Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,735,536 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be helpful and fun to have a place where people can post information about photo contests they come across. Many times these contests are local/regional and appear in newspapers that don't have wide reach, yet they are open to a wider audience of hobby photographers. It's a great way for amateurs to hone their skills and be tested, and keeps us on the lookout for subjects.

If you learn of a photo contest, try to remember to share it with others here.

Check the larger newspapers in your areas, photography publications, camera manufacturer's websites, museums, state tourism sites, others you may think of.

I'll list the one I came across in the next post.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 AM

Default Photo contest open to anyone, not just residents

I was especially pleased to find a contest open to youth - two classes: one under 12 years, one 13-17. What an encouragement to young budding photographers!

Wildlife in North Carolina Photo Competition

what to enter
Photos will be judged in 10 categories:
• Birds
• Mammals
• Reptiles and Amphibians
• Invertebrates
• Wild Landscapes: The peaks, valleys, plains and beaches of North Carolina.
• Wild Plants: Wild-growing plants only, including their flowers, leaves, fruits and other parts. Absolutely no cultivated plants will be accepted. Mushrooms and other fungi should be entered in this category.
• Outdoor Recreation: Show how people interact with North Carolina’s natural world through activities that are inextricably linked to nature, such as hunting, fishing, hiking, rock climbing or canoeing.
• Animal Behavior: Anything animals do, from everyday activities to interactions with other animals to unusual behavior.
• Youth Photographer, 13–17: Any of the above subjects, shot by photographers under 18.
• Youth Photographer, 12 and under: Any of the above subjects, shot by children 12 and younger.
Photographs must have been taken in North Carolina no earlier than Sept. 15 2005.
You must declare on your entry form if your photograph is of an animal in captivity, such as at a zoo, nature center or rehabilitation facility. Please do not enter photos of animals that are both captive and non-native to North Carolina (for example, polar bears or lions at the N.C. Zoo).
No pets or domestic animals will be accepted, with the exception of animals participating with people in outdoor recreation (for example, hunting dogs or riders on horseback).
Please do not harass wildlife in an attempt to photograph it.
Additional rules on the website.

I recently caught a segment on TV showing these NC winning photos and listening to comments about them, and what makes a winning shot - the elements that go into a "winner". Sometimes it's careful planning of light and composition, sometimes it's just a matter of luck - being in the right place at the right time for that rare shot.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 34,096 times
I like the idea of this thread. Thanks for starting it. I am interested in contests, but have found this site to be helpful in terms of getting my photos published than eventually selling them. The site, sell my music online ( http://www.zipboxmedia.com/sell-my-music-online - broken link), may be helpful for when you enter into contests. It isn't just for music, that is why I thought it would be helpful for all types of artists.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,058 times
Default Yes!!!

Is there a contest for miscellaneous pics as well cause I don't have patience for taking pictures of birds, etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmuzic View Post
Is there a contest for miscellaneous pics as well cause I don't have patience for taking pictures of birds, etc.
Not even landscapes and plants? They don't move much, so don't take a lot of patience.

There are great contests running continually right here in C-D. Check out the photography forum.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM

Here's another I just found:

Submit one original photo in each of the three categories:
People, Places and Animals. Every week a new winner will be picked in each category.
You've got plenty of chances to win, too! Enter once every week in each category, between June 28 and Sept. 26, 2010.

And check the Photo Gallery weekly to see the best photographs!

http://prize.komando.com/?utm_medium...utm_campaign=f

Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,852,426 times
Isn't there a Photography forum on C-D? I think it is seven down from this one. It even has a contest sub forum. How about that!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Isn't there a Photography forum on C-D? I think it is seven down from this one. It even has a contest sub forum. How about that!
Yes, there is - and they run internal photography contests, for fun. It's a good forum. They wouldn't allow me to post this thread (where there are more serious photographers) but told me to post in Hobbies.

I'm just glad they let me post it anywhere.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,852,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, there is - and they run internal photography contests, for fun. It's a good forum. They wouldn't allow me to post this thread (where there are more serious photographers) but told me to post in Hobbies.

I'm just glad they let me post it anywhere.
Really? I would have thought it was a natural. O well. I guess I could start a photo contest on shooting bicycle races, and I shoot a lot, in the fitness forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography