you pass the 60 interchange and the Broadway curve, you might be home free and the 51 will be, by far, your best bet. Using historical traffic data, Google Maps seems to agree with that. I'm heading down to Ahwatukee tomorrow and I'll keep an eye on the traffic coming the opposite direction.

I've taken Tatum/44th down and up plenty of times, too. Sometimes you hit the lights, sometimes you don't. Sometimes people drive fine, sometimes extra slow. I think it's a much better drive - not for time, but for enjoyment. Driving through Paradise Valley between the mountains is great.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
The problem with taking the 44th Street/Tatum Boulevard route is the photo radar through Paradise Valley. I believe they were one of the first municipalities in the nation to implement photo radar, and they still use it periodically along Tatum. The speed limit through there is only 40 MPH, vs. 55 to 65 MPH on the 51 freeway. Also, heading north in the opposite direction from the majority of morning rush hour traffic wouldn't be as congested using the 51.

As far as rent is concerned, Paradise Valley (the town) is a very high rent area due to it being exclusively wealthy. However, the area around Tatum & Shea, and up near Paradise Valley Mall is more middle class ... so while I'm not sure of the average prices for apartments, you would likely pay a lot less the further north you go from the town of PV.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
There are no apartments at all in the TOWN of Paradise Valley even if they would be affordable, but in the vicinity of Tatum Blvd around Shea, Cactus, you should find several.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,369 times
Thank you to everyone that replied.

I found that driving the 51 can be a pain in the neck, especially turning on Shea Blvd. It's much easier to take 44th. Lots of stoplights to contend with but at least it's not crazy like the freeways.

Now I need to find an apartment. I looked at Summit right across from Paradise Valley Mall and the rent is nearly $700 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. That's not too bad I guess but I'm trying to go a little cheaper for now and still stay close to my job in PV.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:02 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
donaldb,

Yeah I was surprised when observer53 said no apartments at all in PV. The PV mall is in PV right? It's been years since I was in that area but it appeared back then there are apartments across from the mall there. $700 per month sounds about right for that area. But in a year I would bet you could negotiate them for $650 or even $600. There will be a lot more foreclosures on the market in a year. I base this on projections of the unemployment rate to 12% in Maricopa Cty and the option ARM resets and shadow inventory coming on the market.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
The PV mall is in PV right?
no, PV Mall is in the City of Phoenix, actually....

the Town of Paradise Valley does not have apartments or a mall....

the geographical region of northeast Phoenix known as Paradise Valley has PV Mall and tons of apartments....

sorry to get picky, but some are confused over this issue....thanks

Old 11-27-2009, 03:33 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldb View Post
Now I need to find an apartment. I looked at Summit right across from Paradise Valley Mall and the rent is nearly $700 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. That's not too bad I guess but I'm trying to go a little cheaper for now and still stay close to my job in PV.
That's pretty average for a one bedroom apartment nowadays. If you're looking to go cheaper, chances are you will end up in a cheaper part of Phoenix that is less desirable. Paradise Valley area (NE Phoenix) is highly middle, or upper middle class. Crime and questionable characters can be found in all parts of the city, but that area is without a doubt one of the better areas that you'll probably be able to find a decent place of your own without paying through the nose. In fact, I think $700 per month is pretty reasonable for an area like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area