Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,626 times

Advertisements

I just read the last twenty or so posts in this thread. It seems as if I look at my part time hobby extremely different than some. To me it is more like art, not about right or wrong. Some people enjoy the paintings of Claude Monet and some people enjoy paintings of dogs playing poker on black velvet. Are either incorrect? Not in my book. I see, in a Monet series, where he was capturing the same subject under differing light. Awesome work. And I also can clearly see that one dog slipping the ace of spades under the table to that other dog. Clever. Both are correct in my book. And speaking of aces of spades, some people like classical music and some people like Motorhead (RIP Lemmy). There is no right or wrong there either.
If this hobby ever becomes a matter of right or wrong to me I will just stop. I get enough 'right and wrong' at work. Of course all this is easy for me to say, I have never even come close to winning any contest!

But with 100% confidence I can say this. There are some members on here with some darn mad skills. Big time. I enjoy viewing these contests every month. Thank you moderator for hosting them, it is appreciated. And thanks to those who enter, at the very least they give me ideas. More often than not I am very impressed with the 'rightness and wrongness' of the entries.
Here is to another great year of photo contests!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 AM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Jak,

Glad you did. You do nice work.
now it is your turn , very nice shot

Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Jak, Thanks

I think you set the bar for many of us. I know you have for me.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
It seems as if I look at my part time hobby extremely different than some.

If this hobby ever becomes a matter of right or wrong to me I will just stop.

But with 100% confidence I can say this. There are some members on here with some darn mad skills.
Bulldawgfan:

Thanks for the post!

Photography has been a hobby for me for many years. Just a few short professional stints.

I was toying with different ideas. I'm not sure of what people would go for in the contests. Maybe just one contest? Relax some of the rules, like any picture you have taken rather than the last 30 days. Etc...

Ideas appreciated.

Rich

Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
Poncho,

For what it's worth, personally I like the last 30 days requirement because it makes me get out there with an objective in mind.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:36 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Bulldawgfan:

Thanks for the post!

Photography has been a hobby for me for many years. Just a few short professional stints.

I was toying with different ideas. I'm not sure of what people would go for in the contests. Maybe just one contest? Relax some of the rules, like any picture you have taken rather than the last 30 days. Etc...

Ideas appreciated.

Rich
Keep the theme contest 30 day rule and do away with the rule for best shot?

Old 01-10-2016, 07:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Having a hard time linking photos throughout the CD forum because I use Google's Photos and the link Google provides doesn't include a .jpg, .png, etc. extensions. Here's a Google link to the "ghostly" photo I just submitted to the contest: https://goo.gl/photos/V7zMrgbJByVGftJG8.

My Fujifilm digital camera images are larger than 4000x3000 so I have to resize the images before I can upload the image as an attachment. Also for the "ghostly" image I attached today, I had to make it even smaller than the normal 4000x3000 size in order to upload it because the file size was too large when I tried to upload it.

Is there anyway I could use html coding to get the image link from Google Photos to work on the forum?
[img src=https://goo.gl/photos/V7zMrgbJByVGftJG8] doesn't work

Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM

This is the proper format, a valid URL surrounded by [img] and [/img]

An image which is 800 pixels wide would fit nicely

[img]valid url/dscf0097.jpg[/img]

PHOTOS AND PICTURES: Inserting in posts, various write-ups which seem to have helped or made sense for many people:

My photos not appearing in post
PHOTOS AND PICTURES: ...inserting in posts
Add pictures in Album.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-10-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Poncho,

For what it's worth, personally I like the last 30 days requirement because it makes me get out there with an objective in mind.
Yes, That was the general idea...

I'm still thinking...

Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Ok thanks Poncho. I'll look for another free photo hosting site, one that provides a link which includes a graphic file extension. I looked at the source code on Google photos and there is so much code it is impossible to tell what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests