Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM

725 posts, read 2,321,692 times

Advertisements

I'm really disapppointed that Fox Sports Grill and Pink Taco bit the dust. Those were really nice before-after-game spots!!!!!!

Is Margaritaville still open? How's the Yardhouse? I've been to the Yardhouse location at Desert Ridge but not not the 1 at Westgate.

What are some other really nice Restaurants or Bars at Westgate or close by where the Food, Drinks and Service are top-notch? I really want to get out to Westgate, I'm going thru Hockey withdrawal and am craving some Bar action.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
McFaddens has replaced Fox Sports Grill and IMO is a much better venue.

SaddleRanch is now open as well and it's pretty good.

Margaritaville is still open.

Yard House is my normal go to spot though for pre-game. They normally have a happy hour going on that aligns well where you can get some food and one of their 100+ beers for discounted prices. It's like the one at Desert Ridge, so that should give you some idea.

If you want to go one exit up you have the parkwest area at northern/101 .... The Auld Dubliner is a good irish bar, BJs is your chain microbrewery and the sandbar is the westside cousin to the scottsdale location.

If you are looking more at just drinking I would probably focus more on mcfaddens, dubliner and sandbar for a more traditional bar feel.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
McFaddens has replaced Fox Sports Grill and IMO is a much better venue.

SaddleRanch is now open as well and it's pretty good.

Margaritaville is still open.

Yard House is my normal go to spot though for pre-game. They normally have a happy hour going on that aligns well where you can get some food and one of their 100+ beers for discounted prices. It's like the one at Desert Ridge, so that should give you some idea.

If you want to go one exit up you have the parkwest area at northern/101 .... The Auld Dubliner is a good irish bar, BJs is your chain microbrewery and the sandbar is the westside cousin to the scottsdale location.

If you are looking more at just drinking I would probably focus more on mcfaddens, dubliner and sandbar for a more traditional bar feel.
Thanks!!!!!!!

I have to try Mc Faddens - good recommendation.

I'm only a moderate Drinker, more into eating and socializing than hanging out at Bars to get wasted.

The steaks at the Desert Ridge Yardhouse were pretty good. I've been meaning to try the Yardhouse at Westgate.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 AM
zox

344 posts, read 478,882 times
Can anyone recommend a great restaurant or place to eat near there? I'm more concerned with the quality of food than the social scene and ambience. Is there an actual good restaurant in West Gate other than just touristy type of chain bars like Yardhouse?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 AM

What do you consider a good restaurant?

There is a flemings at 101 & northern that is really good even if it is a chain

There are also a couple higher end restaurants up in the arrowhead area as well.

I actually don't mind a lot of the food at the Yardhouse - they run a happy hour until like 6pm - the pizzas and most appetizers are half price .... can usually get pretty full on decent food and a couple drinks before the game for a good price

if you are looking to go to the area and just eat I would probably say that SaddleRanch has the best food - just keep in mind as the night goes on it will turn into more of a bar scene

I find the food at the Auld Dubliner to be really good as well .... not exactly haute cuisine, but good standard irish pub food

Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 PM

428 posts, read 1,064,763 times
The Yardhouse! Great sliders, great fries and more kinds of beer than you could try in an entire football season of visits.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,857 times
Quote:
I'm only a moderate Drinker, more into eating and socializing than hanging out at Bars to get wasted.
Come on, binge drinking on an empty stomach is great!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM
zox

344 posts, read 478,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What do you consider a good restaurant?

There is a flemings at 101 & northern that is really good even if it is a chain

There are also a couple higher end restaurants up in the arrowhead area as well.

I actually don't mind a lot of the food at the Yardhouse - they run a happy hour until like 6pm - the pizzas and most appetizers are half price .... can usually get pretty full on decent food and a couple drinks before the game for a good price

if you are looking to go to the area and just eat I would probably say that SaddleRanch has the best food - just keep in mind as the night goes on it will turn into more of a bar scene

I find the food at the Auld Dubliner to be really good as well .... not exactly haute cuisine, but good standard irish pub food
I didn't know there was a Flemings at Northern and 101...good to know. I love Flemings. By good restaurant, I mean not bar food or even glorified bar food (Yardhouse). I like eating at bars if I want a quick bite to eat but for several of the Sunday night Cardinals games, I was trying to find a restaurant more known for its food than its atmosphere like most of the West Gate places are known for. I'm not interested in haute cuisine like North or Flemings but a place known for its grub. If you know of unique non chain restaurants with good food in the Glendale area, let me know

Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM

There are plenty.

SaddleRanch is a small chain and is definitely a place that has a large focus on it's atmosphere. As such you probably pay a touch more for the food than you would in a similar stripped down establishment.

However, the atmosphere isn't bad and it's right next to the stadium. They go beyond barfood with their steaks and some of their entrees - although there is a big selection of burgers, wraps, etc as well.

Downtown Glendale has a lot of good options for more homestyle meals.

One of my favorite places is owned by a polish couple - A Touch of European Cafe .... not sure how late they are open, but the food is excellent. Pierogis, Kielbasa, Cabbage Rolls, incredible soups, etc - it's a BYOB if that matters

The next two places are ones that I enjoyed before they were featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives - but still are good.

Haus Murphys has good German food and their little alleyway is a nice place to sit with a light bite and a drink.

La Piazza Al Forno is good pizza and italian entrees. They have some sandwiches for lunch and their cheesecake is killer.

Cee-Cees on the Corner is good for breakfast and lunch - basic fare, but done right.

Kiss the Cook I like more for breakfast than anything else.

If you come down the 101 there are more up in that corridor - although I'm a bit out of touch as I don't live there anymore

Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Come on, binge drinking on an empty stomach is great!
Ok, just be sure to have a Toilet and a Stretcher handy!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: