Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,457 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am curious to know what an average rent in Phoenix for an apartment would be. Are they comparable to Tucson? Here you can get a studio for under $450. A one bedroom, you can find for under $600. Is it a bit higher priced in Phoenix? Also what area's of town are best to look in? I would like a nice apartment that is close to public transportation and is fairly crime free. I am not at all familiar with the neighborhoods in Phoenix. If you could help me out, I would appreciate it! Thanks,

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I thought you were moving to Denver. Or was that Boise? or Anchorage? or Toronto? Or ....? You're moving to Phoenix now? Daniel_T, honestly, I've been following some of your posts for the last few months and based on what it is you like, I don't think you would like Phoenix at all. If you're asking for a place that's under $600 a month, you will probably be living in a dump-- equivalent or even worse than your existing "slum dump" apartment (I saw your You Tube video-- hilarious) in Tucson.

I just moved out of a middle-of-the-road two bedroom apartment in Tempe about 1.5 miles from the ASU campus. My share of the rent was about $400 (total was about $830), with utilities (water, SRP, and COX) adding to an additional $110-200 a month for my share (total would be $220-400), depending on AC use. A big chunk of that utility bill including the COX cable bill-- my portion was $62 a month (total about $124 a month), absolutely ******* outrageous. The place I lived kind of sucked, you could definitely spend more and get a nicer place, but you could also do much, much worse too. Actually, my apartment was underpriced given the market. I think this leasing year they have raised the rates.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Seriously, you are NOT going to find what you are looking for apt wise. Under $600 in a fairly crime-free, nice area. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 1 bedroom in a nice, fairly "crime-free" area will be $950+.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 PM

219 posts, read 779,196 times
I recently begun my apartment search in the valley, and one apartment I looked at, Salado Springs, definitely seemed pretty decent and the neighborhood in Northwestern Tempe seemed fine. Rent was going for $675 a month. I will be back in the valley next week and am looking to spend in the range of $800-$1000 a month. I would have greatly considered moving into Salado Springs, however, at the age of 23, I feel South Scottsdale has more appeal to me, although I will look more into Tempe during my next trip. I too, though, am looking for a one bedroom, preferably in an area with good nightlife, that caters more to young (urban) professionals and grad students.

I have looked into Cityscape at Tempe, San Tropez (very nice, although a little wild) in Scottsdale, and Colonial Grand in Scottsdale ( did not care for the area). These were all nice apartments in the range of $800-$900 a month, however, these were nice. I am sure the OP could find something in the range of $600-$700 a month, such as Salado Springs. If anybody also can recommend an apartment, that caters to people in my age group, in the range of $800-$1000 a month, I would also appreciate it.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 PM

29 posts, read 155,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Seriously, you are NOT going to find what you are looking for apt wise. Under $600 in a fairly crime-free, nice area. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 1 bedroom in a nice, fairly "crime-free" area will be $950+.
Yeah...I lived in a complex up in Arrowhead a couple of years ago and rent was less than $700 a month.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,594 times
I lived in a one bedroom in Ahwatukee for $579. A very nice and quiet complex. I think one bedroom rents run about $700 there now.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Well, for a metro area like Phoenix, these prices sound quite decent compared to what we've got to deal with in SoCal.

The higher prices in the nicer areas of Phoenix are on-par with the rents of units in places like San Bernardino, Fontana, Victorville,. etc

Anywho, I used to drive for Swift Transportation located at the corner of 75th and Roosevelt-ish.
A little far from downtown, but I bicycled out from the terminal to the 24Hr Fitness on Camelback in about an hour or so.

Apartments near the terminal looked so-so, but the pricing seemed decent for what they were.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, for a metro area like Phoenix, these prices sound quite decent compared to what we've got to deal with in SoCal.

The higher prices in the nicer areas of Phoenix are on-par with the rents of units in places like San Bernardino, Fontana, Victorville,. etc

Anywho, I used to drive for Swift Transportation located at the corner of 75th and Roosevelt-ish.
A little far from downtown, but I bicycled out from the terminal to the 24Hr Fitness on Camelback in about an hour or so.

Apartments near the terminal looked so-so, but the pricing seemed decent for what they were.
Those prices - and the thread - are 1 1/2 yrs old! Doubt they are the same now.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Those prices - and the thread - are 1 1/2 yrs old! Doubt they are the same now.
the prices may, in fact, be lower now.....does anybody else think so?...I may be wrong about those current rents, but this could be a good thread for the many who need to know....

Old 12-12-2009, 03:03 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
You are so off base with this estimate...I have been looking around and in Ahwatukee and you can get very nice 2 bedrooms in gated complexes under $800 in this economy...prices ahve come way down due to vacancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area