Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDL View Post
My daughter is 2 so no school yet. However I attended public highschool here and had average grades in college prep courses. My parents helped when then could...I guess they would say that I received a normal education for their $5k a year taxes.
I'm just jealous you found a place in NJ where taxes are only $5k... my home in the same area you described (25 miles SE of Philly) will be double that.

My wife and I would like to get down to the Phoenix area eventually because my parents are down there now. Things that gives us cause for concern are the schools... much worse than NJ... the economy down there (completely boom or bust)... and then just the feeling of it being "dirty" down there. I see a lot more boarded up houses covered in graffitti in the Phoenix suburbs than I do in NJ. NJ managed to keep the rifraf restricted to a few pockets.

In the end I think the lower cost of living (I'll likely transfer close to dollar for dollar my income due to my industry) and weather will probably override the concerns we have but they are things to think about.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Things that gives us cause for concern are the schools... much worse than NJ...
If you are good parents, can afford to live in a decent place, and your kid is halfway intelligent you have nothing to worry about.
If you are a bad parents, live in a crappy part of town, and your kid is a dunce you should be very worried. Most schools have programs for "gifted kids" so even if you fail at life and your kid is smart he will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I see a lot more boarded up houses covered in graffitti in the Phoenix suburbs than I do in NJ. NJ managed to keep the rifraf restricted to a few pockets.
I think you are looking in the wrong places. I'm guessing that if you pay 10 grand in property taxes now, and you'll make the same salary here, you will live far away from any of these places. That should also alleviate most concerns about the schools too.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM

29 posts, read 71,949 times
Nemmert...we are in Camden County in a 1,100 sq foot 3 bed 1 bath rancher home. Where do you reside?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
I have lived in Arizona for 8 years (from Illinois). I can honestly says the the educational system here in AZ in broken. My youngest son attended high school here, at a school that was ranked "excelling" and while he would have been an average student in IL, he was a genuis here. Luckily his K - 8th education was good and he had a good foundation.

The AZ state government has made the public schools here the lowest common denominator. Public education is sorely underfunded, a direct result of low taxes (you get what you pay for). If you want a good education you must go private. There is what I consider an abnormally high percentage of students attending private schools, charter schools or being home schooled.

You can get a good education, but you need to do it on your own with private education.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
There is what I consider an abnormally high percentage of students attending private schools, charter schools or being home schooled.

You can get a good education, but you need to do it on your own with private education.
To be clear, charter schools are public schools. They range from very good to just plain awful.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:31 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, probably AND understandable. I lived in the East Coast and North West most of my life so I don't find green and humidity very spiritual either; but I probably took that for granted as well. Although, for some reason, I find more people over their lifetimes feel more connected, spiritually, to places like Arizona and forests in the mountains and Pacific Northwest than in the North East or South...
I think you hit a nail right on this one. It is so true though.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I was an Army Recruiter in New Jersey, the schools are not any better

Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I was an Army Recruiter in New Jersey, the schools are not any better
Yeah I was going to say; ACT/SAT scores are many times higher in Arizona and graduation rates in Jersey are slightly lower than Arizona and Jersey cities are many times lower than AZ cities.

Also, what "suburbs" have boarded up windows with graffiti? Not sure I've seen this in Arizona; I think the poster who wrote that has Detroit confused with Phoenix, LOL!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
To be clear, charter schools are public schools. They range from very good to just plain awful.
So if they are all the same then what is the ponit if being called differences ?
Would someone please explain what is the difference and requirements when enroll in charter scholls ?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:50 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
So if they are all the same then what is the ponit if being called differences ?
Would someone please explain what is the difference and requirements when enroll in charter scholls ?
Charter schools are run by districts that are public. The difference is many charter schools have a focused curriculum; science, art, music, traditional college prep, etc. Many feel charters offer a more challenging course of study but I'm not sure if there is a requirement for attendance. As with a private school like Brophy, I'm not sure you have to test and interview into the school rather than just register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area