Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 AM

223 posts, read 596,275 times

Advertisements

I've been in the Phoenix area for about 10 months now, living in Scottsdale and working in North Phoenix. I like it here. I read a lot about the unemployment, the bargain basement housing, etc. But on the other hand, as I explore the place, I come across phenomenal wealth. At restaurants in Scottsdale, I've seen two Ferrari's and a Bentley parked outside; mansions in Paradise Valley; more fancy furniture stores and high-end restaurants than you can count.

I've spent the last 25+ years in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Silicon Valley area) where there is also phenomenal wealth - but there, I know where it comes from - it's obvious (*). But I have no clue where the wealth in the Phoenix area comes from. I know there's a lot of retirees here, and I guess lots of rich folk have second homes here, but I would not have thought that would be enough to explain what I'm seeing here. So where does the money come from?

-----------
(*) - drive around the Bay Area and you'll see the head offices for Google, Intel, HP, AMD, Apple, Genentech, Cisco, Oracle, Charles Schwab, etc -. Then there's the (relatively) 'old money' of the Getty's the Stanford's, etc. So when you drive around Hillsborough, or Atherton, or Palo Alto, you 'know' where the money is from ...

Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Dealing drugs

Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I've been in the Phoenix area for about 10 months now, living in Scottsdale and working in North Phoenix. I like it here. I read a lot about the unemployment, the bargain basement housing, etc. But on the other hand, as I explore the place, I come across phenomenal wealth. At restaurants in Scottsdale, I've seen two Ferrari's and a Bentley parked outside; mansions in Paradise Valley; more fancy furniture stores and high-end restaurants than you can count.

I've spent the last 25+ years in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Silicon Valley area) where there is also phenomenal wealth - but there, I know where it comes from - it's obvious (*). But I have no clue where the wealth in the Phoenix area comes from. I know there's a lot of retirees here, and I guess lots of rich folk have second homes here, but I would not have thought that would be enough to explain what I'm seeing here. So where does the money come from?

-----------
(*) - drive around the Bay Area and you'll see the head offices for Google, Intel, HP, AMD, Apple, Genentech, Cisco, Oracle, Charles Schwab, etc -. Then there's the (relatively) 'old money' of the Getty's the Stanford's, etc. So when you drive around Hillsborough, or Atherton, or Palo Alto, you 'know' where the money is from ...
Real estate investors, entrepreneurs, Californians who sold their homes for high prices and moved to AZ, doctors, lawyers, plastic surgeons, heirs and heiresses, retired folks, transplants who acquired money somewhere else, celebrities, etc.

Phoenix has seen a lot of transplants over the years, including wealthy people. Wealthy individuals are attracted to warmer weather and cheaper real estate prices just like your everyday person.

Just because Phoenix isn't a bastion of Fortune 500 companies doesn't mean that there aren't wealthy people.

Also, a lot of what the outward wealth you see here in Phoenix is people who "appear" wealthy. You would never know by looking at them that they're up to their eyeballs in debt, their Bentley is a rental or is leased, they have no furniture in their house, etc. Keeping up with the Jones' is a big part of life in certain parts of the Valley.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:22 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,637 times
Quote:
Also, a lot of what the outward wealth you see here in Phoenix is people who "appear" wealthy. You would never know by looking at them that they're up to their eyeballs in debt, their Bentley is a rental or is leased, they have no furniture in their house, etc. Keeping up with the Jones' is a big part of life in certain parts of the Valley.
I see the same "$30k millionaires" in Hermosa Beach and the Newport Coast! Poseurs. The other extreme is that there are many more people out there with a high net worth (over $1,000,000) who live very modestly, dress down, drive an economy car, and never worry about whether or not if they get canned from a job.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 01-24-2010 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
You're seeing them because you're hanging out in Scottsdale & N. Phoenix. If you want to see the other side of our metropolitan area try south central Phoenix.

I don't know what they do in Scottsdale, but the uber wealthy have congregated there ever since I can remember.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 AM

178 posts, read 480,689 times
There are lots of internet moguls, microchip manufactures, and other computer and technology based business men locally too.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Human smugglers, gun dealers, kidnappers, pimps, and politicians

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-24-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,800 times
You'd be amazed how many of those Scottsdale BMWs and Mercedes are parked under a carport at some apartment complex.

Dude is just trying to get laid.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,637 times
At my apartment complex a 30ish blond woman drives a Porsche Boxster - parked under the carport. I saw a corvette. Of course a bunch of SUVs too. Guess they'd sell them to pay for rent if they would lose their jobs. But if 1 out of 2 people loses their job they won't get much out of those vehicles. The macro economy has systemic ills that won't be fixed until we severely cut government spending and pay off the national debt. This systemic problem will put us in a double dip, or even triple dip recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
You'd be amazed how many of those Scottsdale BMWs and Mercedes are parked under a carport at some apartment complex.

Dude is just trying to get laid.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 01-24-2010 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post

This simply is not true. While I do agree a lot of people live above their means to look more successful than they actually are, they still have to be wealthy to do it nonetheless. Their is NO way to even lease a new Bentley unless you are wealthy. My full time job would not even cover the monthly lease payment alone in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area