Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been playing with my new camera (Cannon rebel) for a month or so now. I'd like your help. For one, my pics seem grainy. I keep the ISO low and adjust the shutter when necessary. I've been using the histograms on my camera as a guide. Beyond being able to get crisp pics, is there a way to improve the color? Also, I'd like to learn how to capture an interesting pov. So, here are some shots. I don't have many interesting pics to post. They look fine in the view finder, but then when I load them, I don't like them. I shoot in LG, which I believe is for jpeg. I'm sure there is a raw function, but I figure that's supposed to be used for photo-editing. Thanks in advance!

Calling all experts for your CC please-dogwalk3.jpg

Calling all experts for your CC please-aquaduct.jpg

Calling all experts for your CC please-dogwalk2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,953,004 times
I'm not really seeing any noise, at least not at these sizes. Maybe you're just looking for sharper images? If so, there are many other factors to consider - your lens quality, sharpening, etc.

It's true RAW is really only beneficial if you're post processing/editing but I think a lot of what you're looking to improve is best done in post processing. You can play with your cameras settings to boost color, contrast, etc but your best off looking in your camera manual for how to do that since it will be different for every model. But keep in mind that adjusting these settings in camera rather than in post processing means giving up some control over the end result.

As for POV, just play around and experiment - get down low, get up high, etc. It really depends on the subject and situation so you just have to get creative and try different angles.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,841,250 times
On my Canon (not a Rebel), LG is a size, and everything is shot in JPEG unless I were to choose RAW.

It looks to me like your White Balance may be off as the greens look more bluish to me. If you're not familiar with White Balance, may I suggest that you did out your manual and read how to set it. Some people leave it on Auto all the time, but that usually doesn't give you the best colors.

As far as learning to capture and interesting POV, I recommend reading (library, bookstore, etc.) a basic book on composition to learn about the rule of thirds, depth of field, leading lines and so on.

A few suggestions might be:

1. Fill the frame
2. Keep it simple and make sure your viewers know what the intended subject is.
3. Using leading lines where possible to draw us into your photo
4. If you're showing movement, have people, vehicles, etc. moving into the frame, not close to the edge or about to leave it.
5. Early morning and late afternoon light is wonderful.
6. When shooting people or animals, make sure the eyes are in focus.

Some experiments you might want to try (since digital requires no processing) is to try different metering methods (matrix, center, spot, for example) and different white balance settings to see what you get. You can check your manual to find where the right buttons are. I learned a lot by doing this and now have a better idea of how to get the shots I want.

Finally, the more you practice, the better you will develop your photographic/artistic eye for what makes a good photo and pleases you.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not really seeing any noise, at least not at these sizes. Maybe you're just looking for sharper images? If so, there are many other factors to consider - your lens quality, sharpening, etc.
I'm using the lens that came with the camera. You are correct and it did not dawn on me. Such a noob! Is there a general recommendation for a next step lens that isn't too costly?

Quote:
But keep in mind that adjusting these settings in camera rather than in post processing means giving up some control over the end result.
Ok, thanks for that advice.

Quote:
As for POV, just play around and experiment - get down low, get up high, etc. It really depends on the subject and situation so you just have to get creative and try different angles.
Yea, I have been crawling around on the ground or stepping up high for shots. Again, they'll look ok in the view finder and then like crap when I load them. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
It looks to me like your White Balance may be off as the greens look more bluish to me.
Yes, something is up with the color.

Quote:
If you're not familiar with White Balance, may I suggest that you did out your manual and read how to set it. Some people leave it on Auto all the time, but that usually doesn't give you the best colors.
Last time I saw it, it was under the couch lol. I did read the whole damn thing, but my memory isn't so hot. My camera has various pics for white balance (day, cloudy, etc). I probably forget all about it most of the time. I'll keep it in mind. Good tip.

Quote:
As far as learning to capture and interesting POV, I recommend reading (library, bookstore, etc.) a basic book on composition to learn about the rule of thirds, depth of field, leading lines and so on.

A few suggestions might be:

1. Fill the frame
2. Keep it simple and make sure your viewers know what the intended subject is.
3. Using leading lines where possible to draw us into your photo
4. If you're showing movement, have people, vehicles, etc. moving into the frame, not close to the edge or about to leave it.
5. Early morning and late afternoon light is wonderful.
6. When shooting people or animals, make sure the eyes are in focus.
Great advice. Yea, it looks weird to have a subject (typically my dog) leaving the frame. I'm aware of rule of thirds. I'm guessing the leading line is a matter of directing the viewer through the shot?

The pics of my dog certainly look better when her eyes are what's in focus. Often, I'm not quick enough.

Quote:
Some experiments you might want to try (since digital requires no processing) is to try different metering methods (matrix, center, spot, for example) and different white balance settings to see what you get. You can check your manual to find where the right buttons are. I learned a lot by doing this and now have a better idea of how to get the shots I want.

Finally, the more you practice, the better you will develop your photographic/artistic eye for what makes a good photo and pleases you.
I'll have to google or read my manual to remind myself what the matrix, center, spot, etc is and how it affects the pic.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,953,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm using the lens that came with the camera. You are correct and it did not dawn on me. Such a noob! Is there a general recommendation for a next step lens that isn't too costly?
It really depends on what you're shooting and what you consider "too costly". For many, the next step lens is a 50mm - they tend to be sharp and inexpensive. But as a fixed focal length lens, they are limiting and mostly recommended for portraits. In general, fixed focal length lenses tend to be less expensive for the sharpness you get but the drawback is of course the lack of zoom. With zoom lenses, you tend to get what you pay for - the sharper the lens is, the more expensive it will be.

That said, the kit lens isn't too bad, you can make do with it for now. Like I said, it sounds like most of the stuff you're looking to improve would be best improved in post processing so I would suggest your next step should be to get some editing software and start learning to edit.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,922,386 times
Lens quality is huge. If you stepped up the quality of lens, you will see a big difference. Of course there are other factors, but put a good quality lens on as a base, and you can do so much more from there. BTW...I like the grass pic.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It really depends on what you're shooting and what you consider "too costly". For many, the next step lens is a 50mm - they tend to be sharp and inexpensive. But as a fixed focal length lens, they are limiting and mostly recommended for portraits. In general, fixed focal length lenses tend to be less expensive for the sharpness you get but the drawback is of course the lack of zoom. With zoom lenses, you tend to get what you pay for - the sharper the lens is, the more expensive it will be.

That said, the kit lens isn't too bad, you can make do with it for now. Like I said, it sounds like most of the stuff you're looking to improve would be best improved in post processing so I would suggest your next step should be to get some editing software and start learning to edit.
My cousin is getting married at the end of the month. I'm hoping to to use the wedding as an opportunity to get experience with portrait photography (providing I don't get in the photographer's way). Maybe I can pick his/her brain while I'm there. Somebody at work sent me a couple of links to pick up reasonably priced equipment. I'm going to look into that this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Lens quality is huge. If you stepped up the quality of lens, you will see a big difference. Of course there are other factors, but put a good quality lens on as a base, and you can do so much more from there. BTW...I like the grass pic.
Thanks, I like it too. I have elements, so maybe I can pull it up and make it a bit less blue and more green. I'm excited to get a new lens.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 PM

8,230 posts, read 16,767,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I would say that you are just beginning a journey along which you will learn many things as both your skills and equipment improve.

As a next purchase I second the recommendation of buying a prime - the 50mm comes in 3 price points and all take nice pictures. After that it really depends on what you want to shoot or enjoy shooting most. I started with the 50mm 1.4 which is so sharp it beats many L zooms. Recently I picked up the Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro which is super sharp, plus it does macro which I am having a blast with. Primes are not only sharp but allow for more light to enter your camera. They are typically brighter than most zooms. They allow for wider range of depth of field.

Next start learning about Exposure. A good first step is to start using Aperture Priority controlling your depth of field. Then when you feel comfortable with that try manual mode. You can use the camera's internal meter as a guide which shows up through the viewfinder. The key is to not rely on the camera to guess the exposure for you but rather tell the camera what you want to achieve. I taught my 8 y/o son to shoot in manual mode on his little Canon p&s and his images are much improved now. Remember its digital. So you get instant feedback. In other words, take a test shot to check your exposure. Look at it, then adjust up/down accordingly. A good book I highly recommend is Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)….

I also agree about learning Post Processing or working in the digital dark room. It makes a huge difference. One photo can be made or broken depending on the processing or lack thereof. One example of this was my image which won photo of the year for 2009 on CD. I could have never just taken the picture in jpg. Rather I shot in RAW and performed a number of adjustments and refinements. Something else to realize is that there are certain scenes which simply have too much dynamic range for current sensors to capture. So you need to perform a digital blend. This means taking 2 or more images and combining them. For example shoot one for the sky and one for the land. The common example noob example of this is blown out skies with correctly exposed foregrounds.

Lastly experiment and discover the power of Composition. Here is another good book I recommend on composition by the same author: Amazon.com: Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography (Updated Edition) (9780817441814):….

Just be patient with yourself and your gear. This is a process which doesn't happen overnight. The more you put into it the more you'll get out. Remember it is never just about the gear. Exposure, composition, creativity, golden hour light, f8 and be there (when conditions are prime like peak wildflower bloom, Fall colors, etc...), post processing and many other factors go into making a good photo. Although quality glass does really make a significant contribution as well.

I hope that helps some.

Derek

Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Derek, fantastic post. Thank you. I will digest it slowly!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,499,736 times
lighting is very important.. those bright sunny days can leave your photos looking lifeless,washed out and ordinary...

the best lighting aside from the golden hours are the days you wouldnt even go out to shoot most likly. those dreary,look like rain ,foggy skies are like giant diffusers and provide great light for colors and eye catching photos..just shoot objects or buildings but keep those awful skies out of the photo.

see our thread i poosted on the point and shoot in cold spring...folks are amazed at the results i get from a cheap point and shoot and want to know all the time what camera it is.... the answere is almost any current point and shoot will give similiar results if you know how to use it.

dont worry so much as to what your camera and lenses are , concentrate more on your skills and working with lighting...even the cheapest point and shoots will amaze you and most dslr's are even better.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-14-2010 at 03:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography