Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Are they adding jobs to the area?
Yes, 250+ a build out in over a year just for the Headquarter facility however. There will be other jobs created to serve operation of such a facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

178 posts, read 480,652 times
I'm happy for the simple reason that Solar is in development locally. I however am sad that only German and Chinese companies have planted seeds here. I would like to see American companies take and plant a solar green foot in this Valley of the Sun. This way not only would 250 jobs be at the plant but there would be more jobs at the headquarters plus money in the American Banks.

Yay for Solar! But Bummer for keeping Corporate America.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post
I'm happy for the simple reason that Solar is in development locally. I however am sad that only German and Chinese companies have planted seeds here. I would like to see American companies take and plant a solar green foot in this Valley of the Sun. This way not only would 250 jobs be at the plant but there would be more jobs at the headquarters plus money in the American Banks.

Yay for Solar! But Bummer for keeping Corporate America.
Unfortunately, many of the large solar corporations are not Americans. America hasn't been too kind to these types of enterprises. China and Germany are the World leaders in solar technology and research. ASU and a few other American universities are trying to change that but for the most part, the U.S. has let solar slip by so there aren't many American companies in the first place.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 PM

135 posts, read 542,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Unfortunately, many of the large solar corporations are not Americans. America hasn't been too kind to these types of enterprises. China and Germany are the World leaders in solar technology and research. ASU and a few other American universities are trying to change that but for the most part, the U.S. has let solar slip by so there aren't many American companies in the first place.
Can anyone tell me why solar energy hasn't taken hold in the United States? I can speculate and suspect the oil companies might be behind it...might I be right?

Just curious....it seems to me Arizona would have stepped up years ago to be first where this kind of technology is concerned, we have so many days of sunshine....

Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Fife-Bell View Post
Can anyone tell me why solar energy hasn't taken hold in the United States? I can speculate and suspect the oil companies might be behind it...might I be right?

Just curious....it seems to me Arizona would have stepped up years ago to be first where this kind of technology is concerned, we have so many days of sunshine....
Oil companies are a huge reason. For one, Europe was and still is a continent that taxes (heavily) the consumption of oil and gas. Therefore, public transportation and alternative energy creation have taken root on the European continent. Another matter is that Americans are far more afraid of change and of new technology compared to Asian and European counterparts. If you've ever been to an Asian or European country, you would be amazed of technology in use there compared to the U.S. It's amazing for the world, and sad for the U.S.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Fife-Bell View Post

Solar energy isn't as big here as it is in Europe and China is because green energy for some reason is a highly political issue in America whereas it is not in the rest of the world and many people (and industries) are fiercely opposed to green energy.

Also, because America doesn't have any comprehensive energy policy, it is difficult to get large investors to put money into expensive research and development of solar energy.

Here is some recent insight on that very issue from CNBC:

Quote:
"We stand to fall farther and farther behind other countries like China and India unless there are fundamental shifts," says Susan MacCormac, chair of the venture capital and cleantech practices at international tech law firm Morrison & Foerster. "The U.S. should catch up, but odds are low that it will."
Quote:
"The UK and other countries took global warming seriously, the US did not," says Mike Rosenfeld, vice counsel for UK Trade and Investment at the British Consulate. "There's energy security and supply issues to think about. For other countries, it's less of a partisan issue than in the U.S. Europe has higher energy costs and sees the end of its oil supply. That's making it think ahead."
from: U.S. May Wind Up Green With Envy - Invest In Green 2009 - Special Report - CNBC.com

Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 PM

The NY Times has an article about the Chinese Solar Company opening a plant in AZ:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/bu...c=rss&src=cnbc

This article says that SunTech (Chinese) is opening a PLANT near Phoenix whereas the AZCentral site says that it is a HEADQUARTERS - do we know what is correct? Is it both?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The NY Times has an article about the Chinese Solar Company opening a plant in AZ:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/bu...c=rss&src=cnbc

This article says that SunTech (Chinese) is opening a PLANT near Phoenix whereas the AZCentral site says that it is a HEADQUARTERS - do we know what is correct? Is it both?
It will be their North American Headquarters with the first manufacturing capability outside of China.

Some more information; Surprise looks to get in on the picture. Four other Solar Companies are negotiating with Arizona and Valley cities to establish themselves here:
http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...h1117side.html

Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
I bet it opens in Chandler or the South Tempe area. There are tons of companies here already and a large Chinese and Asian population reside in Chandler.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Another article about how Phoenix was chosen:

ASU played key role in bringing Suntech Power to Arizona

This shows the four biggest reasons why Phoenix was chosen - we need to pay attention to these to get more companies here:

Quote:
• The tax incentive legislation, Senate Bill 1403.

• A policy of the Arizona Corporation Commission that requires that 15 percent of all Arizona power be generated from a renewable source.

• Arizona's proximity to the big market of California.

• Ties to Arizona State University, including friendships that began years ago in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area