Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,028,960 times

Advertisements

Or put another way, as the sixth largest city in the US, does is show it when you're out and about? Or is it like, well we're number six, but where is everyone? I don't know, I've never been there. Wikipedia shows Phoenix's population spread out over a huge area, 519 miles. But what surprises me is the overall density is still over 3000 people per sq mile. Heck where I live, in Tampa, FL the density is just under that. And I certainly never feel like our streets are deserted. Even at 4am there are always some cars in the major roads. I'm not one of those people that fantasize about empty streets. I like there to be activity and movement. Phoenix has bound to have at least as much hustle and bustle as where I live right? And they wouldn't have built all those freeways in Phoenix for some sleepy little desert town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,919,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Or put another way, as the sixth largest city in the US, does is show it when you're out and about? Or is it like, well we're number six, but where is everyone? I don't know, I've never been there. Wikipedia shows Phoenix's population spread out over a huge area, 519 miles. But what surprises me is the overall density is still over 3000 people per sq mile. Heck where I live, in Tampa, FL the density is just under that. And I certainly never feel like our streets are deserted. Even at 4am there are always some cars in the major roads. I'm not one of those people that fantasize about empty streets. I like there to be activity and movement. Phoenix has bound to have at least as much hustle and bustle as where I live right? And they wouldn't have built all those freeways in Phoenix for some sleepy little desert town.
It's a West Coast thing. Las Vegas and even LA feel the same way. I live in a neighborhood that has 10K per square mile and sometimes you hardly see anyone walking on the street. It's the West Coast way.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,088,699 times
Yes, I walk the dogs around my house when it cools down in the evening. There isn't a soul out. There are lots of homes, but not one person do I meet while we walk. I guess the heat keeps everyone inside. But if you go to the local Walmart, you will see where everyone is !

Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,351,497 times
People are out in my area in the morning with the dogs. Also I see them around 9 PM walking. Otherwise they are out shopping or going to movies it seems. Did you notice all the stores here! There are plenty of people - way too plenty. Everyone is in cars.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,253,241 times
Same deal in my neighborhood .... pepple out with dogs, family walks, etc .... kids playing in greenbelts .... when temps spike up a lot the #s thin out, but you definitely do see people

and if you forget there are people around just go the stores or any other public place

you'll see cars fairly consistently

it's not an "urban" city like you'd find in NY, Philly SF, etc

It is a massive metro and it typically follows a grouping of sub-division neighborhoods with a couple strip malls, grocery stores, gas stations, etc and it just kind of replicates

Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,042,263 times
Quote:
A lot of it has to do with the way an area is developed. Phoenix is one of many US cities designed for driving only. Walking or taking a bike or mass transit are distant afterthoughts. So people just go from their air conditioned houses, to their cars, to shopping malls and strip malls, to offices, all desinged with big parkings lots for you to drive to in your car.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,325,238 times
I live in an older central Phoenix neighborhhod. During the cooler months - there are lots of folks on the street all the time. Right now during the heat no - not so much.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,028,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There are plenty of people - way too plenty.
Good that's what I wanted to hear. I don't mind the traffic, I just don't want to live in a city that has a rural feel to it.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM

932 posts, read 1,966,194 times
Out here not too many but when I walk downtown. There's a decent amount of people walking around in the heat of the day.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Good that's what I wanted to hear. I don't mind the traffic, I just don't want to live in a city that has a rural feel to it.
I don't know where you live now but if you have an area in your town that developed in the past few years with chain restaurants, new homes, gas stations - all new and spiffy looking then take that image and multiplyit by one hundred and then one thousand and then maybe even 10000 and you will have Phoenix. Nobody is going to call it rural around here. It's endless suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area