Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM

49 posts, read 167,246 times

Advertisements

This is probably going to end up being a bit disorganized, but I'll try my best.

I'm looking for a place to relocate to, and I absolutely despise where I am right now. I've bounced all over the place in the past, but had never been to Phoenix... so I decided to give it a shot.

I am 28. Single male. My main hobbies are cars, sportbikes, and hiking. I am adventurous and love to explore.

Here goes:

Car scene...
The car scene in Phoenix is MUCH larger than nearly every place I've been so far. Second only to L.A. There are quite a few beat up hondas running around as well, but I saw some absolutely beautiful cars as well.

Sportbikes...
I saw quite a few. There are a ton of roads out there that look like a lot of fun to ride, as well.

Hiking trails...
What can I say? There are TONS of trails to hike without even leaving Phoenix. The scenery is amazing as well.

Heat...
This part surprised me a bit. The first couple of days I was there, the temps were in the high 70's, but never broke 80. Nearly everyone that I saw was walking around in shorts and T-shirts. I was still wearing pants and long sleeves. It was comfortable, but I wasn't about to shed my long pants and shirt. I lived in southwest Florida for a while, and when the temperatures dropped below 50, nearly everyone I worked with would show up with winter coats, gloves, hats, etc. I was expecting to see similar in an area that sees temps nearly 30 degrees hotter in the summer than in Florida.

Traffic cameras...
Having grown up on the east coast, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Interstate speeds are 75mph outside of the city, and photo enforcement cars are marked well in advance by signs. They don't flash for anything under 8mph over the posted speed. Inside city limits, 65mph. Try the east coast. Maine... roads are MUCH more straight than around the valley area and the speed limit is 65mph. Police are out in force and more than willing to write tickets for anything more than 2mph over the speed limit. Personally, I found it very comforting to be driving past police at 80mph and not worrying.

Various cities, my own opinion...
Absolutely LOVED phoenix. Scottsdale looked very nice, but also quite expensive. Tempe was decent. Mesa didn't look like any area I would want to visit on purpose again. Glendale was almost as unimpressive. Chandler looked OK, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Another random note...
Even the greasy spoon diners out there have food that isn't greasy. That was amazing. Where I am right now, you can order anything you want from anywhere you want, and you'll still get grease dripping all over everything when you take a bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM

123 posts, read 354,489 times
I have seen more Ferraris and Bentleys in Scottsdale than anywhere, including Miami. I think it may because of Barrett Jackson and the dry heat in Arizona.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I was driving through Paradise Valley when an Audi RS4 passed me. I immediately turned around and went back to the motel to grab a new pair of underwear. (I am a HUGE Audi fan, and owner of a B5 S4.)

I haven't posted about that car on Audizine (car forum) yet, but I know there are 140-160 Audizine members in the Metro area... a large portion of which meet up every single Saturday. I'd be willing to bet he is one of them.

My goal, at this point, is to be moved out there before the end of the year. I didn't even want to come back here. To each their own... I know. Not everyone loves phoenix the way I do right now. But, it is all about what area fits your lifestyle, you know? And I have yet to find an area in all of my travels (and they are extensive) that suits me better. I can't remember the last time I was as happy as I was while I was in phx.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,610,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB90 View Post
I have seen more Ferraris and Bentleys in Scottsdale than anywhere, including Miami. I think it may because of Barrett Jackson and the dry heat in Arizona.
You have never been to Beverly Hills? Cruise down Sunset or Rodeo Drive....

Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
You have never been to Beverly Hills? Cruise down Sunset or Rodeo Drive....

20%-30% of which are rentals.

There are definitely a lot of nice cars in CA, but the major difference I see is that people in Phoenix actually drive them. 98% of the ones Ive seen in CA were people who buy the cars just to look cool and pull girls. Mid-life crisis stuff, you know?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,707,783 times
You sound like me! I'm 29 year old male, single (well relationship, not married though), and love cars, bikes, and outdoor activities.

Scottsdale does have MANY nice cars, many can even be seen on the 101 or I10 during rush hour! I've seen 2 Bugatti Veyron's in the Phoenix area which is amazing since there are only about 200 in the entire world! Ferrari's are a common sight in Scottsdale, there in a 360 or 430 (not sure which) that is in my area.

I'd beg to argue that Phoenix/Scottsdale is the best area in the US if you own a high end sports car. Los Angeles is too congested and Miami has too many rainy days as well as those little things called hurricanes.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'd beg to argue that Phoenix/Scottsdale is the best area in the US if you own a high end sports car. Los Angeles is too congested and Miami has too many rainy days as well as those little things called hurricanes.
It certainly used to be. I was a delivery driver for many years in Phoenix, putting 200-250 miles a day in the Phoenix Metro. I drove my own vehicles which were always modified turbocharged sports cars. By the time I left in 2006, the severe photo radar infestation had just started to take effect. From what my local friends have been telling me, things have changed for the worse much more so in the last year. I used to cruise 80-90 MPH on the local freeways all the time in the past. My understanding is this is no longer possible.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It certainly used to be. I was a delivery driver for many years in Phoenix, putting 200-250 miles a day in the Phoenix Metro. I drove my own vehicles which were always modified turbocharged sports cars. By the time I left in 2006, the severe photo radar infestation had just started to take effect. From what my local friends have been telling me, things have changed for the worse much more so in the last year. I used to cruise 80-90 MPH on the local freeways all the time in the past. My understanding is this is no longer possible.
Meh... I had a TomTom for the trip, and it would warn me when coming up on traffic cams. Traffic seems to still flow at about 70-80mph... it just slows down momentarily when you get near a traffic cam.

Its infinitely better than the northeast, even with all of the cams. Speed limits are, on average, between 10 and 15mph faster for similar roads, and we have cops all over the place that don't let anything slide. 2mph over? $57 ticket and 2 points. Have a nice day.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 PM

240 posts, read 838,659 times
Poor Mesa, IMO it gets more of a bad rap than is warranted. It is more of a hit or miss kind of place, both good and bad areas. The same goes for Glendale. It just depends on where you go. Even Scottsdale has its not so nice areas, and when you drive around the metro area, you can go so-so area, good area, bad area, good area, not so good area, good area within so many blocks. Just saying... but it sounds like you will have a lot to do, given you like cars, sport bikes, and hiking. The temperature is another thing. Snowbirds and/or vacationers might be wearing shorts and t-shirts, but I'm still putting on a sweater at 72 degrees. Remember your water if you hike in the summer.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Scottsdale has some nice cars, but comparing it to CA? Cmon. Lets not get silly now. I see Bentleys and Rolls Royces and Ferraris on an almost daily basis, and I live in a town of only 20K people and its not even close to being super wealthy. Scottsdale isnt above the norm, especially for a town with a buttload of rich, ex-Northerner retirees. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area