Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
True about the judges! Good point. However, the P&R statements are often misinterpreted. It generally means that a driver can be at fault for accidents in adverse weather conditions and NOT that the driver is allowed to speed in excess of the limits when it's nice outside. This would defeat the purpose of speed limit laws. The judge can explain that as well as it is not a judgment call but precedent.

Say the limit is 65 mph but a driver was going 65 mph in a monsoon storm and "caused" an accident. They can try the defense that they were "traveling at the posted speed as allowable by law," but the P&R statues would over-rule that because conditions warranted driving under the limit because it was reasonable and prudent.
BINGO, fcorrales!

Although argued by many, P&R statues will never allow a driver to exceed the posted speed limit. As you posted, P&R statues justify a speeding citation even if a driver is doing the posted speed limit or less while the road or weather conditions cannot allow that limit.

P&Rs are never an authority to exceed the limit.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Say the limit is 65 mph but a driver was going 65 mph in a monsoon storm and "caused" an accident. They can try the defense that they were "traveling at the posted speed as allowable by law," but the P&R statues would over-rule that because conditions warranted driving under the limit because it was reasonable and prudent.
I completely agree with you on this point. Under the law, a driver can legally be stopped and cited by an officer for driving the speed limit, or even under the speed limit depending on different factors. A good example of this would be last week's blizzard in northern AZ. Let's say a person was driving the posted speed limit on a Flagstaff street, but the road conditions warranted slower driving due to the road & weather conditions. In that case, the driver could be cited, regardless if there was an accident involved.

That's exactly why the posted speed limits technically are useless in many cases. You could be driving down a divided boulevard in a suburban part of Phoenix where the posted limit is 40 MPH, but could still be reasonable & prudent by driving 55 MPH if conditions warrant. I have driven 10 to 15 MPH over the limit quite a few times, and even passed police officers on the side of the streets who never pulled me over. It was because I was driving safely, even though it exceeded the limit. Again, officer's discretion!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I completely agree with you on this point. Under the law, a driver can legally be stopped and cited by an officer for driving the speed limit, or even under the speed limit depending on different factors. A good example of this would be last week's blizzard in northern AZ. Let's say a person was driving the posted speed limit on a Flagstaff street, but the road conditions warranted slower driving due to the road & weather conditions. In that case, the driver could be cited, regardless if there was an accident involved.

That's exactly why the posted speed limits technically are useless in many cases. You could be driving down a divided boulevard in a suburban part of Phoenix where the posted limit is 40 MPH, but could still be reasonable & prudent by driving 55 MPH if conditions warrant. I have driven 10 to 15 MPH over the limit quite a few times, and even passed police officers on the side of the streets who never pulled me over. It was because I was driving safely, even though it exceeded the limit. Again, officer's discretion!
No, your last part is incorrect. The law states the limits allowed on roads and the posting of those limits are the public notification of such. There is no condition that warrants a disregard for those posted limits. Some situations like emergencies exist but even then you will be stopped or followed by police until you get to the ER or station, etc...

They didn't pull you over because they didn't warrant it important or had other distractions; crime to attend to. However, if you were to get their attention and pulled over for driving that fast your P&R defense would be unusable; officer's discretion to pull you over as they can't pull everyone over for speeding because of their working situation and is not because of a reasonable and prudent situation. That misinterpretation of the law can get you in trouble. Officers often have other things more important to watch for or look after than all those who would disregard speed limits.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
How old is your son?
POd, I read through the previous posts and don't see if you answered this question (which I am still curious about). Is your son 5? 10? 15?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 26,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
pod, i read through the previous posts and don't see if you answered this question (which i am still curious about). Is your son 5? 10? 15?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POd_about_radar_ticket View Post
Go to court, if you don't get it dismissed from what you can present then ask for lenience or a reduced fee since this is your first ticket and the judge would have your clean record attached to your file. You never know...like Valley Native said, a judge just might be inclined to be nice to you if they don't happen to like the cameras themselves.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
If there were cameras, and others were at the same speed, then you probably aren't the only person who was cited. And, the speed limit set by city authorities is the speed limit. If you see the photo enforcement camera signs, it doesn't take many brain cells to decide to SLOW DOWN. You can try your "reasonable and prudent" argument, but don't be surprised if it doesn't fly.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 PM

10 posts, read 26,988 times
Quote:
Go to court, if you don't get it dismissed from what you can present then ask for lenience or a reduced fee since this is your first ticket and the judge would have your clean record attached to your file. You never know...like Valley Native said, a judge just might be inclined to be nice to you if they don't happen to like the cameras themselves.
I'm thinking of going to the hearings and see what other people are saying and what works. The picture is very poor quality and isn't complete. Forehead is covered by the sun blue screen of the windshield. Perhaps I can use this. Otherwise throwing myself at the mercy of the court is my last option. :-)

Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of going to the hearings and see what other people are saying and what works. The picture is very poor quality and isn't complete. Forehead is covered by the sun blue screen of the windshield. Perhaps I can use this. Otherwise throwing myself at the mercy of the court is my last option. :-)
Photo quality is a big issue if judge agrees that you can't be identified.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Hmmm, internet driving school is $35. Perhaps my best option.

Taking the test in front of a notary sounds like a pain.
Oh, it's more than that..... you still pay additional fees over and above the price of the school. Not all the schools require taking the test in front of a notary... for one of them you go to any of several locations, including UPS stores, the clerk gets you onto the computer and then you take the test and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area