Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,314,754 times

Advertisements

This was posted over at the Vegas section, but it has relevance here. Vegas is even worse at number 83. It looks like we have a long road ahead of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,530,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This was posted over at the Vegas section, but it has relevance here. Vegas is even worse at number 83. It looks like we have a long road ahead of us.
Is there a link?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Is there a link?
Sorry about that, here it is:

Full List: America's Fastest-Recovering Cities - Forbes.com

Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,073 posts, read 5,081,187 times
Quote:
I stopped listening to Forbes a long time ago, and take their lists with a grain of salt, especially when they voted Chicago one of America's most miserable cities and one of the reasons was the Cubs haven't won the world series since like 1908 or something(not a baseball fan so I wouldnt know) and its like the longest losing streak of any team or something.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,431,223 times
Cool, Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Ventura Metro area of California where I spend most of my time because I can't find a job in Phoenix is 95 on the list. Maybe by the time Oxnard recovers I will be living in Phoenix with a job. lol. Who knows anymore.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,356,514 times
All I know is I went up to P F Changs in Chandler last night for dinner - (As much as I love Casa Grande so far, one of the things we dont have yet are the little higher end restaraunts), and had an almost hour wait to get seated. Had the same experience last Sunday for brunch at our Mimi's here in CG (but only bout 20 mins). Makes me remember the world didnt really come to an end....

Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
All I know is I went up to P F Changs in Chandler last night for dinner - (As much as I love Casa Grande so far, one of the things we dont have yet are the little higher end restaraunts), and had an almost hour wait to get seated. Had the same experience last Sunday for brunch at our Mimi's here in CG (but only bout 20 mins). Makes me remember the world didnt really come to an end....
Surely, that means absolutely nothing regarding the economy. The same could be said for Detroit, which is the hardest hit city. If you go to Gross Point, which is an affluent suburb of Detroit, you will find the same thing you quoted. Does that mean anything regarding the economy, absolutely not.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:15 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,356,514 times
First, although not inner city Detroit by any means, I would not call Casa Grande for sure, or even Chandler for that matter an "affluent" suburb. These are middle class American neighborhoods.

Second, I am not making any macro statements here - only that most people I know live their lives a day at a time, and make their decisions based on the hopes, fears, and feelings they have. When I notice antecdotal evidence that people are out there spending discretionary income, buying new cars (I know two neighbors on my street that have done so in the last month - AFTER CFC), and there are new businesses opening up daily in our little city (Ashley's furniture being the latest), and other things, I remember that the American spirit and drive is still there, and that as I said, the world did not come to an end - Im not stating more or less than that fact.

Are there more people than I wish hurting? Of course! Do I wish even my own business was humming along like 2 years ago? Of course! I am also not saying that the "economy" as a whole is anywhere near where it needs to be, but I like to think that if most people TRULY believed the doom and gloom to come as some on these forums profess (not saying you - your posts seem generally realistic in nature, not tilted too far either way), Im not sure I would be seeing the things I see.

Could all of us that spent 75 bucks last night for dinner and drinks be wrong, and made a big mistake by eating there instead of cooking at home? Yep. But it was nice to see the world going on for the most part, and all those service employees making a living.

Thats all Im saying....

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,581,861 times
sh9730, a packed restaurant does not mean anything. I see packed restaurants in a lot of places. The thing Phoenix has to worry about is when shadow inventory has to come on the market. Eventually it will. It will force my rent to drop again next Fall when there are competing rentals. And I will have even more discretionary income to spend on dining out. My debt to net worth ratio is one half of one percent so I don't mind dining out.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 11-21-2009 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: added a word for emphasis

Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,134,018 times
Quote:
Surely, that means absolutely nothing regarding the economy. The same could be said for Detroit, which is the hardest hit city. If you go to Gross Point, which is an affluent suburb of Detroit, you will find the same thing you quoted. Does that mean anything regarding the economy, absolutely not.

While Grosse Pointe is nice, I prefer Birmingham, MI.

They gots the Old Money.....

Point taken though. Wonderin' out loud how many restaurants closed, forcing everyone that wants to eat out at the last bastions of food fare.

Gonna be interesting to see the fallout in retail sales this year at Christmastime.

On the bright side, with all of the engineers, production managers, etc. taking all of the food serving jobs.... at least they're gettin' tips.

Doom & Gloom aside, we're gonna pull through this mess. If not....oh well.

We'll all be dead in 2012.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area