Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 AM

107,129 posts, read 109,499,736 times

Advertisements

true.... but i have owned so many sony products in my life to see there trend..... they never make it to the level in most of their products where you can actually count on their support for much..

they rarely have any experts at much when you call customer service....

turn around for repairs is brutal and support on older products goes the wayside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,932,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
true.... but i have owned so many sony products in my life to see there trend..... they never make it to the level in most of their products where you can actually count on their support for much..
How long has it been since you had anything to do with their support?

they rarely have any experts at much when you call customer service....
How often do you have to contact Support? I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to call a Customer Support service. The last one was Sony and they were excellent when I talked to them.

{quote]turn around for repairs is brutal and support on older products goes the wayside[/quote]
Can't say about this, I have never had one of their products need repair.

You don't like Sony products that is very, very clear to see. To stretch that into how any of their products are not designed or viable for a professional market is simply wrong though. When I was researching which camera body to purchase I called their support line and had every single question I had answered by a VERY knowledgeable service tech. Does it happen every single time? I really don't know, but I doubt I got through to the only person in the department that knew anything.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM

I had issues with sonys software for their music players which proved to me just how clueless they were about that product.

we had a problem with my daughters camera..that resulted in a call to customer service and a repair,.....

its not that i dont like sony products, they have decent products its just when a company is sooooo broadbased in their focus i call it di-worsification....

they are players in all the markets they are in but never make it to best of breed nor do i think thats their goal.

its like ge is a huge company..they dabble in everything but they are not best of breed in most of the areas.. they are happy making a decent middle of the road refrigerator, a middle of the road tv, a middle of the road toaster..

never the best but okay, and they made alot of money just being middle of the road.

sonys support is geared more for the consumer who cant find a switch on the camera, or is doing some thing wrong and its on the flow chart of the customer rep.... once the questions get technical, or about technique or lighting control its off the chart and they cant help you well.

they dont offer enough product breadth for the pro, nor will they most likely.....

dont mis-understand me , i think they make decent cameras but they really cant hold a candle to the big 2 for the pro market .

Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,932,812 times
Yep, Sony is so middle of the road that is why Nikon uses their sensors for their products, along with Canon, Olympus, etc.... Give me a break.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM

because they are great inventors.... i said they make good cameras.. they just dont know how to go to market or choose not to go to market with support beyond a certain level..

they are happy capturing that middle of the road consumer market. if they can drag a few pros over even better for them but its not their focus or infrastructure to go after that market.

to be honest i think its a waste of their money to try to take on the big two in that area....

Old 07-15-2010, 12:33 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,378,299 times
Quote:
because they are great inventors.... i said they make good cameras.. they just dont know how to go to market or choose not to go to market with support beyond a certain level..

they are happy capturing that middle of the road consumer market. if they can drag a few pros over even better for them but its not their focus or infrastructure to go after that market.

to be honest i think its a waste of their money to try to take on the big two in that area....
You seemed to have missed an earlier post of mine, they are going after the pro market too, that's right from the mouth of the CEO of the camera department, but they're waiting until it's the right time, with the right product and the right support.

Being smart enough to realize it's better to release something right instead of fast, doesn't mean they won't do it, it means they know how to run a business.

And for the record, in the consumer television (I'm excluding the $15.000 brands, simply because there's hardly anyone in the segment and the rewards of them compared to what 99.8% of the population buy is limited) they're actually in the higher tier. Yes, they make low and middle segment televisions too, but their screens are amongst the best in the business, which I suppose is why Samsung use a lot of their hardware.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM

sony is one of the best in tv's...... no question......

their music players, computers, games,car stereos, are nothing great , right in their with most of the pack

...i noticed just by talking to them as it stands now they lacked the infrustructure....... my gut tells me though they wont make the attempt into the market... my opinion is the ceo is saying it because its good for business but i dont think the time will ever be right and i dont feel they will make the commitment and dollars ...... its just to tough to combat nikon and canon and to have the breadth of product line and with their losses of billions the last couple of years i just dont see it. . time will tell

http://www.photoxels.com/sony-not-ready-for-pro-market/

Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
sony is one of the best in tv's...... no question......

their music players, computers, games,car stereos, are nothing great , right in their with most of the pack

...i noticed just by talking to them as it stands now they lacked the infrustructure....... my gut tells me though they wont make the attempt into the market... my opinion is the ceo is saying it because its good for business but i dont think the time will ever be right and i dont feel they will make the commitment and dollars ...... its just to tough to combat nikon and canon and to have the breadth of product line and with their losses of billions the last couple of years i just dont see it. . time will tell
Actually their computers are considered top tier too, but expensive (and rightly so, they are overpriced), the PS3 is just as good, if not better than any gaming machine, but it's relatively hard to compare such a thing, because they operate with different ideas of what they're trying to make.

On car stereos I agree, they're not terribly good.

But I do not agree that they're a middle of the road company, and especially since their last cutbacks and streamlinings, they've improved a lot.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 PM

but the fact is their own ceo reiterated exactly what i said, they are geared for the middle of the road consumer in cameras ......thats their market place right now.... my feeling is it will take such a huge an investment of capital to go pro that quite frankley they ultimately wont cough up, they lost so many billions. ......

i cant imagine most existing pros changing over so their hope would be to snare the new photographer,lock him in with lenses and accessories and hope if they stick with it when they go pro they will retain them....

Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Time will tell who's right I suppose.

I said about two years ago that Sony would go pro and have at least 30% market share within 10 years, so 2018 would be the year to prove me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography