Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 56,077 times

Advertisements

Captive companies like State Farm, Farmer's and Allstate can only offer one rate - their own. If you are shopping your insurance consider using an independent insurance agency.

The secret to insurance is you just never know which carrier you fit best. Most use credit scoring, which really throws a wrench into insurance comparison shopping. And for that reason an independent agency has a great advantage.

Moderator cut: Advertising

Last edited by sablebaby; 11-18-2007 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Do not advertise your company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,728,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Thanks Bummer! I read your post about Hartford (earlier in the thread) to my husband. I told him you are someone I trusted and look what you said about them.

Thanks, Annie . . . I sure hope he's not bigger than I am! Hehehe!

Believe me, I have no vested interest in The Hartford, however, I do have lots more spare time than money (also, not a big fan of insurance companies) so I try to have the most coverage with a well known company at the lowest rate possible.

Also, since the Jeep is 22 years old and has what some might consider a "cult following" . . . the increased declared value is a big plus for me while GEICO was a little reluctant to even cover it. They also offer a "hang around" incentive by dropping the deductible by 100 bucks each year which puts mine down to zero now. Not a bad benefit!

Give 'em a call . . . it definitely can't hurt!

Good Luck

Old 11-18-2007, 08:22 PM

547 posts, read 1,186,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Thanks, Annie . . . I sure hope he's not bigger than I am! Hehehe!

Believe me, I have no vested interest in The Hartford, however, I do have lots more spare time than money (also, not a big fan of insurance companies) so I try to have the most coverage with a well known company at the lowest rate possible.

Also, since the Jeep is 22 years old and has what some might consider a "cult following" . . . the increased declared value is a big plus for me while GEICO was a little reluctant to even cover it. They also offer a "hang around" incentive by dropping the deductible by 100 bucks each year which puts mine down to zero now. Not a bad benefit!

Give 'em a call . . . it definitely can't hurt!

Good Luck
Oh don't worry, he's not the jealous type.

I've always liked jeeps. Never had one but have always thought I'd like one. I was cancelled by an insurance company once because of my car choice. I had an orange 72 Firebird Formula with the hood scoop, big engine, mag wheels, etc. Oh well, I thought the car was worth having to find a new insurance company. Of course then I had to pay an even higher premium than I would have had to because then I had a cancellation on top of a high risk car.

On the deductible, Allstate does that as well, but their rates are just way too high.

We are definitely giving them a call. Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoiceArizona View Post
Captive companies like State Farm, Farmer's and Allstate can only offer one rate - their own. If you are shopping your insurance consider using an independent insurance agency.

The secret to insurance is you just never know which carrier you fit best. Most use credit scoring, which really throws a wrench into insurance comparison shopping. And for that reason an independent agency has a great advantage.

Moderator cut: Advertising
Thanks ChoiceArizona but I prefer to use a big name company. I'm sure the companies you represent are 100% trustworthy and reputable, but it's just how I feel. Maybe the OP feels differently. As far as credit scoring is concerned, it's not a problem, so it shouldn't affect our rates.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 PM

30 posts, read 138,853 times
Default Insurance

Quote:
Go with The Hartford, Arizona Annie!

I switch from GEICO to The Hartford about six or seven years ago and have never been sorry. Earlier this year I did a little policy shopping and the closest 2nd was AAA Insurance but they were still about 700 bucks higher.

I have one fairly new "sports car" and an old Jeep CJ-7 (added declared value) which are both considered "high risk" vehicles and my premium for full coverage is about $1,000 annually.
My experience is exactly the opposite. I have Geico and the quote from AARP/Hartford was several hundred dollars higher. I haven't been able to find any prices lower than Geico so I've stuck with them. Plus, they were the only company that ever got my deductible back from an accident that I was not at fault for. Not sure how they'd be if I was the one at fault.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Thanks ChoiceArizona but I prefer to use a big name company. I'm sure the companies you represent are 100% trustworthy and reputable, but it's just how I feel. Maybe the OP feels differently. As far as credit scoring is concerned, it's not a problem, so it shouldn't affect our rates.
Heh... big names. I found out (it's in one of my links above) that one of the companies with the best record in handling claims (what I find to be way more important than saving a few bucks) is some Chubb. I'd never heard of them and probably most of you haven't. So, I attempted to get it. That's when I realized there is a tier system in this business as well. They insure only 500K+ houses. The broker mentioned another company that even doesn't touch a house under 1 mil. My point here is that the "big name" is not necessarily the one you'd want to deal with should need be.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Heh... big names. I found out (it's in one of my links above) that one of the companies with the best record in handling claims (what I find to be way more important than saving a few bucks) is some Chubb. I'd never heard of them and probably most of you haven't. So, I attempted to get it. That's when I realized there is a tier system in this business as well. They insure only 500K+ houses. The broker mentioned another company that even doesn't touch a house under 1 mil. My point here is that the "big name" is not necessarily the one you'd want to deal with should need be.
That could be, but as I said, it's just how I feel. I'm sure there are very good small companies out there who are financially viable and wouldn't be a risk, but I just won't be one of the ones taking the risk.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,728,181 times
Quote:
Oh don't worry, he's not the jealous type.

I've always liked jeeps. Never had one but have always thought I'd like one. I was cancelled by an insurance company once because of my car choice. I had an orange 72 Firebird Formula with the hood scoop, big engine, mag wheels, etc. Oh well, I thought the car was worth having to find a new insurance company. Of course then I had to pay an even higher premium than I would have had to because then I had a cancellation on top of a high risk car.

On the deductible, Allstate does that as well, but their rates are just way too high.

We are definitely giving them a call. Thanks again!
Keep me updated . . . I'm curious!

by the way, sure sounds like one very nice Firebird. You stated "had" . . . no more? I could never part with my CJ-7.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:

by the way, sure sounds like one very nice Firebird. You stated "had" . . . no more? I could never part with my CJ-7.
Will do.

Yeah, I traded it in about 1985. The car dealer had another buyer before I even left the lot with my new car. It was very nice, but it was starting to give me a lot of trouble. It was the only car I ever owned that I didn't really want to trade in, but being of the female persuasion and not having any idea how to make repairs myself, it was getting too expensive. My BF at the time got tired of working on it, so it had to go.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:

We called them and set it up today. Our yearly rate is less than our 6 month rate was with Allstate!!!!!! Our homeowners is also cheaper, by $200! Allstate did us a favor by raising our rates yet again. It was just what we needed to get our tushys in gear and check around. We are going to wait until the end of the month to notify Allstate that we jumped ship. I thought we should give them a chance to compete for our business but hubby didn't want to do that. I guess he felt they mislead us with their original quote because they raised our rate so much with the first renewal. The old bait and switch or should I say deceptive advertising. Anyway, it's done and we are happy. Thanks again for the input!!!!
AA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area