Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times

Advertisements

Yep, it's the mental comfort thing. Since I’m traveling by myself this trip, it's going into the "unknown" that's a little intimidating to me. My trips to AZ are usually spent in and north of Scottsdale.

This whole trip is planned around scouting more areas to live -- Mountain Bridge, Estrella, Tartesso, Verrado, Rancho El Dorado, Vistancia and a few other places. So, not being familiar with any of the roads I asked about was just to get confirmation that I wasn’t going to be driving into any kind of "war zones."

Tradawg - socioeconomics/ethnicity/minorities has nada to do with it.

I appreciate everyone’s comments – I now have the “mental comfort” that I need! Thanks again!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rider View Post
By FAR the most dangerous thing in all these areas is locoAZnative's pit bull.
LOL
Actually my pitbull is the most loving dog. She loves to climb the rocks @ Papago, runs and plays with other dogs @ our locla dog park. When ever she see kids she loves the attention and love interactive with them. She is a little wiggle butt and is far more adjusted them most people and their little yippy dogs. What funny is @ the dog park its always the little dogs that are running around bititng everyone.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM

837 posts, read 2,335,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Actually my pitbull is the most loving dog. She loves to climb the rocks @ Papago, runs and plays with other dogs @ our locla dog park. When ever she see kids she loves the attention and love interactive with them. She is a little wiggle butt and is far more adjusted them most people and their little yippy dogs. What funny is @ the dog park its always the little dogs that are running around bititng everyone.
I had a pit-bull once, and I remember other dog walkers while walking towards us would pick their dogs ups and cross the street. lol.......poor pit bulls have gotten such a bad rap. No such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner.

.....and to the OP Does the mental comfort you receive come from not being in impoverished, blighted areas, or is just the people? I'm not picking on you, I'm just wondering because I see people asking questions about "SAFE" neighborhoods all the time, and just wondered.
For the record I'm from Michigan, Ann Arbor specifically but grew up in Detroit, and while I’m not scared of people who look like ME, I am cautious in lower-socioeconomic, blighted, high crime areas, but I think others tend to associate those who look like minorities with all of the above because they haven’t had enough exposure to be able to accurately differentiate between the groups.
There is nothing to worry about here in PHX per say. There are high crime areas and areas where prostitution is prevalent, but I have never really seen any war zones or feared for my safety. However there have been areas in Bloomfield, Beverly Hills, Rochester, Macomb TWP where I've feared for the police though....LoL
I wish the best to you, You’ll love the break from the cold weather!!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:43 PM

47 posts, read 214,699 times
Quote: Actually my pitbull is the most loving dog.
See.. just goes to show what a nice and peaceful area it is. I have a rental house on Marigold, real close to the park. It's a kind of poor area but people are good. In fact, you'll find that local people will watch out for you and each other.
The OP makes me wonder about his/her local culture.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Yep, it's the mental comfort thing. Since I’m traveling by myself this trip, it's going into the "unknown" that's a little intimidating to me. My trips to AZ are usually spent in and north of Scottsdale.

This whole trip is planned around scouting more areas to live -- Mountain Bridge, Estrella, Tartesso, Verrado, Rancho El Dorado, Vistancia and a few other places. So, not being familiar with any of the roads I asked about was just to get confirmation that I wasn’t going to be driving into any kind of "war zones."

Tradawg - socioeconomics/ethnicity/minorities has nada to do with it.

I appreciate everyone’s comments – I now have the “mental comfort” that I need! Thanks again!!!
I'd love to know what your point of reference is (where you have lived), and what makes you think, if you know ANYTHING about the areas you are looking at based on readily available information, that you would be driving through WAR ZONES going between these areas ??? Uh, no.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'd love to know what your point of reference is (where you have lived), and what makes you think, if you know ANYTHING about the areas you are looking at based on readily available information, that you would be driving through WAR ZONES going between these areas ??? Uh, no.
I'm really not sure why everyone is so up in arms that she questioned if an area was safe? There ARE places around the country where you are told not to roll down your windows and ask for directions. If there is a better route around such areas, why not ask the locals?

Isn't it enough to say she has nothing to worry about than to repeatedly harp on her for having the AUDACITY to question roads in Phx? She's never been down those roads and asked for some help. Why is everyone so offended by the question?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I'm really not sure why everyone is so up in arms that she questioned if an area was safe? There ARE places around the country where you are told not to roll down your windows and ask for directions. If there is a better route around such areas, why not ask the locals?

Isn't it enough to say she has nothing to worry about than to repeatedly harp on her for having the AUDACITY to question roads in Phx? She's never been down those roads and asked for some help. Why is everyone so offended by the question?
I think it's the extremity of her question, superimposed, possibly, on my present state of mind. War zones?????? Yes, I think we get pretty tired of the suggestion (and this is not the only poster we've heard this from) that there are places here that are terrribly unsafe to drive through on major arterial streets. Either it is a function of where she's lived or lives, and/or all the "kidnapping capital" stuff that we can thank the media for.

Other places she has asked about in the past are actually very empty and unpopulated (which can be seen from any google map), so the safety issue there involved people advising her to just make sure her car was in good shape.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post

She is a female traveling alone some place she is not familiar with, not sure what size her hometown is, but I would be asking questions also...especially after my drive from Seattle to El Paso alone with a 12 year old and some of the places we went through...

Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
She is a female traveling alone some place she is not familiar with, not sure what size her hometown is, but I would be asking questions also...especially after my drive from Seattle to El Paso alone with a 12 year old and some of the places we went through...
Well, driving across country vs. driving between widely spaced residential areas in metro Phoenix are two different things. I guess as a female who travels alone virtually always when I travel, I've never thought of asking such questions on a place like this.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think it's the extremity of her question, superimposed, possibly, on my present state of mind. War zones?????? Yes, I think we get pretty tired of the suggestion (and this is not the only poster we've heard this from) that there are places here that are terrribly unsafe to drive through on major arterial streets. Either it is a function of where she's lived or lives, and/or all the "kidnapping capital" stuff that we can thank the media for.

Other places she has asked about in the past are actually very empty and unpopulated (which can be seen from any google map), so the safety issue there involved people advising her to just make sure her car was in good shape.
Well I live in the same city as you and wasnt offended at all. For all she knows there are bandits in the desert waiting to hijack unsuspecting travelers. Better safe than sorry. So she asked and heard its fine... why go on?

If you get to the point where questions from those that don't know any better make you angry, it might be time to take a deep breath and step away from the monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area