Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 PM

824 posts, read 2,339,311 times

Advertisements

It appears that the availability of H1N1 vaccines is high, and the priority group designations have been largely abandoned. I used this provider, and there were plenty of location choices using my zip code. Places like Walgreen's and some doctor offices are hit or miss in terms of supply.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,411,261 times
Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
It appears that the availability of H1N1 vaccines is high, and the priority group designations have been largely abandoned. I used this provider, and there were plenty of location choices using my zip code. Places like Walgreen's and some doctor offices are hit or miss in terms of supply.
personally I don't plan on getting the shot. SO far I have not heard or known of anyone around me that has had the H1N1 virus. I think My son might have had it last August, but they were not testing back then on a widespread basis. I find it strange that there has been no news of it hitting the school that my son goes to. Have you heard or seen many cases?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,668,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
personally I don't plan on getting the shot. SO far I have not heard or known of anyone around me that has had the H1N1 virus. I think My son might have had it last August, but they were not testing back then on a widespread basis. I find it strange that there has been no news of it hitting the school that my son goes to. Have you heard or seen many cases?
In Peoria: None here either. Nothing in the schools (where my kids go), None of anyone in our family knows anyone either... so I guess we are lucky. We aren't getting the shot either... seems experimental still.

I remember hearing it wasn't something you could vaccinate for, but yet they came out with the shot, so I dont understand what I missed in between.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
They are expecting another wave of cases in the new year, during the more typical flu season. If you go to the Healthwaves website, there are several clinics scheduled.

They created the shot using a similar process to what they use for the seasonal flu (using eggs) but because they did it so fast, (as the number of cases and deaths was growing fast) and were also putting out seasonal flu at the same time, it took longer to get the supply going.

I've known some people who had it... I'm getting the shot.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:44 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,668,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They are expecting another wave of cases in the new year, during the more typical flu season. If you go to the Healthwaves website, there are several clinics scheduled.

They created the shot using a similar process to what they use for the seasonal flu (using eggs) but because they did it so fast, (as the number of cases and deaths was growing fast) and were also putting out seasonal flu at the same time, it took longer to get the supply going.

I've known some people who had it... I'm getting the shot.
But I thought that it was reportedly a strain that could be vaccinated against? At least awhile back I heard that, but then I never heard a "breakthrough story" about a vaccine was discovered and effective. It seemed that they just started saying uneventfully that they were providing vaccines...

That would be big news right? Did I miss something? If you could truly get an effective vaccine, then why wouldn't everyone be celebrating that it could be eliminated?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
"I find it strange that there has been no news of it hitting the school that my son goes to. Have you heard or seen many cases?"
I read in the Republic that Arizona is one of 14 states that has widespread H1N1. I honestly do not know how extensive that is.

While I am skeptical of many things, I think that my life has been better getting seasonal flu shots for the last dozen years or so. I am comfortable with the risk-reward analysis of vaccination.

I was especially concerned about the H1N1 outbreak, having had the odd bad luck of visiting relatives in NY the week that "swine flu" erupted in the US. Actually, the epicenter was St Francis Prep, walking distance from my aunt's house, and one of my cousins was coughing like there was no tomorrow. Combined with news coverage of Mexico's situation, allusions to the 1918 pandemic, and I was freaked out.

I think that it is an easy call. The provider cost is $20, and even that is covered by many insurance plans. And it was convenient; I picked up a Basha's pizza after my vaccination.

Quote:
"If you could truly get an effective vaccine, then why wouldn't everyone be celebrating that it could be eliminated? "
Well, flu viruses can mutate, so the threat is not eliminated by a vaccine for certain strains. But vaccination can provide some protection for similar strains, in addition to the targeted strains. Since I took Oceanography for my college science requirement, I will not elaborate further.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM

430 posts, read 1,411,261 times
Default azjack.....

when did you get your shot? let us know if you have any side effects, I am kind of worried about how fast the shots were developed. I have never taken a flu shot ever to date. I hope they are wrong about the new wave of cases in the New Year. The onset of this virus freaked me out too.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
"when did you get your shot? let us know if you have any side effects",
Wednesday late afternoon. A bit of a sore arm. I was pretty tired that night, but that could very well have been the odd hours that I keep.

Quote:
"I am kind of worried about how fast the shots were developed. I have never taken a flu shot ever to date. I hope they are wrong about the new wave of cases in the New Year. The onset of this virus freaked me out too."
I definitely was sick more often when I was 12-18, and apparently flu shots were not regularly offered to me. I was unaware of them, anyway. The college dorms encouraged flu shots with flyers, etc., so I gave it a try around age 19 or 20, and have probably not missed a year since. The "live virus" option (flu-mist) seems a bit more risky (probably fine though), but I always opt for the regular (killed virus) needle to the arm.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
But I thought that it was reportedly a strain that could be vaccinated against? At least awhile back I heard that, but then I never heard a "breakthrough story" about a vaccine was discovered and effective. It seemed that they just started saying uneventfully that they were providing vaccines...

That would be big news right? Did I miss something? If you could truly get an effective vaccine, then why wouldn't everyone be celebrating that it could be eliminated?
I don't think any strain of flu is ever described as "eliminated". They develop the new seasonal vaccine every year based on which strain was the most widespread the year before. I don't know exactly when they started working on H1N1 vaccine, but I don't think they ever said that they would never be able to develop a vaccine against it. Developing it, and then making it, is a time consuming process.

Here's an interesting article:

http://kottke.org/09/11/how-the-h1n1-vaccine-is-made

Many people don't believe in the regular flu vaccines, much less this one, so you are never going to get everyone, or even the majority, to get the shot. I can't tell you how many times people have insisted to me that they "got the flu from the shot" or "got the flu twice the year they got the shot" or some similar statement. They don't understand what flu IS, a good part of the time (they describe any illness that's not a head cold or purely intestinal as "the flu"), and they don't understand that no flu shot protects against all types. And, those with egg allergies don't want them.

I got the seasonal flu shot very early this year, and several weeks later got really ill, really fast. I was assured it wasn't H1N1, as I had no fever, but it wasn't fun. Fortunately, it didn't last a long time. I'll still get flu shots.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 AM

687 posts, read 1,949,332 times
By all legitimate accounts, the vaccine is safe and effective. My friend had H1N1 and, 80+ days later, is recently out of his medically-induced coma and almost ready to leave the hospital. I understand his isn't a typical case, but I'll get my shot as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area