Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

From either city, time of day and your actual location in the city will influence that drive time. Even from old town Scottsdale, it's more than 15-20 at the "wrong" time of day. You can get there from either in that time frame fairly regularly, if you don't go too far north in Scottsdale or too far east in Chandler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 AM

25 posts, read 73,413 times
Thanks, What are the top schools in Chandler? What zips should I focus on for young professionals and families with young kids?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
I never encountered snobbishness when I lived in Scottsdale, albeit near old town. You ought to look for the best school performance and aim for that zip. I haven't looked recently but a couple of years ago the best performing district was the Chaparral district. Look in the 85253 zip code.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerrph View Post
Thanks, What are the top schools in Chandler? What zips should I focus on for young professionals and families with young kids?
The Kyrene school district in Chandler is regarded as one of the best, if not the best district in the state. This would be in the 85226 zip code. 85248 is not too far behind, and the high schools in that area are rated as "10's". The only part of Chandler you really need to avoid is downtown Chandler, or anything within a mile radius. If you look in 85226, look in areas that feed Corona del Sol High, and not Chandler High. If you are in 85248, look at schools that feed Hamilton High rather than Chandler High.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 AM

As
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The Kyrene school district in Chandler is regarded as one of the best, if not the best district in the state. This would be in the 85226 zip code. 85248 is not too far behind, and the high schools in that area are rated as "10's". The only part of Chandler you really need to avoid is downtown Chandler, or anything within a mile radius. If you look in 85226, look in areas that feed Corona del Sol High, and not Chandler High. If you are in 85248, look at schools that feed Hamilton High rather than Chandler High.

Kyrene serves only a part of Chandler, (it's primarily south Tempe and Ahwahtukee/Foothills areas of Phx) I'm not sure that all of 85226 is in that attendance area. Hamilton is an excellent high school, there are also very good elementary and jr high schools in south Chandler (85248, 85249 generally).

As far as Scottsdale is concerned, Chaparral isn't s district, it's a attendance area (for Chaparral High School) It's part of the Scottsdale School District.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As

Kyrene serves only a part of Chandler, (it's primarily south Tempe and Ahwahtukee/Foothills areas of Phx) I'm not sure that all of 85226 is in that attendance area. Hamilton is an excellent high school, there are also very good elementary and jr high schools in south Chandler (85248, 85249 generally).

As far as Scottsdale is concerned, Chaparral isn't s district, it's a attendance area (for Chaparral High School) It's part of the Scottsdale School District.

Right, I used to live in Warner Ranch, so I know. The poster was asking about the best school districts in Chandler, and Kyrene is the best. And they can have plenty of nice choices from $400-$450K in that part of Chandler.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 111,650 times
I'd recommend Scottsdale. We have young kids and have lived in zip 85258 for about 3 years now, and couldn't be happier. There is everything you need in Scottsdale and it is a 20min. drive to the airport from where we live (Mc Cormick Ranch). There are lots of kids around and lots of activities and parks. Mc Cormick Ranch Schools are excellent. Ours go to Cochise elementary and I can really recommend it! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the schools here. It is also nice to be an easy drive away from Tempe. We go there often for theater and sports. Also, the commute to Phoenix downtown is 30 minutes and it is easy. Definitely a plus compared to North Scottsdale which is already a bit further away. But all in all, very happy with Scottsdale. It is safe, clean and nice, and kids are happy! Ask if you want to know more about 85258 (older neighborhood= bigger backyards, well maintained houses. Compared to new area cookie cutter houses. Close location to everywhere, easy access to everywhere). I hope that helped.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Both are good places.

In terms of the overall metro area, Scottsdale is a better choice is you want to be in the NE part of the metro area. Chandler is the cornerstone of the SE area. Very similar cities. As mentioned before, it really might come down to where you work.
Scottsdale and Chandler are different in many ways.

Scottsdale is mainly upper-class and snooty people with new money flaunting their wealth. Chandler has some of that but it's more down to earth and middle-class than Scottsdale.

The home prices the op is searching for are more attainable in Chandler. Scottsdale has what the op is wanting but it's more expensive overall.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Scottsdale and Chandler are different in many ways.

Scottsdale is mainly upper-class and snooty people with new money flaunting their wealth. Chandler has some of that but it's more down to earth and middle-class than Scottsdale.

The home prices the op is searching for are more attainable in Chandler. Scottsdale has what the op is wanting but it's more expensive overall.
True. Gasoline, in particular, is much higher in Scottsdale, for no good reason other than they think they can get the higher price. And, apparently, they do.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM

15 posts, read 39,662 times
Scottsdale is more centrally located than Chandler and much more upscale. Although real estate prices are much much higher in Scottsdale than Chandler. Scottsdale has an elite upper class reputation while Chandler is just another average middle class city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area