Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 AM

4,443 posts, read 4,878,432 times

Advertisements

Well being an activist along with my passion for photography has put me into situations of not only the possibility of getting arrested during Occupy and other protest but also the possibility of getting slammed into the pavement while having a couple of cameras and L lenses dangle from my Black Rapid harness during such arrests.

On the steps of the Supreme Court

SOAW March/Rally Capital Hill

You have to learn to sense when the police are moving in and step back to a safer location

Last edited by ted08721; 10-08-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 AM

4,443 posts, read 4,878,432 times
There is always the chance of getting hit by a car stepping off the curb to get a better shot, I have come close on several occasions.

Rally for the Sisters outside the bishops headquarters in D.C.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 AM

37,813 posts, read 41,113,416 times
When I feed and photograph the birds at a non-residential location, I have to climb up a little incline (slippery after it rains) and I'm always afraid of falling on poison ivy and having field mice jump on me and give me Hanta virus while a cute groundhog claws me and crows peck my eyes out because I'm old now and I can't get up and don't have one of those Life Alert buttons to push.

I'm thinking if that's my level of "photography danger" I should change to photographing gangs or something safer like that.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 PM

44,402 posts, read 20,136,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Truly amazing and beautiful shots! But I wouldn't risk my life for a photo. I'll keep a safe distance, thank you!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM

24,781 posts, read 28,596,497 times
When I worked at the Space Center in Florida I had access too both manned and unmanned vehicles. STS 134 preparing for flight. No fuel in the big orange tank.. but all the reactant and cutter charges are in place... No one is allowed with in 3 miles when fueling the large orange external tank. Just know your surroundings and what you can and can't do.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,596,800 times
I got into a verbal altercation with a testy event photographer at a running event my wife was participating.
I was camped out at the finish line where the finish banner and time clock would be in the frame. Having nothing better to do I was snapping other runners as they crossed the finish line; wide angle, facial expressions, etc. Apparently she was imtimidated by my presence and my D40X and after viewing the photos they were selling on the website I understand why.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,760,969 times
Once, many many years ago, I bravely took 3 photos of my own wife, before she had the chance to apply her makeup. It was dangerous, but I was much younger then, extremely foolish, and willing to take the risk. Afterwards, for a while, it appeared that I would spend the rest of the summer in the doghouse with the guys, but eventually she forgave me, after two unscheduled trips to Macy's.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM

24,781 posts, read 28,596,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by for short View Post
Once, many many years ago, I bravely took 3 photos of my own wife, before she had the chance to apply her makeup. It was dangerous, but I was much younger then, extremely foolish, and willing to take the risk. Afterwards, for a while, it appeared that I would spend the rest of the summer in the doghouse with the guys, but eventually she forgave me, after two unscheduled trips to Macy's.
When you mention dog house did the word neutering come up in the conversation...

Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 AM

16,157 posts, read 10,844,061 times
I have managed to fall off three cliffs while trying to get that perfect shot. I was airborne only once and then only for a few feet. It was mostly tumbling and grabbing trees or rocks. I recall where they took place. One time I landed on my camera -- not good. It was almost always because the footing gave way due to unstable leaf clutter or loose rocks. Now a desert-dweller in my 70s, I stop short of the edge. I no longer bounce like I used to and the ground isn.t as soft. These memories came back to me this past winter when I was climbing, ledge by ledge, up a desert mesa. That was my last (most recent) risky photo adventure. I had the good sense to take the long way down.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:13 PM

37,813 posts, read 41,113,416 times
Don't take risks on purpose but I love the shots that I'm not expecting that appear to be risky.

My favorite (a bird outing): It was January 2014. I was sitting in my car, facing the lake so I could take photographs of seasonal ring billed seagulls flying toward me from the water (my photo specialty) when all of a sudden behind me in the parking lot, I hear a voice yell, "GET OUT OF THE CAR NOW!" I couldn't see anyone in my rear view mirror so I opened the driver's side door, leaned out and looked behind me. At the far end of the parking lot near the road and away from the lake itself was a County Sheriff with his gun drawn, his Sheriff's car and a police dog straining on a leash. I could not see the person he was aiming at because of all of the cars in the parking lot between me and the perp, whoever it was. Luckily for me, I had a 300mm telephoto lens on the camera for the seagulls so I continued to hang halfway out of the car with my back turned 180 degrees and photographed the Sheriff in his shooting position and his dog. Pretty soon a member of the local police arrived in his car. I never saw the person who was being pursued or how the whole thing turned out because half hanging out of my car, twisted like a pretzel was too painful/uncomfortable for a woman my age. Not bad for a planned day of seagull photography.

Now that I think of it, the risk may have been to my back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography