Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:30 AM

172 posts, read 423,009 times

Advertisements

I bought cash and planned to sell and move in four years, and then the housing bubble popped & the recession hit. The best advice ever is - rent! Put your house cash to work in safer short term investment instruments until there really is stability in housing and the economy. I sincerely believe we have more downside to come in housing, employment, and the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,573,562 times
Yes. Even 52 week T-bills earning 0.32% have a higher potential return than real estate over the next few years of double digit unemployment and option ARM resets. I think Maricopa county RE will depreciate 10% to 30% more by the end of 2012, especially when the shadow inventory goes back onto the market. In other words, the probability of you getting your principle back is much higher with T-bills than with a cash purchase house in the next four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
I'd say there's even more downside for cash buyers! You don't pay interest, but you do lose the interest income you could have made (which offsets the cost of rent). Plus for cash buyers there's no SHORT SALE if prices drop -- it's REAL money you are losing, rather than asking the bank to eat it and walk away.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM

172 posts, read 423,009 times
I was the chosen one in my family (widower, no children to look after, reasonably OK financially). I needed to be close to a family member with health issues. The apartment/rental situation and selection out here was pretty ugly when I arrived. I like most, had no idea that we were on the precipice of a big recession, a country full of liar borrowers, and a government intent upon debt spending policies to keep the USA ship afloat. Four years was the time frame the family member could have been predicted to be living (they passed just more than two years ago). I live in regrets about events in my life, but I don't beat myself up to much for my decision to buy a house as I had no way to know what was to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area