Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,623,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I personally am not paranoid of them. I am saying when it comes down to it, as you said yourself, its a fact that nearly all terrorists are radical muslims. And to make it fair, its also true that radical Christians bomb abortion clinics. Its not the religion thats the problem, its the "radical" part.

So when boarding an aircraft, if a muslim is given a little extra scrutiny, why shouldn't they understand its for the benefit of all the passengers. I would have no problem being questioned by the police as a white male about being a serial killer if they were trying to find one that is reportedly nearby that fit my description. I would actually be all too eager to prove my innocence. I'd give my DNA, my blood, whatever needed to disqualify me from the suspect list.

Why couldn't a muslim understand the same?

Because your comparing apples to oranges. Your white male situation states that you would have no problems subjecting your self to extra means "if they were trying to find one that is reportedly nearby that fit my description"
Not for the simple fact that your a white male. You want a reasonable reason such as there is a serial killer in the area. Then you say your subjecting them to extra scrutinty not because we have a reason to believe they are a terrorist, or becuase we have credible intel to associate them with terror, but because they are middle eastern. Thats a HUGE difference.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,670,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Prior to 9-11 the biggest form of domestic terrorism was comitted by Tim McVeigh....far from a radical muslim.
I'm not sure what your point is?

If it were a proven statistic that 99% of people who bomb federal buildings are white males driving moving trucks, I would have to understand that I'm going to look suspicious if I have to drive a moving truck to a federal building.

I would understand that when I arrive I will be put under the microscope more than the blue haired old lady driving into the parking garage with a Ford Taurus.

My heart would probably be pounding in anticipation of how I would be perceived when I show up as a white male with a moving truck in front of a federal building. I would be jumping out of my skin to prove that I am a normal person that was just asked to help someone move office furniture, and the thought they were being "racist" against me would not even cross my mind.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
zox

344 posts, read 480,439 times
Quote:
This is apples an oranges. A guy with a knife at 11pm compared to a guy on a plane watching a movie? C'mon dude thats a reach.

Ted Buny, Burkowitz or Dahmer werent showing up at your house at 11pm with a knife either.

"According to criminologist Eric Hickey, who has assembled the most extensive database on demography of serial murder states that, 88% of serial killers are male, 85% are Caucasian, and the average age when they claim their first victim is usually around 28.5. In terms of victim selection, 62% of the killers target strangers exclusively, and another 22% kill at least one stranger. Finally, 71% of the killers operate in a specific location or area, rather than traveling wide distances to commit their crimes"(Apsche, 1993, p.16)
I would agree it's a reach if these two guys were just being quiet and watching a movie. But we don't know how they were behaving because we were not there. Both sides are just speculating at this point. It very well could be that the passengers were overreacting due to stereotypes or it could be that they had cause for concern because of the way these two men were acting. I'm giving the passengers the benefit of the doubt. I know all of us tend to make stereotypical generalizations but its one thing to act on it. I don't think these passengers would have acted if there wasn't something other than their appearance to make them concerned. And if they had legitimate concern, that isn't saying the Middle Eastern passengers did anything wrong but it could be a case of confusion with no malintent on either side.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,931,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I agree.

In December of 2001 I was going to fly home for Christmas and I noticed that there were 3 or 4 Middle Easterners on my flight. I think a handful of passengers including myself asked to be transferred to a different flight.
It is disgusting that you are so proud to be a racist. Should the airlines offer "whites only" flights so you and your fellow members of the Aryan Brotherhood are more comfortable?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM

259 posts, read 707,538 times
Quote:
I'm far from left wing. assumptions make you look like... eh nevermind

Once agin it's easy to stereotype others until some one brings up to you resonable facts.

Fact most terrorist are muslim extremist, but not all muslims are terrorist. Far from it

Fact most serial killers are white males, but not all white males are serial killers
It would be safe to assume you are far worse than leftwingnut.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,135,925 times
Quote:
This is apples an oranges. A guy with a knife at 11pm compared to a guy on a plane watching a movie? C'mon dude thats a reach.

Ted Buny, Burkowitz or Dahmer werent showing up at your house at 11pm with a knife either.

"According to criminologist Eric Hickey, who has assembled the most extensive database on demography of serial murder states that, 88% of serial killers are male, 85% are Caucasian, and the average age when they claim their first victim is usually around 28.5. In terms of victim selection, 62% of the killers target strangers exclusively, and another 22% kill at least one stranger. Finally, 71% of the killers operate in a specific location or area, rather than traveling wide distances to commit their crimes"(Apsche, 1993, p.16)
Silly.

Refer to my post regarding yelling "FIRE" in a movie theatre.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,275,803 times
This was just the passengers being dumb. I don't know what they were thinking, if they wanted to push the lines, get a reaction or what .... but it wasn't smart.

There are certain times/places that you need to toe the line a little bit more.

I'm about as white male as they come, but have had instances with the federal reserve banks. The first was when I was there for a presentation at the Buffalo branch and got up to go to the bathroom. While walking the hall a guard with a very visible gun came up on me and asked me in a very serious tone what I was up to.

I could of been swarmy and responded "going to take a leak, why do you ask - do you want to assist?" ..... or I could realize that joking and obstinence weren't the way to go and reply as I did. - "i'm a part of the meeting down the hall in room XYZ sir - could you please point me in the direction of the restroom?"

a month or so later I was at the NY fed reserve - we went down to the gold reserves and there were some very serious dudes with even larger, very visible guns .... I could of joked and made all sorts of comments about the gold .... i kept my mouth shut

There was a white pilot in philadelphia who was arrested when told he couldn't bring on nail clippers got frustrated and said "well at least it wasn't a bomb"

It's the whole "fire in the theater" thing ..... sometimes you just need to be smart, recognize your area and keep straight

their actions led to their inconvenience ... and honestly they are lucky that a mild inconvenience is all that happened to them

Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM

39,148 posts, read 51,440,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
This was just the passengers being dumb. I don't know what they were thinking, if they wanted to push the lines, get a reaction or what .... but it wasn't smart.

There are certain times/places that you need to toe the line a little bit more.

I'm about as white male as they come, but have had instances with the federal reserve banks. The first was when I was there for a presentation at the Buffalo branch and got up to go to the bathroom. While walking the hall a guard with a very visible gun came up on me and asked me in a very serious tone what I was up to.

I could of been swarmy and responded "going to take a leak, why do you ask - do you want to assist?" ..... or I could realize that joking and obstinence weren't the way to go and reply as I did. - "i'm a part of the meeting down the hall in room XYZ sir - could you please point me in the direction of the restroom?"

a month or so later I was at the NY fed reserve - we went down to the gold reserves and there were some very serious dudes with even larger, very visible guns .... I could of joked and made all sorts of comments about the gold .... i kept my mouth shut

There was a white pilot in philadelphia who was arrested when told he couldn't bring on nail clippers got frustrated and said "well at least it wasn't a bomb"

It's the whole "fire in the theater" thing ..... sometimes you just need to be smart, recognize your area and keep straight

their actions led to their inconvenience ... and honestly they are lucky that a mild inconvenience is all that happened to them
What? Where did you get that from. The article never said the middle eastern guys mouthed off. Here's what it did say:

The men were cooperative with the FBI when questioned, then were later released to catch another flight to their final destination in California. Neither was charged.

There is not much they can do about their looks and speaking in a foreign language is against no law. They apparently cooperated fully even though they were being discriminated against. So how do you conclude saying "honestly they are lucky that a mild inconvenience is all that happened to them"?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM
YAZ

Right on, FL.....

The circumstances and behavior were inappropriate.

Again, ignorance or attention ***** syndrome came to mind when I heard about the incident.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What? Where did you get that from. The article never said the middle eastern guys mouthed off. Here's what it did say:

The men were cooperative with the FBI when questioned, then were later released to catch another flight to their final destination in California. Neither was charged.

There is not much they can do about their looks and speaking in a foreign language is against no law. They apparently cooperated fully even though they were being discriminated against. So how do you conclude saying "honestly they are lucky that a mild inconvenience is all that happened to them"?

Because they were watching a suicide bomber movie and speaking loudly in Arabic while on an airplane.

How would you react if someone next to you in a movie theatre asked you for a light?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area