Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple moving to Ahwahtukee, driving to New Jersey shipping belongings, pros and cons of using NJ or NY moving companies, details of drive to NJ

Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,154 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are making the move to Ahwahtukee next month. He and I are going to drive from New Jersey and we are going to have our belongings shipped. We have sold quite a bit of our stuff just to lighten our load.

Can anyone give me pro’s and con’s and pricing of moving companies? Specifically on moves from the New York and New Jersey area. Any pointers or suggestions will be extremely welcome.

If anyone has any experiences driving from New York or New Jersey, I would also love to read the good and the bad.

Thank you everyone, this site has been a really great help in our decision to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 08:55 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyh View Post
Hello all,

My husband and I are making the move to Ahwahtukee next month. He and I are going to drive from New Jersey and we are going to have our belongings shipped. We have sold quite a bit of our stuff just to lighten our load.

Can anyone give me pro’s and con’s and pricing of moving companies? Specifically on moves from the New York and New Jersey area. Any pointers or suggestions will be extremely welcome.

If anyone has any experiences driving from New York or New Jersey, I would also love to read the good and the bad.

Thank you everyone, this site has been a really great help in our decision to make the move.

I used Mayflower for my move from CT. They were pretty reasonable but it's just only me so I didnt' have a lot of stuff. I shipped a sofa, loveseat, dinette set, desk and about 30 or so boxes, 2 beds and a dresser and patio set. The cost was about $2000.

I had the stuff shipped and I drove cross country. I'll never forget this part of the trip, it was the best. I took the northern route, through PA, OH, etc. it's about 2500 miles total. I took my time because I made several stops to see friends along the way and I didn't drive at night.

If you need more info just let me know.

Good luck & enjoy the trip

Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,154 times
Thank you so much!!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 AM

32 posts, read 101,565 times
The best thing you can do is get as many quotes as you possibly can: I took the time to have 4 different companies come out. I found what they told me about how long distance moves work and how they do it more was as varied as their estimates! Since you pay for the actual weight, not the estimated, some estimates are low.

I threw out the lowest, the highest (which was a 'not to exceed' guarantee, so they estimated high). The 2 remaining weren't really close but I went with the higher. I thought the low one was due to the rep's inexperience so I really didn't believe his number, and I was very impressed with the info provided by the higher estimate. It was United Van Lines. His estimate ended up being very close> We got a GREAT, experienced driver who helped us a great deal in a lot of ways.

But the thing is you're dealing with a local office of a nationwide chain. While I think they represented their company well, you may not have as good, or maybe a better experience, depending on the quality of the local rep and the driver you get.

The best advice is my first statement: take the time to meet with as many as you have time for.

Last edited by NYtoAZ2007; 06-12-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: hit reply too soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area