Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times

Advertisements

Even Merry Maids doesn't clean the inside of the frig unless you pay extra for it. However, they do an incredible job of everything else and they move things to clean under them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Can anyone recommend a good, honest and trustworthy house cleaner in the Goodyear area?
Word of mouth is the best way to find a good housekeeper. Ask your neighbors for their recommendations.

$80 to $100 per cleaning is not all that unusual for your size property. The price you quoted does seem a little high - are you using a service like Merry Maids?

Whatever you do, don't use Craigslist or Backpage. There have been so many reports of scams and rip offs with those locales.

We went through a number of house cleaners before finding a good one - and she is worth MORE than what we pay her!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
For that I price I would offer to come down and clean your home, but why not just clean it yourself and save some money?

Sounds like you're severely overpaying, cleaning should be a $10/hr job tops!
Some people would rather spend their time doing other things than cleaning their home. And, finding a good housekeeper will take MORE than $10.00 an hour. Obviously, you have never hired someone to clean your home.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
You can put up a ad on craigslist and haggle your rates, I personally wouldn't spend more than $10/hr for deep cleaning.

To many scams. To many rip offs on Craigs

Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To many scams. To many rip offs on Craigs
True, but there are also honest folks advertising on it as well. Regardless of how one finds somebody they want to hire, ask for and check references. Also, make a copy or take a picture of their drivers license. If you do those things, you're probably in pretty good shape.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
True, but there are also honest folks advertising on it as well.
I completely agree - there are very honest people there - but, as happens, the "bad apples" often spoil the whole barrel.

Your suggestions are very good and very valid.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
I wish I could afford one or have enough room to justify it, or both...one of these days....

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Thousands of people do it everyday for minimum wage, ever been to a hotel?

Cleaning jobs require no skill, why should they get paid $52/hr? I should quit my $13/hr job and become a house cleaner if I can get suckers like the OP to pay that much.
Have you given your two week notice yet? If you don't mind cleaning houses you can easily make over $13/hour doing it on your own. What are you waiting for?

To answer your original question as to why we don't do it ourself...I work around 70 hours a week at my job and am in the last year of an MBA program, my wife works 40 hours a week outside the home. When we come home it's dinner, laundry, kids, homework, yard work, pool maintenance, etc. It is a nice luxury to be able to pay someone to take the house cleaning off our hands.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Yeah, right. Good luck finding somebody to clean your toilets for $10/hour.
Wow. I used to clean toilets for $5.50 an hour in the 90's. You mean I was underpaid?

Old 11-22-2009, 02:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
To answer your original question as to why we don't do it ourself...I work around 70 hours a week at my job and am in the last year of an MBA program, my wife works 40 hours a week outside the home. When we come home it's dinner, laundry, kids, homework, yard work, pool maintenance, etc. It is a nice luxury to be able to pay someone to take the house cleaning off our hands.
There was a similar discussion about paying for yard care here not too long ago. It's all about the value of your TIME. If you have the extra money, and want to save your spare time for other activities (or RESTING!) I don't see why it's an issue. Day to day housework is one thing, but I'd be handing the heavier stuff over to someone else once in a while, too.

This reminds me of when I was a kid. My mom was a busy schoolteacher, my dad was working out of state. For a period of time, she had someone come in to clean the house from time to time. But, she always had to clean the house to get READY for the cleaning lady . An old "Sniglets" (made up words) calendar I had a few years ago called that process "predustination".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area