Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,576,280 times

Advertisements

Is there alot of drop in the population the past couple years in Phoenix due to unemployment or illegals leaving by droves? I tried to find some good article on this, but am not hitting the right one I guess.
Has anyone read anything in the media about the future projections of the population drop in Phoenix for the next couple to ten years, say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Illegals aren't counted in the population tally.

Nevertheless I would not mind a drop in the number of people living here, it sure would make traffic commutes easier and maybe the summertime temperatures would come down a little bit too.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,614,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

Nevertheless I would not mind a drop in the number of people living here, it sure would make traffic commutes easier and maybe the summertime temperatures would come down a little bit too.
Nope, by all accounts Phoenix is still growing.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,752,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The census counts people living in the US, regardless of status. There are no questions related to immigration status or citizenship on the form. That is the theory, anyway. In practice, illegal immigrants tend to avoid the census.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM

824 posts, read 2,338,422 times
Quote:
"The census counts people living in the US, regardless of status. There are no questions related to immigration status or citizenship on the form. That is the theory, anyway. In practice, illegal immigrants tend to avoid the census."
Correct on all counts. It really is a count of warm bodies, regardless of circumstance. I dutifully filled out my form in time, and still got a visit from the census types, inquiring about some now vacant houses nearby. I gave them my best guesses as to April 1st occupancy, and asked them not to return to my door. It is a legitimate government function, but I figured that I earned immunity from being bothered by sending the form in. Oh, well.

As for the Phoenix area, significant growth since the last census is a given, but it certainly has tapered off during this economic contraction. They did some mid-decade estimates, and it will be interesting to compare those to 2010.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Correct on all counts. It really is a count of warm bodies, regardless of circumstance. I dutifully filled out my form in time, and still got a visit from the census types, inquiring about some now vacant houses nearby. I gave them my best guesses as to April 1st occupancy, and asked them not to return to my door. It is a legitimate government function, but I figured that I earned immunity from being bothered by sending the form in. Oh, well.

As for the Phoenix area, significant growth since the last census is a given, but it certainly has tapered off during this economic contraction. They did some mid-decade estimates, and it will be interesting to compare those to 2010.
You were probably the only one home at the time in the immediate area of those homes. Nice of you to help-- it is a legitimate government function, and they are just trying to do their jobs.

I don't think there's official data on population kept by anyone that would show what the population is now compared to, say, 18 months ago or so. I don't think the census will show a drop.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,752,942 times
I got a visit too. We got 2 census forms, one for our house and one for our guest house. I dutifully filled out both, noting that the guest house had 0 residents. I had a nice lady come to our house and ask if she could get in "the back". I explained the situation to her and she went on her way. I am not sure how the Census Bureau knew that we had a guest house. It was built by the previous owners and I seriously doubt that they ever reported anyone living in it.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 PM

123 posts, read 354,671 times
The population is still growing in Arizona due to droves of people moving from the midwest and the east coast.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
A recent Forbes article and I wish I had kept the article showed that the Phoenix area was still growing and is in the top 5 for economic growth and job growth. Imagine that.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,139 times
Im actually working for the census right now and yes, they do count everyone, illegalls and even foreign exchange students here for just a couple months.
Ive done several interviews in Spanish-don't know if they were legal or not, but they didn't hide from me or anything, if anything they were really cool about it.
So far I've had one door slammed in my face...lol..by an American lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area