Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
True, if I were a greyhound, I think I would love my days at the track. They need that type of thing to exercise and feel healthy and alive.

As for the abuse, its not legal just because they were racing dogs. Those who are concerned shouldn't crack down on the racetrack but rather the owners that abuse. Plenty of non racing dogs are also abused or left outside neglected day and night, but the race track ones get the attention, so maybe its a good thing that we are paying attention to the racetrack stars.

Once it closes, there won't be a word about animal cruelty, out of sight, out of mind. The worst part is that an operation like that will never open again in these politically correct times, its gone for good, so Phoenix once again lost entertainment in favor of commerce.
I could not have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
All the greyhounds that are adopted OFF the track, and the ones that never got there, "don't need that sort of thing to be healthy and alive". They like a good walk, mind you, and some have a pretty strong prey drive and can't live with cats, but those who've adopted them tell me they are pretty much happy to be couch potatoes like many other breeds of dogs, and are tractable, trainable dogs that don't actually have to run.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
All the greyhounds that are adopted OFF the track, and the ones that never got there, "don't need that sort of thing to be healthy and alive". They like a good walk, mind you, and some have a pretty strong prey drive and can't live with cats, but those who've adopted them tell me they are pretty much happy to be couch potatoes like many other breeds of dogs, and are tractable, trainable dogs that don't actually have to run.
Well running around a track isn't really what they were bred for but what they have been used for in some circles. I'm not sure how the dogs were treated, but the difference between horses and dogs that race, are that more unusable, many more "unusable" dogs are born that cannot be raced and therefore are abandoned or abused. One stud and mare will conceive one offspring at a time and highly likely that horse will be useful or desirable no matter its condition or ability to excel on the track.

Not sure how I feel about the dog track but it seems the airport will put the land to good use and looks like that swap meet will close too. Not sure; I think part of the PHX SkyTrain will use the land as a maintenance yard and facility as well. Looking for that info.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
I'd love to see a bar/restaurant/beer garden type of place overlooking the runways. Watching a massive plane descend and touch down is fascinating entertainment. There's a restaurant in L.A. that's under the final flight path of planes approaching LAX. Kinda freaky. Watching them from aside is less freaky. Here's a beach in St. Maarten that might be the least relaxing in the world!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O3xSDiIqHA

Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 AM

54 posts, read 137,820 times
Unfortunatley whenever animals are involved in a business abuse is prevalent. I hope they close the Tucson Park as well!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 AM

76 posts, read 220,281 times
Thanks for the video joni. Really cool.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I'd love to see a bar/restaurant/beer garden type of place overlooking the runways. Watching a massive plane descend and touch down is fascinating entertainment. There's a restaurant in L.A. that's under the final flight path of planes approaching LAX. Kinda freaky. Watching them from aside is less freaky. Here's a beach in St. Maarten that might be the least relaxing in the world!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O3xSDiIqHA
AHHH! MOVE YOUR @s$eS!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
We need to have several new, modern, Greyhound Parks.

I love Greyhound racing.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 16,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We need to have several new, modern, Greyhound Parks.

I love Greyhound racing.
No, we don't. The current park was fine, but most people have better things to do than sit and bet money on dog racing, it's a joke.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedless View Post
No, we don't. The current park was fine, but most people have better things to do than sit and bet money on dog racing, it's a joke.
As long as the dogs are treated humanly, I will agree with Greatday on this one. Going to the track betting on dogs was a lot of fun, even know I lost money. The entertainment factor was worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area