Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM

308 posts, read 794,400 times

Advertisements

When it comes right down to it dirtbarbie, moving to AZ is the same as moving anywhere. If you do your homework and go in to it with your eyes open, there won't be any huge surprises. Two months ago my wife and I moved to Sierra Vista from upstate NY without knowing a soul and with no jobs lined up (may not be for everyone). We had savings from the sale of our house to use if necessary, but both have jobs now and are doing fine. It is what you make of it. We are making less than in NY, but spending less too. I certainly know what you mean about needing a change, and say do your research and go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM

109 posts, read 365,653 times
I agree. Never be discouraged. Every person is an individual and outcomes can be totally different for similar people in the same circumstances.

I moved from WA back to TX without knowing anyone there and it was just fine. It did not work out in GA but then again, I have hundreds of (estranged and distant) family members and it was still not pleasant.

So it is okay to plan ahead but always keep a contingency plan or two as a back up. That's what I learned from being in GA. Don't expect ANYONE to help you. Try connecting with someone locally who's single and might also want to live in Phoenix.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,664 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input. Again the positive AND negative input (was a post deleted?) has made me all the more resolute and painted a clear picture of what I am getting into. Some of you drew a line in the sand and I am going to cross it! I hope those of you who have been out of work for a very long time can find something suitable... if you are an engineer you indeed may have a hard time competing with someone like me for a job at Krispy Kreme, or the housecleaning business, or any other job in the 'very low-paying service industries that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future'. Jobs like that have been my bread and butter all my life, and do not require a degree, just a good attitude. I may be more qualified than some in that I would be happy there, and you would be miserable. In that sense, maybe I'm not the one who is the 'outsider' in that job market. Just an observation.

However it works out, I will be happy. If I go to Phoenix, have a hard time finding work, and have to spend a couple months outside climbing because I have nothing else to do... I will be ok with that. Then I will go somewhere else. I have a Plan B and a Plan C, niether of which involve going on the public dole, lest there not be enough for the out of work engineers

Now, I would really like to hear from some people 'like me' who like thier neighborhood, or who could tell me where I would likely NOT want to live.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,147,290 times
I've lived here 5 short years and while there have been some challenges, life is good.

I had a job offer here in Phoenix before I moved and the place was a joke....lasted 7 months. The apartment that I first lived in was OK, as the rent was so cheap it made everything else a cakewalk.

I'm a machinist in the aerospace industry, and even though the economy is in the crapper there still is a lot of work to do.

I met my wife out here and have some great friends....priceless. Glad I moved here.

We live on the west side of Phoenix; quite close to Glendale. Mostly older block homes in our neighborhood and yes, all of the homes look different. A quiet community with lots of good stuff close by.

Good luck to you dirtbarbie, you're gonna have a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area