Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 AM

29 posts, read 137,234 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for someplace within a 100 mile radius of central Phoenix where my girlfriend and I can go to be totally alone while enjoying the great outdoors. We live in a condo and need to get some fresh air/out of this cage. Ideally we would like to set up a tent and not have to interact with anyone else besides ourselves for a few days. All we have is a 4 door sedan so that kind of limits the type of roads we can conquer. I checked out places like Usury Mountain Recreation Area but the campsites are right on top of each other and there are lots of people. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,538 times
Take I-17 North to the Bumble Bee/Crown King exit and take that road until you find somewhere you like. You can park/camp anywhere you want on the endless side roads. The main road is a little rough but is very doable in a car. Crown King at the top of the mountain is also a very peaceful living ghost town with a general store, a saloon, and two restaurants, if you do decide you want a little civilization. It's 25 miles from I-17 to Crown King with two other little living ghost towns on the way.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Thank you very much notmuch69.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,538 times
No problem.
I forgot to mention that Crown King is at 6000 ft and about 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix, but you don't gain much elevation until you're over half way there. It's one of the very few neat places left in AZ that hasn't been overwhelmed with people yet. They have cabins too but a week may get costly. Crown King, Arizona - EVENT INFO - REAL ESTATE - HISTORY - DIRECTIONS Home page

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 AM

23 posts, read 81,611 times
Default Getting Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJipa View Post
I'm looking for someplace within a 100 mile radius of central Phoenix where my girlfriend and I can go to be totally alone while enjoying the great outdoors. We live in a condo and need to get some fresh air/out of this cage. Ideally we would like to set up a tent and not have to interact with anyone else besides ourselves for a few days. All we have is a 4 door sedan so that kind of limits the type of roads we can conquer. I checked out places like Usury Mountain Recreation Area but the campsites are right on top of each other and there are lots of people. Any ideas?
I can relate. I used to get antsy when I was married and we just couldn't be on top of each other for another minute without feeling cooped up. There are some real nice places for a mini vacation here. If you want camping, Camp Verde or Cottonwood are really close. There are places out past Wickenburg that aren't too far and offer a secluded enough situation that you don't feel like a tourist. That leaves out the lakes here, they are always crowded, especially on hollidays. There are also a few resort type hotel places here that are worth the money and make you feel like a new human being. The service is great, they are in town, but if you don't tell everyone where you went, you can hide out a few minutes from everything else with everything you need in your room. Take an ice chest and bring your own food or grab some stuff on the way and it makes it cozy.
I would suggest the Windam Gardens Resort Hotels or (this place is wonderful and not many people know about it) the Hermosa Inn at
5532 N Palo Cristi Rd, Scottsdale, AZ(602) 955-8614 Website . Did you see the movie, "Waiting to Exhale"? Expecially in the movie when the ladies were sitting in the rustic dining room with the wagon wheel chandeliers and the western style wooden decor and the resort they stayed at, that is the Hassayampa Inn. It is so closely tucked in off the road near Lincoln Drive or even closer to MacDonald Drive in that area that it is like hiding in plain sight. It isn't the most expensive in town, although it isn't the Sleazy Rest in the low rent section either. I would suggest that you watch their ads for their seasonal deals and go hang out by the pool.
I.M.H.O.
Arizona Mildman

Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmildman View Post
I can relate. I used to get antsy when I was married and we just couldn't be on top of each other for another minute without feeling cooped up. There are some real nice places for a mini vacation here. If you want camping, Camp Verde or Cottonwood are really close. There are places out past Wickenburg that aren't too far and offer a secluded enough situation that you don't feel like a tourist. That leaves out the lakes here, they are always crowded, especially on hollidays. There are also a few resort type hotel places here that are worth the money and make you feel like a new human being. The service is great, they are in town, but if you don't tell everyone where you went, you can hide out a few minutes from everything else with everything you need in your room. Take an ice chest and bring your own food or grab some stuff on the way and it makes it cozy.
I would suggest the Windam Gardens Resort Hotels or (this place is wonderful and not many people know about it) the Hermosa Inn at
5532 N Palo Cristi Rd, Scottsdale, AZ(602) 955-8614 Website . Did you see the movie, "Waiting to Exhale"? Expecially in the movie when the ladies were sitting in the rustic dining room with the wagon wheel chandeliers and the western style wooden decor and the resort they stayed at, that is the Hassayampa Inn. It is so closely tucked in off the road near Lincoln Drive or even closer to MacDonald Drive in that area that it is like hiding in plain sight. It isn't the most expensive in town, although it isn't the Sleazy Rest in the low rent section either. I would suggest that you watch their ads for their seasonal deals and go hang out by the pool.
I.M.H.O.
Arizona Mildman
thanks for the advice

Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
About Crown King; pay attention to the weather; it can get really cold; so if Phoenix is 60 or 70°, it can be in the 30's or 40's up there, and it is VERY cold at night (solidly below freezing) but is beautiful and you won't have crowds this time of year...bundle up! I'm pretty sure with a 6,000ft elevation there is a chance for snow, especially this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area