Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,031,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Wow that looks plush!! What a sweet ride. How come we don't get cushions and arm rests. I'm jealous!
Those are the commuter rail trains in Albuquerque and when Phoenix gets commuter train service we will have similarly modeled trains and seats. So you'll be able to take this kind of ride from the NW Valley, far East Mesa, and Buckeye into downtown Phoenix.

Read the Newspaper for 30 minutes until you get to Union Station instead of being stuck in frustrating traffic.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-03-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,668,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Those are the commuter rail trains in Albuquerque and when Phoenix gets commuter train, service, we will have similarly modeled trains and seats. So you'll be able to take this kind of ride from the NW Valley, far East Mesa, and Buckeye into downtown Phoenix.

Read the Newspaper for 30 minutes until you get to Union Station of be stuck in frustrating traffic.
I'll make you a deal corrales. I'll stop whining and griping about Phoenix when a train is within walking distance, or even a short drive that can whisk me out of the suburbs when I'm feeling claustrophobic.

Until then, I feel the city has neglected those of us that are somewhat forced to live out here and is only adding more of the same brainless sprawl.

As a family with 2 kids, much of the housing in the central phoenix area is unsuitable for us. Its older, extremely expensive while still in need of demo in many cases for the larger homes. Original floorplans are outdated and obsolete, and in general its more suitable to empty nesters, childless busy professionals, and singles, gays, etc.

It would be my first choice to never have to see suburbs again, but so much of the city is geared for suburban life that its the only affordable option for many. I feel left out to pasture since nothing is developed other than a carbon copy strip mall every couple miles, and more new subdivisions. Yes suburban life is a choice for many, but in other cases, the lack of real choices closer in is what causes the suburbs to expand.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I'll make you a deal corrales. I'll stop whining and griping about Phoenix when a train is within walking distance, or even a short drive that can whisk me out of the suburbs when I'm feeling claustrophobic.

Until then, I feel the city has neglected those of us that are somewhat forced to live out here and is only adding more of the same brainless sprawl.
I agree, I think you guys are heavily neglected and forced to use your vehicles as the only means of transportation; it's cruel!

Quote:
As a family with 2 kids, much of the housing in the central phoenix area is unsuitable for us. Its older, extremely expensive while still in need of demo in many cases for the larger homes. Original floorplans are outdated and obsolete, and in general its more suitable to empty nesters, childless busy professionals, and singles, gays, etc.
I actually don't completely disagree. However, you aren't allowed to "demo" some of the older, historic homes. As for floor plans being obsolete and outdated, I think that is personal preference. I think the layout of my home is far superior for a family of 4, 5, or 6 than any suburban home built in the last 30 years. In fact, on my street I think we are the only "childless" couple on the block for now. Children everywhere, but I do think there are suburban minded folk that wouldn't fit in, in the central city just like I would die of boredom and the lifestyle in the suburbs.

Many of our friends and those in central neighborhoods traded in 30 min to 1 hour commutes, $200,000-$400,000 homes or more for similarly priced condos, bungalows, ranch homes, etc and only having one car for the suburban grind they used to experience.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-03-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM

652 posts, read 2,715,307 times
Quote:
It would be my first choice to never have to see suburbs again, but so much of the city is geared for suburban life that its the only affordable option for many. I feel left out to pasture since nothing is developed other than a carbon copy strip mall every couple miles, and more new subdivisions. Yes suburban life is a choice for many, but in other cases, the lack of real choices closer in is what causes the suburbs to expand.
Exactly like I said earlier, A Hobson's Choice is no choice at all. Many people are forced to live in suburbia and therefore are forced to live a car dependent lifestyle - people need transportation options and adding more rail is a great start.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,668,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I actually don't completely disagree. However, you aren't allowed to "demo" some of the older, historic homes. As for floor plans being obsolete and outdated, I think that is personal preference. I think the layout of my home is far superior for a family of 4, 5, or 6 than any suburban home built in the last 30 years.
I exaggerate, you ought to know me better by now. I use demo as more of a gut and remodel type thing.

To tell you the truth, I could care less about walk in closets and great room floor plans, and would be prepared to live with green counters, ugly wallpaper etc. but there is a serious shortage of 4 bedroom homes, so anyone needing a little extra space has to make the trek to suburbia. The central area is dominated by the 2bd/1ba and even 3bd/1.5ba. Larger homes are rare and sometimes just too funky to be liveable. I had seen a strange phenomena where some of the master bedrooms had sunken tubs just sitting in the room, like it would be at the foot of your bed. Or part of the square footage is a dank musty basement or weird tiny attic bedroom with poor ventilation. Also, not many of the original floorplans were built large, so the larger homes are made so by converted garages, or poorly done room additions. Its that type of weirdness and obsolescence that I'm referring to.

I understand this was the way they built the area at the time. It isn't my goal to get more 4 bd in central, its more that I REALLY WANT Phx to stop building more fringe suburban areas. Start building in a way that is more unique and conducive to public interaction, and make the quality of life for those that already live here a priority. There is no need to supply MORE new housing. We have enough! Let the demand levels rise by pinching off new clone developments.

My work is Online and its how I have so much free time to rant on this forum, but when the time comes, I can choose to live anywhere. And I wager that I'm not the only one that feels this way. If I have a chance to move from here, I will do it, and my income will be spent in a city that has designed itself smarter. I dont think Phoenix considers the side effect that smart growth would bring. They are building with an instant gratification model that doesnt really have any glue holding it all together... mass transit could be that glue. So bring on the trains!!

Last edited by cmist; 12-03-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,527,334 times
"No, they already exist..."

All the tracks in Phoenix currently are freight tracks (except the light-rail). So I guess I don't know what you are saying.

"the heavy commuter rail had service from Wickenburg to Mesa"

We've already been over this. It was a long-haul passenger train that connected to the Southwest Cheif in Williams, and not a commuter train. I'm sure a few used it as a commuter train, but it was a long-haul passenger train. There has never been a commuter rail system in Phoenix.

"NO, some of Metrolink uses old passenger lines that are 100 years or close to that. Many of the suburbs that Metrolink serves today didn't exist 100 years ago and certainly not with the population of today to make a commuter link viable that long ago."

Almost all of those tracks existed, though, and most of them had passenger trains on them.

"Ok, so basically your "estimates" are conjecture and your opinion rather than actual funded study-plan cost analysis."

Four years ago it was 1 million per mile to construct CTC track. It may be more now, who knows? (Besides, why believe someone who knows something about this?)

"Again you must drive a good route"

I don't know if it is good or not, but at 6 am I get on the I-10 eastbound at Cotton Ln and get off a few miles east of downtown. I get back on the freeway at five minutes past 3 pm to go home. I usually don't encounter stop-and-go traffic, and, if I do, it doesn't last long.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I exaggerate, you ought to know me better by now. I use demo as more of a gut and remodel type thing.

To tell you the truth, I could care less about walk in closets and great room floor plans, and would be prepared to live with green counters, ugly wallpaper etc. but there is a serious shortage of 4 bedroom homes, so anyone needing a little extra space has to make the trek to suburbia. The central area is dominated by the 2bd/1ba and even 3bd/1.5ba. Larger homes are rare and sometimes just too funky to be liveable. I had seen a strange phenomena where some of the master bedrooms had sunken tubs just sitting in the room, like it would be at the foot of your bed. Or part of the square footage is a dank musty basement or weird tiny attic bedroom with poor ventilation. Also, not many of the original floorplans were built large, so the larger homes are made so by converted garages, or poorly done room additions. Its that type of weirdness and obsolescence that I'm referring to.

I understand this was the way they built the area at the time. It isn't my goal to get more 4 bd in central, its more that I REALLY WANT Phx to stop building more fringe suburban areas. Start building in a way that is more unique and conducive to public interaction, and make the quality of life for those that already live here a priority. There is no need to supply MORE new housing. We have enough! Let the demand levels rise by pinching off new clone developments.

My work is Online and its how I have so much free time to rant on this forum, but when the time comes, I can choose to live anywhere. And I wager that I'm not the only one that feels this way. If I have a chance to move from here, I will do it, and my income will be spent in a city that has designed itself smarter. I dont think Phoenix considers the side effect that smart growth would bring. They are building with an instant gratification model that doesnt really have any glue holding it all together... mass transit could be that glue. So bring on the trains!!
We are in similar situations, I often work from home and run to the office later in the day for a meeting or something, LOL! It's great.

I've never noticed any strange layouts like you mentioned in homes I shopped for or those friends, family, and neighbors live in but I'm pretty sure they exist. I've seen some odd things in some of the older homes around central Phoenix. Like carpet in the bathroom!!! Seen this in new homes too as well though.

But I think that commuter rail would be a great tool for many out in the burbs. I have a feeling it would highly successful and heavily used in our fair metro.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Cmist, so how far did you go, and how long did it take? (I bet if you drove it would have been significantly quicker)
Let me weigh in here. Note I live near the Mormon Temple in Mesa (Mesa Dr and Main St): drove to the Sycamore Station, parked my car and took the LR to the Phx Auto Show a week ago today.

Needless to say: there is no reason I would drive downtown, pay $$$ to park someplace or hassle with hoofing it 1/2 mile or better to the above event.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:26 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
All the tracks in Phoenix currently are freight tracks (except the light-rail). So I guess I don't know what you are saying.
Ok, try to make this simple, there are tracks that were dedicated to Amtrak service in the Phoenix area that are no longer used, you can see portions of this track throughout Phoenix and it is glaringly simple to see that the Union Station in downtown Phoenix. It is currently closed because there no longer is Amtrak service or commuter train service to Phoenix, freight traffic does not use this track...

Quote:
We've already been over this. It was a long-haul passenger train that connected to the Southwest Cheif in Williams, and not a commuter train. I'm sure a few used it as a commuter train, but it was a long-haul passenger train. There has never been a commuter rail system in Phoenix.
There was commuter service offered through private companies in association with local transportation authorities and in concert with local trolley and street car services. The commuter train, Hassayampa Flyer, connected Wickenburg, Glendale, Pheonix, and Tempe via the #42 and #47 trains and ran until the late 1960's. From Buckeye, one could go between Buckeye, "Litchfield," and Mesa via the #42 and #47 commuter train, also until the 1960's when local transportation authorities and municipal transportation boards wanted to "modernize" the system.

Quote:
Almost all of those tracks existed, though, and most of them had passenger trains on them.
Ok, and all of our track exists...so same situation for our future commuter service.

Quote:
I don't know if it is good or not, but at 6 am I get on the I-10 eastbound at Cotton Ln and get off a few miles east of downtown. I get back on the freeway at five minutes past 3 pm to go home. I usually don't encounter stop-and-go traffic, and, if I do, it doesn't last long.
Well, unlike most commuters in the valley, you must continuously be graced with luck in order to only be bothered by traffic for not very long. However, millions are stuck in traffic much longer than you and would benefit from other transportation options besides driving alone in traffic or even in traffic with an HOV situation.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-03-2009 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,712,989 times
No more tax supported rail systems. If a business wants to invest into such a project, do it. Leave me out of it. Nothing will drive up local costs like a rail system, making me more poor. Yes, you will find me in support of a commuter rail but never did i say the tax payers should pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area