Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:21 PM

34 posts, read 41,693 times

Advertisements

Thanks JGMotorSport64. Will check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
My parents live in the communities around lincoln and scottsdale road. They walk to get coffee, food, groceries, and the bank. It is also around 1.5/2 miles from Fashion square so they can walk there also. Highly suggest the area.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:02 PM

148 posts, read 279,787 times
I too would recommended central and southern Tempe (zip codes 85282, 85283, 85284) as the northern-most zip (85281) would be skewed to college-aged and rentals due to ASU. I also think western Chandler (85226) would fit your needs. All these areas are very close to the airport, densely suburban or urban, have new construction mixed with older homes, many choices for shopping/restaurants, and (IMO) would hold value or appreciate in a shorter time frame. Many retirement communities are in the far east/west valley; however, Sun Lakes in the southern reaches of Chandler is popular and has many construction types and prices ranges. I did home visits there as an RN and found the people very friendly, social, and active. Less walkable to stores and shops, if I recall. Also, central Scottsdale may be nice for you, especially for walkability

But my favorite areas of all would be the areas around downtown Phoenix (wow has it grown, many new condos and townhomes!!).... also, Encanto...which would encompass many zip codes, including 85012, 85013, 85014, 85015, 85006 and Arcadia, including 85018 and 85251. These areas have lots of stores/eateries, established neighborhoods with greenery and large shade trees, centrally located for the valley, and near to the airport. I like it because it has a greater focus on Mom and Pops and specialty stores with less emphasis on chains. But if you like stores like Trader Joe's, Costcos, and Whole Foods, they are there too (as well as the above areas I mentioned)...

Good luck on your search

Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Thank you I'm not a cookie and Carrob. This is very helpful info. I'm going to head on over to google maps to check out the areas you suggest. We will probably make a trip to Phoenix in the week month or so to check it out in person. Also, if anyone has the location of a coffee shop or grocery store I can center my google map search on. I can probably find the Whole Foods mentioned. Love the idea of mom-and-pop shops vs chains! We generally don't do chains. Although I did say we would consider an active senior community, on second thought probably not. Maybe in our 70s, but right now we think young, feel young, and really enjoy being around younger people and children.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
$300k for 2000 sq ft in a walkable area is a very tall order. I can't think of a fit. I think you'll need to up your budget or change one of your parameters.

The area of Arcadia near LGO is what immediately came to mind but that won't work. Old Town Scottsdale may work if you're ok with an older home that needs work. The Phoenix historic districts would also be a fit if you can accept a smaller home or increase your budget.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Thanks, DetroitN8V. Let's say the size of the house was smaller. Are there other areas. What is LGO...and why wouldn't Arcadia work? When you say the Phoeniz historic districts, where would that be?

Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suigenaris View Post
Thanks, DetroitN8V. Let's say the size of the house was smaller. Are there other areas. What is LGO...and why wouldn't Arcadia work?
Arcadia is a lovely neighborhood with well-maintained homes, generally on large lots. I've been looking there myself. I'm not sure we can afford it -- and our budget is over a million.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suigenaris View Post
Thanks, DetroitN8V. Let's say the size of the house was smaller. Are there other areas. What is LGO...and why wouldn't Arcadia work? When you say the Phoeniz historic districts, where would that be?
La Grande Orange. A great neighborhood breakfast and pizza spot. Arcadia requires big bucks.

McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale actually comes to mind now that I read that you are ok with condos and townhomes. It's a beautiful area with a few coffee shops, some great restaurants, etc. surrounded by complexes and houses. Search 85258 and keep your search close to Lake Marguerite or The Vig.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:10 PM

Well, Arcadia is certainly out of the question for us, then. With retirement on the horizon, we're looking to ease out of a mortgage altogether over the next few years!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
La Grande Orange. A great neighborhood breakfast and pizza spot. Arcadia requires big bucks.

McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale actually comes to mind now that I read that you are ok with condos and townhomes. It's a beautiful area with a few coffee shops, some great restaurants, etc. surrounded by complexes and houses. Search 85258 and keep your search close to Lake Marguerite or The Vig.
Oooohhh...thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll take a look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area