Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to supplement my day-to-day cameras with a small point and shoot (not an 18x or higher ultrazoom, I have those) mostly for macro photography. It must be at least 12MP, have a macro mode and above all else it must have a viewfinder. I know most point and shoots don't have viewfinders but it's a deal breaker for me. This is an eyesight issue for me so I really don't need to hear about LCD screen improvements/sizes. I need the viewfinder. Are the viewfinders adjustable (diopter) on point and shoots that do have them? Optical zoom number doesn't matter. Can anyone please suggest a camera I could check out? I don't do video so if it stinks on video, that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Check out the Canon G11. Not only does it have an Optical Viewfinder, it also has a larger sensor which typically produces cleaner images, especially in lower light, higher ISO situations. I would look at this line and its competition including the slightly older G10. I think that is the type of p&s you are after.

Canon PowerShot G11 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Keep in mind MP count is really not the main thing to look at in these little P&S cameras. Most have very small sensors and high MP counts which equals noisey images. It is more of a marketing gimmick to cram more MPs into these smaller sensors. Just look at cell phones, same thing. Also notice that the Canon G11 actually went down in MP count from the G10. That wasn't an accident rather a strategic design decision in spite of what most consumers look for. But the G10 is still a nice little camera as well.

Derek

Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i would take the canon s90 over the g11...having the canon sd880 i have to agree with ole ken on this one....... i just may get marilyn this for her birthday so she leaves me alone when we take just sd880 now and fight over it.......

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would take the canon s90 over the g11
Yeah, its a nice little pocket camera which actually goes to f2 like my old G1. Unfortunately it does not have an Viewfinder, only an LCD.

Derek

Old 06-15-2010, 01:32 PM

I myself wouldnt want a viewfinder...the fun of these little guys are the angles and spots you can get them in and still see the lcd....

i love twisting and turning them into all different positions. compared to our dslr's thats the whole fun of them. .the viewfinder kills that....

Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
I myself wouldnt want a viewfinder...the fun of these little guys are the angles and spots you can get them in and still see the lcd....

i love twisting and turning them into all different positions. compared to our dslr's thats the whole fun of them. .the viewfinder kills that....
Well the OP has explained why she needs one so it's a moot point. I also recommend the G11 or one of it's predecessors, it's well known as a P&S targeted at hobbyists with good image quality and lots of more advanced features you don't normally find on a P&S, such as the hot shoe. And the optical viewfinder looks bigger than on most compact cameras which are so tiny they are virtually impossible to look through.

I also second MntSurfer's thoughts on MPs... there's a reason the G line went from 15mp to 10mp.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Check out the Canon G11. Not only does it have an Optical Viewfinder, it also has a larger sensor which typically produces cleaner images, especially in lower light, higher ISO situations. I would look at this line and its competition including the slightly older G10. I think that is the type of p&s you are after.

Canon PowerShot G11 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Keep in mind MP count is really not the main thing to look at in these little P&S cameras. Most have very small sensors and high MP counts which equals noisey images. It is more of a marketing gimmick to cram more MPs into these smaller sensors. Just look at cell phones, same thing. Also notice that the Canon G11 actually went down in MP count from the G10. That wasn't an accident rather a strategic design decision in spite of what most consumers look for. But the G10 is still a nice little camera as well.

Derek
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As I mentioned, I need a viewfinder because of my eyesight issues. It has nothing to do with glare or being able to manipulate the LCD screen.

I will check out both. I do a lot of cropping to resize, even with my ultrazooms, so MPs count for me. My ultrazooms actually serve the macro purpose except I also want a camera that can fit in my pocket or the glove compartment so I don't have to plan photo outings. The camera, just because it's small, is always there if an opportunity presents itself.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:

My D90 has both, though I've never used the Live view.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM

Me too...its just to inconvienient... I have IT on my d300

Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
My D90 has both, though I've never used the Live view.
Thats funny, my 5DII I has a nice LCD which even has LiveView mode. But I still prefer the viewfinder. I guess everyone has their preferences.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography