Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,282,542 times

Advertisements

It is hot, but as most posters said the dry heat is very bearable in the 90-100 range. I think when people in humid climates see it being 95 in April out here they freak out. Because I've seen 95 degrees in St. Louis and it's brutal. But 95 with 5-10% humidity is actually not that bad at all. I have family in both Wisconsin and Missouri, and have spent summers there on a few occasions. The typical summer day in the Midwest is nice to sit around outside and enjoy the weather. But if you start to do anything active the humidity kicks you in the gut. Out here you get kicked the moment you walk outside. So the summers are better in the Midwest. But the difference in winters is SO MUCH more measurable. I was playing tennis today at sunset in shorts and a t-shirt. . . outside!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,332,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
I have a friend who nearly dies from heat exhaustion when it hits 80 F. For me, as long as it gets below 110 at some point during the day, I'm good. Until you have lived in a climate you won't know if you can handle/like it or not.
I've lived in many different climates, including Phoenix and Tucson, and I definitely agree that personal preferences matter. Some people love the heat, some love the cold.

For my money, Denver CO has the best weather in the US. Yes it snows, but we have over 300 days of sunshine per year. Today, 1/31/10, it was 55 degrees, sunny and beautiful. Open a window at night and the house is cool and pleasant. Snow days are rare, but even when they come we have sunshine the next day and moderate temps. Summers range between 70-90 degrees, with most days between 75-85. Perfect.

I can't handle the extremes. AZ is way too hot. MN is way too cold. Give me the moderate climate here at the base of the Rockies any day!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,149 times
I love the heat and az. Too. I currently live in ca. And it has been very cold here lately!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,755,079 times
I like to be active outside during the day and not be sweating constantly, so I am quite grumpy in Arizona from May - Oct. The only time I like the heat is when I'm tubing the Salt River or boating at the lake.
My car steering wheel is burning hot even when it's not in direct sunlight, and don't forget about the nice metal part of the seat belt too. What's almost bothers me more is when it's still 90 out at 5:00 am!
Dec - Mar is my favorite time of the year in Phoenix when I can actually enjoy being active outside. I even dread April coming when it gets in the 90s.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I like to be active outside during the day and not be sweating constantly, so I am quite grumpy in Arizona from May - Oct. The only time I like the heat is when I'm tubing the Salt River or boating at the lake.
My car steering wheel is burning hot even when it's not in direct sunlight, and don't forget about the nice metal part of the seat belt too. What's almost bothers me more is when it's still 90 out at 5:00 am!
Dec - Mar is my favorite time of the year in Phoenix when I can actually enjoy being active outside. I even dread April coming when it gets in the 90s.
You are def not a desert dweller, LOL. May and October are warm to us, not hot, LOL! Especially in the evenings/mornings when these months see temps as low as the 60's...

Like stated ad nauseam, buy a windshield reflector to shade your vehicle and avoid parking in direct sunlight. You can also cover your steering wheel and shifter, etc. Dark tint is legal in AZ. I've noticed many new vehicles also have remote start! If I had one, I'd turn on my car with air on a couple minutes before I'd get in...

Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,755,079 times
75 for a high is perfect for me!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
One word.

Seersucker.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One word.

Seersucker.
Very nice cotton, reminds me of guayaberas BUT modern and appealing.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

16 posts, read 53,696 times
As an AZ native, the longer you live here, the longer the summers get.

But for me, it depends when the triple-digit heat actually starts. If it's over 100 in May, you're in for a long, hot summer.

And it does get a bit humid here with monsoon season, not so much humid, but muggy. I love monsoon season and is the ONLY thing about summer that I look forward to.

And if you have kids, they will be bored all summer as the playgrounds/parks are all too hot, and playing outside for more than 5 minutes will cause heat exhaustion. You have to have go to a pool, or invest in a waterpark pass. Get a sunscreen with an SPF 45+. Or get used to scheduling playdates at a McDonald's or a mall.

Also, I am always in awe of the people that think they can go hiking here mid-day in the summer. The heat is as extreme and as hard on your body as a harsh winter. People do get heat exhaustion and have to be hospitalized or even die. There was 14 year old that died last summer from hiking at the height of summer in the middle of the day...you have to prepare just like any other extreme weather conditions. Water, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, shade, light colored clothing....the heat is no joke!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinAZ View Post
Also, I am always in awe of the people that think they can go hiking here mid-day in the summer. The heat is as extreme and as hard on your body as a harsh winter. People do get heat exhaustion and have to be hospitalized or even die. There was 14 year old that died last summer from hiking at the height of summer in the middle of the day...you have to prepare just like any other extreme weather conditions. Water, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, shade, light colored clothing....the heat is no joke!
I do it all the time along with thousands of others who know what their doing. That 14 year old was an Alaska tourist and his family had 1-liter water bottles for each person and got lost off the main trail. There were reports that his family refused water from passer-bys after they all long ran out of water! Heat is fine, even extreme heat if in good health, wear appropriate clothing (protect skin), and HYDRATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area