Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times

Advertisements

CMIST: Comment on Estrella. When I say it is the illusion of a small town I am not being precise. A better way of putting it is it has the illusion of not being a part of a big city - Phoenix. Verrado might have a better small town illusion because they have the "downtown" thing there as well as the geographical separation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM

845 posts, read 2,329,829 times
Rio Rico is nice and cheap. The nicer side (east), borders Patagonia, which is nice (but expensive). Patagonia has good schools.Things have really fallen apart, across the border. Otherwise, it adds a unique dimension to dining and shopping. I've heard Safford was real interesting, but I've never been there.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,692 times
I don't want to get into a NC vs. AZ thing but as a point of reference, I am referring to about 5 years ago when I was searching homes out there. Just as we dropped off the peak and became the worst in the country, Raleigh was listed as the top sellers market.

People have been migrating forever from NY/NJ to NC or down to FL first and then back up to NC, I think they call them halfway backers? That trend has been going on for as long as people have been moving to Phoenix... but still as of yet they didn't have the same problems we have. I think many NY/NJ people think of the south as full of hillbillies etc. so they come out west to play cowboy instead.

BUT, to stay on topic, I didn't bring up NC to debate who is going to be worse, I thought it was necessary to show an example of a type of living arrangement I am aware of that could be found for cheap in other parts of the country thats not available in AZ for any amount of money. I haven't ever looked back to see if it has appreciated out of reach in NC due to outrageous popularity. Your lakefront property being impossible outside Phoenix comment cracked me up, so true, LOL!

As I mentioned in the previous county threads, other places have been set up with much smaller counties and I think all the micro management pushes the growth into one county while the counties surrounding the main city have much stronger anti-growth attitudes and it keeps them truer to their original rural feel. That my guess as to why some regions actually have small towns nearby big cities which is not something you can really accomplish in Phoenix. (Closest I could think of would be like New River or Black Canyon City?) Maricopa county is basically Phoenix on steroids rolling over any towns that stand in its path.

I was not trying to bash Phx for fun, I legitimately think it sounds like a bad fit for the OP who mentioned they prefer small town living, along with farmers markets, snow shoeing, etc. For people who are open minded to the south, and its actually what her husband prefers, this sounds like the wrong state to try and find that type of thing to me.

I also understand finding places off the beaten path and agree. Whether its too late to jump on the NC train or not, I have no idea. I know that things exist that I prefer to Phoenix and probably would describe myself as closer to the OP than anyone who loves Phoenix. When I figure out how and where to move, I promise I'll still drop in to rib ya every now & then Ponderosa Especially when I get drift of a 115* summer day!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think there is anywhere in AZ you can buy lakefront property (outside of PHX, lol). There is a small lake in Lakeside that has property fronting it.

NC is on my short list of places I am not going to get to. Unfortunately, it is on just about everyone else's too. Look at the number of posts in CD-NC. It is extremely popular. If it hasn't been ruined by growth it soon will be. Unlike AZ where the horror of growth has been confined largely to the Phoenix area sparing the public lands of the state, in NC it will be much more widespread. Floridians and NY'ers will buy up and run up all that nice property and then put in laws saying you can't go near it. They'll have their malls and chains and copycat architecture. They'll clamor for light rail and high rises and try to turn your town into Philadelphia or wherever they came from.

You need to find somewhere less "in". Like PHX, people will love a popular place to death. Oklahoma was my idea for a while. I have lakefront property there. But it has its problems too and I don't think rural OK is a place the kids would care for much.

There was a time that I loved AZ. I spent hours exploring it in every which way. I don't think I am getting out of here alive. I am looking for what it was that made me love it so much when I got sent here by Uncle Sam and try to rekindle that flame. That is why I take issue with your negative side to things so often.

Last edited by cmist; 01-05-2010 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I don't want to get into a NC vs. AZ thing but as a point of reference, I am referring to about 5 years ago when I was searching homes out there. Just as we dropped off the peak and became the worst in the country, Raleigh was listed as the top sellers market.

People have been migrating forever from NY/NJ to NC or down to FL first and then back up to NC, I think they call them halfway backers? That trend has been going on for as long as people have been moving to Phoenix... but still as of yet they didn't have the same problems as we have. I think many NY/NJ people think of the south as full of hillbillies etc. so they come out west to play cowboy instead.

As I mentioned in the previous county threads, other places have been set up with much smaller counties and I think all the micro management pushes the growth into one county while the ones surrounding the main city have a much stronger anti-growth attitude and keeps them truer to the original rural feel. This is completely unlike Maricopa county which is basically Phoenix on steroids rolling over any towns that stood in its path.

BUT, to stay on topic, I didn't bring up NC to debate who is going to be worse, but thought it was necessary to show you an example of a type of living arrangement I am aware of that could be found for cheap in other parts of the country thats not available in AZ for any amount of money. I haven't ever looked back to see if it has appreciated out of reach due to outrageous popularity.

I was not trying to bash Phx for fun, I legitimately think it sounds like a bad fit for the OP who mentioned they prefer small town living, along with farmers markets, snow shoeing, etc. For people who are open minded to the south, and its actually what her husband prefers, this sounds like the wrong state to try and find that type of thing to me.

Whether its too late to jump on the NC train or not, I have no idea. I know that things exist that I prefer to Phoenix and probably would describe myself as closer to the OP than anyone who loves Phoenix. When I figure out how and where to move, I promise I'll still drop in to rib ya every now & then Ponderosa Especially when I get drift of a 115* summer day!! LOL
I don't think the OP will be "snowshoeing" much in NC...but it will get hot and way humid with bugs the size of baby birds trying to eat you.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:

People have been migrating forever from NY/NJ to NC or down to FL first and then back up to NC, I think they call them halfway backers? That trend has been going on for as long as people have been moving to Phoenix... but still as of yet they didn't have the same problems we have. I think many NY/NJ people think of the south as full of hillbillies etc. so they come out west to play cowboy instead.

As I mentioned in the previous county threads, other places have been set up with much smaller counties and I think all the micro management pushes the growth into one county while the counties surrounding the main city have much stronger anti-growth attitudes and it keeps them truer to their original rural feel. This is completely unlike Maricopa county which is basically Phoenix on steroids rolling over any towns that stood in its path.

BUT, to stay on topic, I didn't bring up NC to debate who is going to be worse, I thought it was necessary to show an example of a type of living arrangement I am aware of that could be found for cheap in other parts of the country thats not available in AZ for any amount of money. I haven't ever looked back to see if it has appreciated out of reach in NC due to outrageous popularity. Your lakefront property being impossible outside Phoenix comment cracked me up, so true, LOL!

Whether its too late to jump on the NC train or not, I have no idea. I know that things exist that I prefer to Phoenix and probably would describe myself as closer to the OP than anyone who loves Phoenix. When I figure out how and where to move, I promise I'll still drop in to rib ya every now & then Ponderosa Especially when I get drift of a 115* summer day!! LOL
No argument from me that PHX is wrong for the OP. The kind of people who do well here are more the California stereotype than the Kentucky stereotype. But you never know.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Back to the original post. I'll put in my 2 cents. I think Sierra Vista might work for you. It has most of what you are looking for. It's a tad more pricey than Phoenxi these days, but within your range. The weather is near perfect. There is a huge mountain range nearby (public land), a couple fishing lakes. If you live near there, you can have great views, nice places to walk, etc. Employment is so-so. Its a military town of sorts, but has an economy. It is not like some of the other decent small towns in AZ in that it is not (yet) overrun by California retirees. It's a few hours to your relatives in PHX though. It's not Tennessee, but it is not your notion of Arizona either. Sierra Vista is where my days in AZ began and I still have a fondness for the place.

Another one: Not AZ but still in the general area. Silver City NM. Cute little place with all the tony trappings. From what I have heard the schools are not too great, but schools are more about parents anyway, IMO. This little town got hot a few years ago and the Cali people may have ruined it. But check it out.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I don't think the OP will be "snowshoeing" much in NC...but it will get hot and way humid with bugs the size of baby birds trying to eat you.
Hey, they have snowy mountains in NC (Smoky Mtns & Blue Ridge) that are only 2-3 hours to the west! Just like here.

And we have bugs the size of flying chihuahuas. Have you ever seen those Palo Verde beetles? Blind as bats bumping into everything and getting tangled in long haired people?

I kind of like the smaller towns up north over the smaller towns down south especially if you like a little snow and winter fun. I like the White Mountain towns over Payson, Prescott, and Flagstaff, but I have heard they are highly "mormon" and make it hard for you to integrate with the community if you are not. Does anyone know if thats true?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Hey, they have snowy mountains in NC (Smoky Mtns & Blue Ridge) that are only 2-3 hours to the west! Just like here.
I've lived in the region and wouldn't call the "mountainous" terrain in eastern Carolina snowshoe territory but I guess it could be done. I don't remember there being any snowshoeing or Nordic Center facilities like in Arizona where the activity was widespread. You won't see many mountain towns in NC where they breakout the skis to get around from time to time when the plows can't get out or can't keep up with the accumulation.

Quote:
And we have bugs the size of flying dogs. Have you ever seen those Palo Verde beetles? Blind as bats bumping into everything and getting tangled in long haired people?
Exaggerations, LOL! I've never seen people running from locusts and they aren't that big. I have seen some huge beetles though...ew! LOL

Quote:
I kind of like the smaller towns up north over the smaller towns down south especially if you like a little snow and winter fun. I like the White Mountain towns over Payson, Prescott, and Flagstaff, but I have heard they are highly "mormon" and make it hard for you to integrate with the community if you are not. Does anyone know if thats true?
There are some mormons but many of these towns are liberal; especially Flagstaff and parts of Prescott. They have large and city sponsored events like Gay Day Celebrations during Pride Week...Prescott and Payson are more conservative BUT they are not heavily mormon.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 PM

45 posts, read 118,318 times
Quote:
And we have bugs the size of flying chihuahuas. Have you ever seen those Palo Verde beetles? Blind as bats bumping into everything and getting tangled in long haired people?
I hate hate hate those things. I've literally run away from them before and I swear, even though they seem blind, they chase me. Horrible, nasty things *shudder*

Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
I hate hate hate those things. I've literally run away from them before and I swear, even though they seem blind, they chase me. Horrible, nasty things *shudder*
I think they are called cicadas or something like that. They do not look pretty, that is for sure, LOL! But they typically don't "fall" on you. I'd love to see someone chased by a bug; I personally don't like them, especially during military training outdoors in Texas and the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area