Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,777 times

Advertisements

The drive through Papago Park on N Galvin Hwy looks like it might be a nice, pretty, scenic drive -- is it a safe drive?

How about the drive down W McKellips Road from Pima Fwy all the way east to Mountain Bridge (just east of Red Mountain Fwy) in Mesa -- safe?

And last, but not least, Van Buren between Hohokam Exp and Estrella Parkway -- safe?

I'll be in AZ on Friday , so responses are greatly appreciated!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,415,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
The drive through Papago Park on N Galvin Hwy looks like it might be a nice, pretty, scenic drive -- is it a safe drive?

How about the drive down W McKellips Road from Pima Fwy all the way east to Mountain Bridge (just east of Red Mountain Fwy) in Mesa -- safe?

And last, but not least, Van Buren between Hohokam Exp and Estrella Parkway -- safe?

I'll be in AZ on Friday , so responses are greatly appreciated!!!
What exactly do you mean by safe? Do you want to avoid "low income" areas or in terms of road quality/

Have you ever used Google Maps? They have a "streetview" option that you can see the route right from the street.\

None of these drives are very scenic, besides the typical desert scenery that you will see anywhere in Phoenix. Papago park is nice, but nothing special.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,777 times
Yep, I use Google "streetview" all the time. But, it's hard to tell how safe an area is just by following a street here and there. What I mean by "safe" is do I need to avoid the area due to high crime, drive through it with my windows rolled up?

I'm in Michigan. If someone asked me if a certain area in Detroit was safe, I'd be able to tell them exactly what streets/areas to avoid.

I've been to AZ many times, but not these particular areas, so I just wanted to know how safe the area was to drive through on those streets.

As far as the desert landscape goes, it isn't something I see everyday, so I'll find it interesting and scenic.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,751 times
The areas are safe no one will pull you out of your car an beat you. Van Buren btwn 32nd St to 16th St is where all the hookers are and a few crackheads and tweekers thrown in the mix. Papago Park is a lovely safe area I go there every weekend and we go for a hike and my pit loves to climb the rocks. McKellips is fine nothing will happen to you.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,415,604 times
Quote:
Yep, I use Google "streetview" all the time. But, it's hard to tell how safe an area is just by following a street here and there. What I mean by "safe" is do I need to avoid the area due to high crime, drive through it with my windows rolled up?

I'm in Michigan. If someone asked me if a certain area in Detroit was safe, I'd be able to tell them exactly what streets/areas to avoid.

I've been to AZ many times, but not these particular areas, so I just wanted to know how safe the area was to drive through on those streets.

As far as the desert landscape goes, it isn't something I see everyday, so I'll find it interesting and scenic.

Thanks for your help!
No place in Phoenix compares to Detroit, besides a small section on Van Buren, otherwise you're safe in the entire city.

I understand what you mean, I thought you lived in AZ already, coming from Michigan it's a totally different scene, I brought some people from the UP in michigan down to AZ last summer, they were very surprised it wasn't what they thoght at all.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,999 times
Quote:
Extremely scenic and very safe; I don't think there is Crime in this area, and that is the Galvin Parkway, LOL! Just in case you get on and it throws you off when you see PKWY and not HWY...

The Papago Park area is home to the Desert Botanical Gardens, the Phoenix Zoo, buttes and preserves and red rock formations; one called "Hole in the Rock."
Google Image Result for http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/hole-in-the-rock-papago.jpg

Quote:
You'll be safe in this area as well; not too sure about scenery though.

Quote:
You'll be in the West Valley near the Estrella Mountains and the Estrella PKWY which heads south into the Estrella Mountain Ranch, Estrella Foothills area; beautiful and extremely safe area...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-03-2009 at 03:34 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 06:17 AM

56 posts, read 142,429 times
You'll be fine. The only area "unsafe" is Van Buren and areas of South Phoenix and certain parts of Mesa. Still it's not a war zone at normal times in your car.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,306 times
I'm still wondering what does the word "SAFE" really include. Does it mean no minorites, or lower-socioecnomic class of people? You can easily pull up a crime blotter map that will show you on a map where crimes have been reported. Or do you mean areas that provide YOU with the most mental comfort, and what will rolling the windows up do?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 AM

56 posts, read 142,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
I'm still wondering what does the word "SAFE" really include. Does it mean no minorites, or lower-socioecnomic class of people? You can easily pull up a crime blotter map that will show you on a map where crimes have been reported. Or do you mean areas that provide YOU with the most mental comfort, and what will rolling the windows up do?
I think the OP means safe / unsafe the way most people do. Maybe it is just mental comfort. But then again crime and lower-socioeconomic areas usually go hand in hand. It also has to do with familiarity with an area, I grew up driving around areas of the Bronx that many people wouldn't dream of going but since I understood the lay of the land it didn't worry me as much as say pulling off the highway in areas of Oakland or Detroit. Where would you want you wife or mother having a flat tire, the Southside of Chicago or Beverly Hills?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM

47 posts, read 214,641 times
By FAR the most dangerous thing in all these areas is locoAZnative's pit bull.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area