Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,147,290 times

Advertisements

I worked in the DC area over a winter....it snowed once. About 2 inches.

I showed up for work and no one was there.

So I went to breakfast and came back.

Still no one there.

So I waited.

The boss happened to come by to check on the building.

BTW, YAZ, when it snows around here don't bother coming in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,288,141 times
yeah - philly was pretty weak when it snowed as well

these type of storms usually hurt them really bad (or really any storm)

being an upstate NYer I used to always like when storms would hit the eastern seaboard, but miss upstate - watching pure havoc over 6-8" of snow would always be amusing

Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,316,763 times
I've never lived where it snows.

Many years ago I visited a cousin in Chicago. She popped open her car trunk and I looked inside. She had a shovel, a bag of kitty litter, and a piece of carpeting. I asked her why she had all that in her trunk. She looked at me like I had three noses and said, "To shovel the car out of the snow."

Thanks, Mom and Dad, for letting me grow up in the Southwest.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,992,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never lived where it snows.

Many years ago I visited a cousin in Chicago. She popped open her car trunk and I looked inside. She had a shovel, a bag of kitty litter, and a piece of carpeting. I asked her why she had all that in her trunk. She looked at me like I had three noses and said, "To shovel the car out of the snow."

Thanks, Mom and Dad, for letting me grow up in the Southwest.
Yeah thanks. Now I can:

- replace the car batteries more often
- replace the tires more often
- watch the paint fade quicker
- watch the upholstery (or leather) crack sooner
- smile at the photo radar
- renew annual tags at a higher price than most states
- pay higher insurance premiums because of the prevalence of theft due to border proximity
- wait in line for vehicle emissions in metro areas
- see the endless precession of traffic litter and filth on the freeway system

Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,288,141 times
you're more than free to join in on that freeway system and hitch your wagon out of town

and while you are at it maybe go to one of those climates where the underbelly of your car gets ruined by the salt from the roads (not to mentions your shoes & pants), the roads are full of potholes that shake your suspension, there is a perfect climate for rust, you have to have multiple outfits (including those worn in the same day), you have to kick your shoes off in the mud room at home while your socks get soaked in a pool of melted snow and slush from everyone elses shoes, pay higher property taxes, have to deal with the cold weather impact on your plumbing, renew your drivers license more frequently and at a higher cost, endlessly wash your car because it's either rained, snowed or thrown mud, deal with snow tires of choose your vehicles based on their ability to handle in weather conditions, have that nice BBQ you anticipated and planned for the past 2 months get cancelled due to inclimate weather, etc

either side of the equation can do this pissing match for hours on end ..... however, it's all really pointless as not everyone values the same things

best you can do is find a place that matches up to what you enjoy ... life is too short otherwise

Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,575,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Well here's the irony, many of you, including cmist and steve-o constantly complain about the heat/weather in Phoenix as well and always bring up somewhere that's better; especailly steve-o (just look at the infinite number of Phoenix weather related posts and threads he's written). Phoenix city-data posters are well aware of Steve-o's Chicago rantings of "superb" weather and his comments on the Chicago board as well; so why the double standard?

My advice, avoid the weather threads since they obviously bother you so much.
I dont instigate them, do I? I simply respond to the seemingly neverending barrage of Phoenicians writing about how "great" their weather is there. Imagine popping onto the Chicago boards from May until November and seeing weekly threads that were proclaiming "ha, look at the temps Phoenix is suffering in. How stupid are the people who actually think its nice to live there!?! Ill take this perfect 80 degrees over their 115 degree crap anyday!"

Sounds pretty lame, doesnt it? Unless you live in San Diego or Honolulu, IMO noone can really brag about their weather because we all get extremes at one point or another.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,047,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont instigate them, do I? I simply respond to the seemingly neverending barrage of Phoenicians writing about how "great" their weather is there. Imagine popping onto the Chicago boards from May until November and seeing weekly threads that were proclaiming "ha, look at the temps Phoenix is suffering in. How stupid are the people who actually think its nice to live there!?! Ill take this perfect 80 degrees over their 115 degree crap anyday!"

Sounds pretty lame, doesnt it? Unless you live in San Diego or Honolulu, IMO noone can really brag about their weather because we all get extremes at one point or another.
Yes, you have, again maybe you need to do a search on your own threads to dig them up and refresh your memory. And you often do see threads in Chicago that are a close parallel or paraphrase of what you wrote: "ha, look at the temps Phoenix is suffering in. How stupid are the people who actually think its nice to live there!?! Ill take this perfect 80 degrees over their 115 degree crap anyday!"

You actually see it all the time. Anyway...I hear it might rain in Phoenix and more snow for the ski resort around AZ! Good to hear that more fresh powder for the slopes.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:54 AM

430 posts, read 1,412,756 times
Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I understand a career bringing you here, but as far as weather and surroundings, there is a pretty big country out there with something a little more middle of the road between Scotland and Arizona climate.

Some people may be acting rashly in the coldest part of winter when they decide they are going to enjoy one of the hottest places on the entire planet.

thats called jumping outta the fire into the frying pan, I am sure you heard this phrase a million times growing up, just like I did

Old 12-22-2009, 05:07 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,239,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Excuse me? I sure as hell do NOT head over to the Chicago, Wash DC, etc. boards and insult the peoples' choices for living there------------that would be called Trolling. Some people prefer the amenities that the above cities offer-------------which I can respect.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,412,756 times
Default Thats pretty ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Slide show of the monster storm that hit the east coast.

Picture Stories- msnbc.com
But its not like that is typical. That was a bad snow storm that in a week will be back to normal if not sooner. Samething could easily happen out here in reverse, power going out for several days in the worst temps would be pretty nasty conditions to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area