Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,271 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fiance and I are interested in moving to the Phoenix area. We currently live in a suburb of Chicago. I have been looking at other threads trying to figure out what areas are safe family friendly areas for a budget of about 200,000. However, what I have noticed is, that, what may seem dangerous or a bad area to some, may not be what we would consider a bad area.
It seems as if some people consider areas with a large number of "working class" people to be a bad area, others seem to think that a large number of Hispanics is a bad area.
To us, gang activity and shootings is a bad area. I guess it all depends on where you come from. I live about 15 min. from the west side of Chicago where there are prostitutes and drug dealers stepping over homeless people. This would be a bad area for a Chicagoan.
We just want to find a neighborhood where my child can play outside without the fear of a drive by or abduction. A place where we don't have to worry about whether or not every window and door is securely locked. A place where the majority of people speak English. (not that we are racist, I just come from an area where you have to read Arabic to know what store you are going to....) And finally, a place with good schools.
If there is anyone out there that could help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,816 times
Plainly speaking, ANYWHERE in metro Phoenix except a few of the worst little "hoods" like, hmmm, thinking, maybe somewhere in S. Central and Maryvale? There aren't too many areas where gun violence on the streets occur like Chicago and prostitutes freely roaming the street in Phoenix are rare and few especially compared to parts of Vegas, L.A., New York, Philly , and Chicago...

The majority of the people in Phoenix (hispanic or not, Mexican or not) speak english! Drive bys and abductions are rare in Phoenix. If you are an illegal paying for a coyote to run you across the border and get dropped in a house, then you'll be "kidnapped" until you are arrested from the drop house.

If you want a suburban environment look into Ahwatukee, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, Surprise, Goodyear (Estrella, Palm Valley), North Phoenix, Peoria, Glendale, Litchfield Park...basically all the suburbs of Phoenix. If you want urban, just look into Tempe near the light rail and university and central Phoenix. Some of the best school districts in the area are Scottsdale Uni, Kyrene (Tempe, Chandler, Ahwatukee), Madison (central Phoenix), Mesa, Peoria Uni, Paradise Valley, Washington, etc...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-01-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM

112 posts, read 130,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenealy View Post
Hello, my fiance and I are interested in moving to the Phoenix area. We currently live in a suburb of Chicago. I have been looking at other threads trying to figure out what areas are safe family friendly areas for a budget of about 200,000. However, what I have noticed is, that, what may seem dangerous or a bad area to some, may not be what we would consider a bad area.
It seems as if some people consider areas with a large number of "working class" people to be a bad area, others seem to think that a large number of Hispanics is a bad area.
To us, gang activity and shootings is a bad area. I guess it all depends on where you come from. I live about 15 min. from the west side of Chicago where there are prostitutes and drug dealers stepping over homeless people. This would be a bad area for a Chicagoan.
We just want to find a neighborhood where my child can play outside without the fear of a drive by or abduction. A place where we don't have to worry about whether or not every window and door is securely locked. A place where the majority of people speak English. (not that we are racist, I just come from an area where you have to read Arabic to know what store you are going to....) And finally, a place with good schools.
If there is anyone out there that could help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jen
I will say this with the risk of offending those in central phoenix but its my opinion that its not as conducive to children playing in the streets as the suburbs.
This isnt saying you should fear gang members and prostitutes in those areas but I remember first moving here and not being sure if I was in a good area or not. Central phoenix waivers in terms of feeling safe street by street, and sometimes house by house in the less known parts. The areas that are well known like Biltmore, Encanto, and the historic districts are for the most part elite neighborhoods surrounded by less desirable demographics. A trip to the local grocery store has the "haves" shopping with the "have nots". I found this particular element a little uncomfortable with children. Gang problems here are probably not as bad as Chicago, but they are more in the central phoenix areas than suburbs. Since you are coming from a Chicago suburb and looking for a place that is safer as the main criteria, you are likely to find comfort in the consistency of the suburbs opposed to the unpredictability of central phoenix. Thats just my 2c. Consider the suburban areas that corrales listed to get more along the lines of what you are describing. Most of the suburbs all have access to the same shopping and housing options as the next, so wherever you end up working, you can live in whatever suburb is closest without missing out on anything elsewhere.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm assuming that "have not's" are the working class and minorities which in that case is something the OP said isn't of concern. So while I live in an "elite" historic district, I am a minority and don't categorize people as "have's" and the "have not's" and don't know anyone who does with such disdain. I would reconsider what areas should be considered "elitist" as such. Generally the suburbs would have more of the outlook that a minority neighborhood, or poor working people would be a "risky" proposition as neighbors; the OP doesn't share this outlook as he/she stated so that might be something to consider when picking an area to living in.

The central city is the safest precinct in Phoenix despite living among working, poor minorities. Also, it sounds very much like some people have not been to a school in the central city, park, neighborhood park, etc; my advice to the OP, look around as many neighborhoods as possible when you arrive in Phoenix and usually your instincts and the neighborhood character will "pick" you.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM

112 posts, read 130,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I'm assuming that "have not's" are the working class and minorities which in that case is something the OP said isn't of concern. So while I live in an "elite" historic district, I am a minority and don't categorize people as "have's" and the "have not's" and don't know anyone who does with such disdain. I would reconsider what areas should be considered "elitist" as such. Generally the suburbs would have more of the outlook that a minority neighborhood, or poor working people would be a "risky" proposition as neighbors; the OP doesn't share this outlook as he/she stated so that might be something to consider when picking an area to living in.

The central city is the safest precinct in Phoenix despite living among working, poor minorities. Also, it sounds very much like some people have not been to a school in the central city, park, neighborhood park, etc; my advice to the OP, look around as many neighborhoods as possible when you arrive in Phoenix and usually your instincts and the neighborhood character will "pick" you.
I'm sorry I knew I was going to touch a nerve. I am not referring to minorities or working class people. I am referring to the condition of the properties themselves and the activities I saw around me. It is not uncommon to live in a very expensive home that is next to a home that is rented to a home full of hoodlums of all races. My neighbor had his car stolen, while another had a break in while he was at work. I am not aware of the criminals race or income bracket. I had at one point seen a map of income levels of central phoenix when I was seeking to live here originally and it was polka dotted with bright red areas of super richness and surrounded by a sea of individuals living at poverty. In my opinion this is a recipe for strife regardless of the races.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
I'm sorry I knew I was going to touch a nerve. I am not referring to minorities or working class people. I am referring to the condition of the properties themselves and the activities I saw around me. It is not uncommon to live in a very expensive home that is next to a home that is rented to a home full of hoodlums of all races. My neighbor had his car stolen, while another had a break in while he was at work. I am not aware of the criminals race or income bracket. I had at one point seen a map of income levels of central phoenix when I was seeking to live here originally and it was polka dotted with bright red areas of super richness and surrounded by a sea of individuals living at poverty. In my opinion this is a recipe for strife regardless of the races.
You don't have to apologize if that is your true opinion; I'm just unaware of the neighborhoods you speak of so maybe I am not so well informed. I live in Roosevelt, and the next old neighborhood south and west of here looks poor but you'd be surprised how well everything works and people get along. And I doubt your neighbor's car was stolen by someone who lived anywhere near the area or an assumption of the type of people who live there.

What does that say for cars stolen in what were the hotspots around the Valley...which were not in the central region of the Valley mind you? I don't know if you can really make assumptions of people's income levels in central Phoenix outside of some of the historic neighborhoods but you have to remember that even in those neighborhoods, non-traditional families and other habitation situations occur. As far as petty crime and property crime go, again the central precincts in Phoenix recorded lower occurrences. Looks can be deceiving I think this is something the OP stated as having knowledge of in their original post.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-01-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
Hi Jen: I came from Schaumburg, Glen Ellyn and Elk Grove Village. My d aughter lived in Ravenswood. We came 8 years ago and the first time we visited, we had no idea where anything was or what were bad areas. We randomly chose a motel in the worst part of downtown Phx. The red lights were on all night long. Still, I wasn't afraid. And also, I have never really been fearful in any area of Phx. That said, I live in Chandler and the kids do play in the street. Gilbert is much the same. The difference here is everyone is from somewhere else. Not like the gang culture in Chicago that has been there for decades. You will feel very safe here. You also will LOVE the winters!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
I agree that Phoenix as a whole doesn't feel unsafe in many parts. I remember coming back from a drive over to California and we drove down 67th Avenue to get the I-10 and passed through some scarier looking areas as we got closer to the freeway. Then after spending nearly 2 weeks in National City which I think is somewhere South of San Diego, that same neighborhood looked like Paradise coming home!

I always find crime statistics misleading too because I'm of the opinion that for the most part crime occurs more often to people who run in those circles. Not to mention, a lower incident of crime statistics could point to a lax police precinct, as much as it could point to the absence of crime.

True crime should be distinguished as innocent people who become victims of perpetrators. For instance, someone shot to settle a drug deal gone wrong implies a completely different crime than an innocent person being shot in a grocery store parking lot for fun. I go along with the fact that everywhere in Phoenix is likely to feel like heaven compared to the Chicago grit you are exposed to now.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,051 times
Of course the most important question in helping this OP decide where might be good options is ALWAYS the first question....where will you be working! I dont mean this as some posters like if you dont have a job dont come (although things are much easier if you do have one lined up ahead of time) as I think if people understand the risks of coming unemployed and they still want to change their life up a bit, go for it! But I ask as there is not anywhere near the public transportation network here yet that exists in Chicago, so commute is usually the next biggest issue behind crime and schools.

So, OP if you know where you will be working that will guide the help you will get from folks here. If not, then any of the suggestions made so far will work, and 200K will buy you ALOT of house here in ALOT of areas. But picking the wrong place and having to drive further than you want every day is not a good plan.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,271 times
Thank you so much to all of the replies I have recieved, you have all been very helpful! I am definitely going to check out Chandler and Gilbert.

And yes, I definitely think we will love the winters there PhxBarb!

As far as where we will be working. . .I am in retail management and my fiance is a forklift driver and general laborer lol Neither of us have jobs lined up so we are pretty free to look anywhere.

Once again, thank you all for the help!

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area