Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

And I wouldn't mind finding a local girl from there in Phoenix. It's the Minnesota girls you gotta watch out for. They'll never leave this place
The girls in Phoenix are all snobby gold diggers. Trust me on this. I have been to Minnesota before, and I found the girls there to be equally attractive but MUCH friendlier and down to earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The girls in Phoenix are all snobby gold diggers. Trust me on this. I have been to Minnesota before, and I found the girls there to be equally attractive but MUCH friendlier and down to earth.
I had pretty good luck. I mostly fished from the company pier, though.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
Quote:
Oh there's plenty of attractive girls here in MN. It's just they'd never wanna leave MN. Of all the girls I know, it's true for about 95% of them.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 AM

256 posts, read 664,583 times
Quote:

It's also hard to detach myself from my hatred of snow. I absolutely hate when it snows here because I hate the risks of driving in it. It's really not fun and can be downright dangerous. I wouldn't mind if a place had highs of normally 30's and 40's in the winter, just as long as it was sunny.

Though Denver is cold, I'm wondering if it's at all comparable to Duluth? Does Denver get snow in November, and it stays on the ground until April, or does it melt relatively quickly? I wouldn't mind that all too much.
Well, I don't know much about the weather in Duluth b/c I live quite a ways from it. However, I do know it is worse then where I live in West Central MN, & that is bad enough. From my research & talking with classmates that live in Denver, it is a great city & not near as bad winter wise. They get snow early, usually in Oct & it lasts about as long as MN winters. The difference is, it is one of the sunniest places to live in the US. It is frequently in the 30 or 40 (sometimes lower or higher) so when the snow falls it is often gone by the end of the day or in a couple. Like right now, it is 26 but will be a high of 40. So their winters are cold, just not as brutal, b/c it's not in the mountains. The job market is better there, too. It's also more of a commuter city, I think.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
lol I've found the girls from somewhere else are always prettier.

Kinda like "The grass is always greener..."

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
My recommendation, don't lock yourself down to one place yet. Look for a job first. Take the locale into consideration. Then make the decision. Just my opinion.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
lol I've found the girls from somewhere else are always prettier.

Kinda like "The grass is always greener..."
You really can not beat those girls in Scottsdale, at least looks wise. However, they are definitely snobs. I used to be a delivery driver for years, and Phoenix girls in general have nasty personalities.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
A It's the Minnesota girls you gotta watch out for. They'll never leave this place
Mine did.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Mine did.
Do they have lutefisk dinners at the Lutheran church there in Kingman? That might explain it.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
About the SD thing, yeah it seems like houses are a lot more expensive in SD. Almost ridiculous. But I know I could afford a house at 275k once I get a good job, it's just a matter of what KIND of house. Though I may look at something a little older for myself.

An apartment would be out of the question for my parents. They don't like the idea of "downgrading". We have a custom built home here in Duluth on a nice piece of land. And I will not live with my parents after moving there. I'll have done that for way too long. I'm ready to be on my own. Or at least have roomies.

Very true that there's tons of young people in Phoenix. That's why I like Tempe so much. There's a ton of people closer to my age there.

I do believe I could adjust to the driving thing. But that's the whole reason I want to be in a more "central" location, so I don't have to drive such extraordinarily lengths. Driving from the SE corner of Gilbert (if I were to live there) to Tempe just to have a good time on a Saturday just doesn't sound appealing to me. So I don't mind a short drive, but long drives - no thanks.

And I wouldn't mind finding a local girl from there in Phoenix. It's the Minnesota girls you gotta watch out for. They'll never leave this place
Well, the things you are concerned about, IE. spread out and driving everywhere is going to be a real factor that won't get better. To live anywhere near Tempe you are going to pay big bucks for OLD... so it looks like your decision boils down to sacrifice as always. Move to the older hipper parts near rail lines etc. or to get new stuff live on the fringes.

Also consider your future.... Know full well that after meeting your "Phoenix" girl, this will likely involve moving to the suburban fringes since you may start valuing things like an extra bedroom or a larger yard which are not typically found in the same areas that are "cooler".

For now, you can live in an old funky house somewhere cool, but when wife and baby come along and you force yourself into the suburbs, you will feel like an old goat trading tips with your suburban neighbors about how to achieve the greenest winter lawn and ad matching strawberry prices at the local walmart.

There aren't many activities here geared for the 30-50 group besides eating out.... So suburban life will be boring unless you splurge on desert toys and boats and make it a habit to get out and do things with this desert you live in. Factor in the likelihood of what exactly will you be doing because once you move here and get into a routine, it will be hard to leave.

If it were me, I would save AZ for retirement. You can still love it from afar, but live it up while you are young. I act like I hate it here, but its not that, I just feel like its better for people who are worn out on life and just want to come and veg out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area