Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,398 times

Advertisements

Shame that most people who live in the Phoenix area never get around most of this beautiful and diverse state. AZ Highways magazine every few years has an issue, "AZ the Everywhere State" showing beautiful places around the US, then similar spots here. Aside from all the desert landscaping, the mountains, the world's largest Ponderosa Pine Forest, we have beautiful rivers and lakes for kayaking and boating, two great ski areas about 3 hours from Phoenix, the Sea of Cortez just a few hours away for bigger boating or beaches. Southern CA and Nevada and New Mexico, Utah and Colorado are close by if you run out of places in AZ like Lake Powell, Monument Valley, etc. It would take a good part of most lifetimes to see and enjoy it all. Aside from the new MVD license requirements about riding in the desert, there are so many places to drive, ATV, cycle off road. We have great hunting and fishing. The Phoenix area itself has lots of arts, entertainment, gourmet dining and enough activities to keep anyone busy. If you have trouble meeting friends, Meetup.com has about 600 groups of every imaginable activity, hobby, sport, etc. where you can find friends and keep busy. The house market has slumped but not as bad as many states and now is a great time to buy with some incredible deals. Phoenix architecture is much more attractive than many parts of the country where ugly junk builder homes appeal to the tasteless. The job market in many fields isn't great but again not nearly as bad as in many states. If you can't find something to really enjoy here, you're just not trying or totally unimaginative. There may be some crime and illegals but most Hispanics here are hard working and lots of fun if you get to know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,667,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunare View Post
Shame that most people who live in the Phoenix area never get around most of this beautiful and diverse state. AZ Highways magazine every few years has an issue, "AZ the Everywhere State" showing beautiful places around the US, then similar spots here. Aside from all the desert landscaping, the mountains, the world's largest Ponderosa Pine Forest, we have beautiful rivers and lakes for kayaking and boating, two great ski areas about 3 hours from Phoenix, the Sea of Cortez just a few hours away for bigger boating or beaches. Southern CA and Nevada and New Mexico, Utah and Colorado are close by if you run out of places in AZ like Lake Powell, Monument Valley, etc. It would take a good part of most lifetimes to see and enjoy it all. Aside from the new MVD license requirements about riding in the desert, there are so many places to drive, ATV, cycle off road. We have great hunting and fishing. The Phoenix area itself has lots of arts, entertainment, gourmet dining and enough activities to keep anyone busy. If you have trouble meeting friends, Meetup.com has about 600 groups of every imaginable activity, hobby, sport, etc. where you can find friends and keep busy. The house market has slumped but not as bad as many states and now is a great time to buy with some incredible deals. Phoenix architecture is much more attractive than many parts of the country where ugly junk builder homes appeal to the tasteless. The job market in many fields isn't great but again not nearly as bad as in many states. If you can't find something to really enjoy here, you're just not trying or totally unimaginative. There may be some crime and illegals but most Hispanics here are hard working and lots of fun if you get to know them.
Ok, I'm not sure if you're a realtor or work for the chamber of commerce... BUT I simply have to correct some of the information you are throwing out there. Or maybe you are just trying to make a plug for your website.

FYI, the housing market in Phoenix slumped just about WORSE than any other city in the country. If you say not as bad as "some", you can only be referring to Las Vegas, because after them we're the worst. Thats great news for a buyer, but it won't be easy to buy something, and sell quickly for any type of profit if you want to get out. You'll probably have to pay out of pocket or join the short sale club to leave anytime soon. There are GOBS of home rentals though, so go that route if you want to experiment here.

Phoenix as a whole is not known for being "artsy", I would stay far from here if you are looking for something creative & artsy. The central phoenix area which is very small in comparison to the entire metro area would be the only area you can find anything remotely "artsy" or architecturally interesting... Otherwise the comment on the architecture being much more attractive than other parts is purely a personal taste thing. If you prefer stucco & tile roof and seeing huge swaths of land covered in total conformity, then yes, its interesting... but for me... not so much.

Everything regarding what Phoenix is close to is definitely nice, but think about where you live now... every state has its "getaways" and how often do you do those things?? You will go to the Sea of Cortez, the mountains etc. about as often as you pick up and drive 3 -4 hours away from home in your own state which I would venture to guess isn't that much.

I agree that there are amazing 4 wheel trails, but you need to have plenty of money to own the toys, the towing setups, and also pay for their gas & maintenance.

To sum it up, if you have the money, you can play here and have a good time, but if you dont there aren't many simple pleasures to enjoy on a day to day basis in the actual city of Phx itself.

I am by no means trying to BASH it here, but I really felt the need to put a little realism into this thread.

Last edited by cmist; 11-02-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,952 times
I love Arizona for many of the reasons furtunare lists.

There are so many wonderful places to visit and explore, it would take a lifetime to experience everything. Phoenix is a great city, too, and I'm very glad to be back after a four years elsewhere.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 AM

549 posts, read 1,561,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post

Phoenix as a whole is not known for being "artsy", I would stay far from here if you are looking for something creative & artsy. The central phoenix area which is very small in comparison to the entire metro area would be the only area you can find anything remotely "artsy" or architecturally interesting...

Otherwise the comment on the architecture being much more attractive than other parts is purely a personal taste thing. If you prefer stucco & tile roof and seeing huge swaths of land covered in total conformity, then yes, its interesting... but for me... not so much.

Everything regarding what Phoenix is close to is definitely nice, but think about where you live now... every state has its "getaways" and how often do you do those things?? You will go to the Sea of Cortez, the mountains etc. about as often as you pick up and drive 3 -4 hours away from home in your own state which I would venture to guess isn't that much.

I agree that there are amazing 4 wheel trails, but you need to have plenty of money to own the toys, the towing setups, and also pay for their gas & maintenance.

To sum it up, if you have the money, you can play here and have a good time, but if you dont there aren't many simple pleasures to enjoy on a day to day basis in the actual city of Phx itself.

I am by no means trying to BASH it here, but I really felt the need to put a little realism into this thread.
Not sure what you're intending to accomplish...after all, the poster does make some good points. First off, Phoenix may not be known as being "artsy," but Scottsdale certainly is, and downtown Phoenix is becoming another center of independent art.

Second, most states do not have the scenery of Arizona. I love Chicago - and I absolutely agree its architecture is far, far better than anything you'll find in Arizona. But one major limitation of Chicago is that if you drive two hours north, west, east or south, you will be in a field of corn. Most states are like that. Whereas if you drive two hours north of Phoenix, you're in a ponderosa pine forest adjacent to snow-capped mountains instead of in a lowland desert.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,660 times
Tons of places to eat, most areas have good schools and well kept yards; on the other hand, crime is unacceptable.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 AM

172 posts, read 423,193 times
"..stucco & tile roof and seeing huge swaths of land covered in total conformity" True that.

Overall good viewpoints, yet no one spoke to Phoenix's glorious air quality. The Valley of the Sun is an especially beneficial environment for young children's developing lungs/immune system. For the coup de grace try LA next - or go for the gold, Mexico City. "Honey, have you seen my albuterol inhaler?"

Great place to be a dermatologist too! "Freeze-off another one.."

Last edited by bongofury; 11-03-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Not sure what you're intending to accomplish...after all, the poster does make some good points. First off, Phoenix may not be known as being "artsy," but Scottsdale certainly is, and downtown Phoenix is becoming another center of independent art.

Second, most states do not have the scenery of Arizona. I love Chicago - and I absolutely agree its architecture is far, far better than anything you'll find in Arizona. But one major limitation of Chicago is that if you drive two hours north, west, east or south, you will be in a field of corn. Most states are like that. Whereas if you drive two hours north of Phoenix, you're in a ponderosa pine forest adjacent to snow-capped mountains instead of in a lowland desert.
Scottsdale is NOT artsy... its a bunch of high end shopping malls. Then again, if your definition of art is a $1200 dollar pair of sandals, then OK, I understand where you are coming from. Otherwise there is that small pocket of downtown that consists of overpriced native american jewelery, and other watered down and tacky "southwestern" souvenirs.

No one said that AZ doesn't have scenery, I'm speaking of Phx in particular and what its like as a city, and not the "getaways" of the state that require weekend trips, hotel stays, IE getting "OUT of town".

Last edited by cmist; 11-03-2009 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM

25 posts, read 49,918 times
How sad. Someone starts a thread talking about the wonderful characteristics of the area where--one assumes--they live. Instead of other posts of favorite things to do and see in the same area, readers are treated to a barrage of negatives and insults to the OP's opinions and tastes. Shame on you. There are plenty of things wrong with anyplace on this planet--if that's what you look for. The flip side of that coin is stamped with all that's wonderful with anyplace on this planet--if you're willing to look for it. I don't believe anything/place/one is "perfect", and if such were so, I think I'd feel rather inferior by comparison. Give me the flaws to balance the fabulous and I'll be just fine with that. Thank you, fortunare, for a rare and pleasant read. Wishing for you all a fabulously flawed day. ;-)

Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM

I don't think that because I point out the "flaws" as opposed to the "fabulous" means that I am some naive soul that believes that somewhere else is "perfect". I'm full aware that every place has its pros & cons. If you are coming here, you need to realize the TRUE pros and not made up fluff. If the REAL pros are what make you tick then you will like it here. People can read other posts to see the pros, I'm merely correcting what I found to be inaccurate or exaggerations.

Furthermore, I don't think its negative to point out that Phoenix is NOT known for superior architecture & being a mecca for the arts and fine dining. Thats just the plain old truth and if that's what you are expecting from it, you are going to be let down with an audible THUMP!

I think I felt the need to write in when I read that it wasn't hit that hard in the real estate department!! Thats ludicrous, the truth is not many other places fared WORSE than us in that department. Does it occur to anyone that there are reasons that it happened here? Something is out of whack about this city, and the real estate market proves it.

The point of the forum is to see both sides of the proverbial coin that you brought up, and I'm only taking off the "rose colored" glasses, so someone that doesn't know any better can see the other side that exists whether you like it or not.

Last edited by cmist; 11-03-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,879,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I don't think that because I point out the "flaws" as opposed to the "fabulous" means that I am some naive soul that believes that somewhere else is "perfect". I'm full aware that every place has its pros & cons. If you are coming here, you need to realize the TRUE pros and not made up fluff. If the REAL pros are what make you tick then you will like it here. People can read other posts to see the pros, I'm merely correcting what I found to be inaccurate or exaggerations.

Furthermore, I don't think its negative to point out that Phoenix is NOT known for superior architecture & being a mecca for the arts and fine dining. Thats just the plain old truth and if that's what you are expecting from it, you are going to be let down with an audible THUMP!

I think I felt the need to write in when I read that it wasn't hit that hard in the real estate department!! Thats ludicrous, the truth is not many other places fared WORSE than us in that department. Does it occur to anyone that there are reasons that it happened here? Something is out of whack about this city, and the real estate market proves it.

The point of the forum is to see both sides of the proverbial coin that you brought up, and I'm only taking off the "rose colored" glasses, so someone that doesn't know any better can see the other side that exists whether you like it or not.
The people came, now that the ball has dropped there are disenchanted because the original fantasy did not play out for them...now someone has to (maybe come here) and pick up the ball to help things get moving once again....so life goes on and hopefully more carefully than before...if everyone leaves and no one comes, who will be left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area