Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:35 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,653,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Actually, 2+2 with cats is MORE than 4. I've seen figures on the geometric population explosion over just a year or eighteen months starting with two cats. So, I don't blame apt complexes for trying to restrict cats to truly indoor ones.
Hehe, you silly observer.

I'm right there with you, I don't blame them either. The stray cat population in Phoenix is pretty bad. . not the worst I have seen [Morgantown, WV was THEE worst I'd ever seen in my life in the country so far], but rules and structure definitely needs to be in place in this regard, there are really some potato-head owners out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM

300 posts, read 430,129 times
I don't know about apartment complexes requiring declaring but personally I'd do it to save the curtains and furniture - but ONLY if the cat was staying indoors.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
IWonderWhy you would ever have a cat as a pet?

I'm not going to rip out my dogs teeth because they chew up the occasional item I would not want them to have.

There are ups and downs to pet ownership - if you can't deal with both sides of the coin then don't become an owner

Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM

300 posts, read 430,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
IWonderWhy you would ever have a cat as a pet?

I'm not going to rip out my dogs teeth because they chew up the occasional item I would not want them to have.

There are ups and downs to pet ownership - if you can't deal with both sides of the coin then don't become an owner
We have had a cat as a pet, yes. And, she was declawed and neutered. There were absolutely no adverse issues with her being declawed in the 15+ years we had her. She was declawed (front paws) as a kitten and kept indoors.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 PM

45 posts, read 118,171 times
Quote:
"Indoor cats only" means they do not want cats roaming the property taking a dump in the landscaping - killing it and stinking it up, attracting additional pests and vermin. "Indoor cats only" means population control - as in, an enforcement to help prevent breeding with [other] outdoor cats/strays. 2 + 2 = 4.
I understand policies that require cats to be indoor only. My cat is an indoor only cat and is spayed. Indoor only is not a problem with me - I don't want her to be hit by a car or get into fights with other cats or dogs or any of the other issues with outdoor cats. My concern was only that some apartment complexes may only allow declawed cats based on the different sources of information I came across.

Quote:
I don't know about apartment complexes requiring declaring but personally I'd do it to save the curtains and furniture - but ONLY if the cat was staying indoors.
Based on the information I've read about declawing cats, I would feel like I was putting what was right by my furniture ahead of what is right by my cat and that is not something I am willing to do. There are alternatives (providing appropriate scratching surfaces, clipping their claws, applying "soft paws" plastic caps, etc) that can solve the problem without declawing them.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to start a debate about declawing or having outdoor cats or anything. I was just wondering whether apartment complexes require it since that would make it much harder for me to find a place to live when I move to Phoenix.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM

24,475 posts, read 26,012,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
We have had a cat as a pet, yes. And, she was declawed and neutered. There were absolutely no adverse issues with her being declawed in the 15+ years we had her. She was declawed (front paws) as a kitten and kept indoors.
How do you neuter a she cat?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Hi, I saw the title of this threatd and thought I would respond. I have lived in apartments all my life in various cities. Apartment owners who did not want cats stated that up front. I have never been told that only declawed cats would be allowed. Anyone who used that criteria for accepting cats would be a total and complete @#$@%$% and I would never live in their building even if I didn't have a cat.

Of course they have the right to make any stipulations they want but I would hope no one would comply. Put a cat through torture and rob it of it's natural state just to live in an apartment? Never!

England bans declawing. California I think does too.

I hope you find a nice place for you and your kitty. There are plenty of nice places that would never make such terrible demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: