Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 24,398 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husbands job is relocating us to Scottsdale in 8 weeks and neither of us has ever been there. His office will be on N Scottsdale Rd
in the 85254 zip code area and we would like to live relatively close to there. I am a stay at home mom to a 3 year old and a 4 month old, so it is important that the area we live in has lots to do with the kids, shops within walking distance and other young families around. We are going to rent since we will only be out there for about 2 1/2 years. Ideally we would like to have 3 br/2 baths and a family/rec room in addition to a living room for about 1800 a month. We are both from the East Coast so an area with an urban/downtown vibe would be a bonus.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
You won't get a strong urban/downtown vibe anywhere in that zip code, but it's a very nice area. There are lots of nice neighborhoods, good to great shopping, including walkable shopping areas like Kierland Commons. I'm sure there are a lot of realtors familiar with the area who could help you with a rental in that price range. It will feel very different from the East Coast, though.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:12 AM

31 posts, read 88,931 times
I just moved to 85254 from NJ (just outside of philly). I'm real happy with the apt complex i'm at and you can definitely get 3 br 2 baths for 1000 with a living room and dining room. I live right off N. Scottsdale Road. Been here only 3 weeks though. The place is Scottsdale Meadows and you can find it has pretty good ratings online.

Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:22 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
The 85254 zip and the areas around it are pretty far north in the suburban part of town. It is a great neighborhood with many nice rental homes in your price range. Homes with nice yards, quiet streets and maybe even a pool. DM me and I will send you a few examples.

You will enjoy Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter for shopping, dining, etc. Or you can take a ride into downtown Scottsdale for dining, and entertainment.

Unfortunately, urban and Arizona do not really go together except for some small areas near dowtown Phoenix or downtown Scottsdale. Why not just adapt to your new surroundings? We don't walk to the store, but we do go hiking in the mountains. We don't take public transportation but we go 4 wheeling. Most of the grass we cut is done with a 5 iron.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:59 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
Also be aware that "walking distance" when it is 115' outside is a lot more limited than when it is 75'.

The closest to a psuedo-suburban-take-on-urban-walk-to-stuff you will find in this area would be the areas around Kierland, Desert Ridge or around the intersection of Shea and Scottsdale (the apartment complex linked in the earlier post is in this area), maybe around Paradise Valley Mall. I can walk to a lot of stuff from where I live. I have Whole Foods and a shopping plaza with a movie theater across the street. Another large plaza with Trader Joes and more stores about a mile away. Then Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter. Mayo Clinic just 2 miles down the street. Resorts nearby. I live just a bit north of Kierland.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 24,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Also be aware that walking distance when it is 115' outside is a lot more limited than when it is 75'.
Good point. Thank you very much for the information everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area