Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 PM

33,601 posts, read 37,242,647 times

Advertisements

I have just ordered a Fugi HS10 as a replacement, and will soon be back in business...It arrives on the 20th.

I'm excited about the versatility of this camera.. The sample photos on this site look pretty good to me. Fujifilm Finepix HS10 / HS11 review Photo Gallery by Jacky Lee at pbase.com

A big plus is it's high speed and full HD video capabilities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,932,812 times
Somebody stole your other camera? Oh man that sucks bad. That would make you want to beat them with a tripod if you ever find them.

Have fun with the new one!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,843,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have just ordered a Fugi HS10...
I've been shooting the HS10 since early April, and I've still got the training wheels on. It has given me some of the best photos of my life, but it has also proven frustrating at times. Maybe that's part of the training curve. After deciding a few years ago not to replace my 35mm SLR with a DSLR, I've owned several of Fuji's bridge cameras. This one, of course, has far more capabilities, but I've also struggled quite a bit more with image quality.

I love the zoom and have gotten excellent hand-held results under conditions that I thought would be impossible without using a tripod. "Top 7" and "best frame capture" are neat features, particularly when shooting wildlife. Some of the pre-set scene settings work nicely. There's still quite a few settings/gimmicks that I haven't fully explored.

As I mentioned, the image quality is harsher than my old S-series Fuji. If I'm shooting faces, I've gone to bypassing the HS10 and relying on my old Fuji. I've pre-set a softer image, which has helped some. I've also often struggled with White Balance under cloudy conditions. Thus far, nothing has helped much. Also, focusing is a real bear in low-light, either auto or manual focus. I really miss an infinity focus setting. Finally, the flash was a disappointment. I ended up buying an external flash, which works well.

Still, it's an awesome camera, and I'm glad I bought it. I look forward to hearing what you think after you've shot it awhile.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM

62,057 posts, read 87,760,434 times
This is a fine camera with a super zoom, high-speed continuous shooting, full manual controls and support for the RAW ! Oh, you will have fun with it!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I've been shooting the HS10 since early April, and I've still got the training wheels on. It has given me some of the best photos of my life, but it has also proven frustrating at times. Maybe that's part of the training curve. After deciding a few years ago not to replace my 35mm SLR with a DSLR, I've owned several of Fuji's bridge cameras. This one, of course, has far more capabilities, but I've also struggled quite a bit more with image quality.

I love the zoom and have gotten excellent hand-held results under conditions that I thought would be impossible without using a tripod. "Top 7" and "best frame capture" are neat features, particularly when shooting wildlife. Some of the pre-set scene settings work nicely. There's still quite a few settings/gimmicks that I haven't fully explored.

As I mentioned, the image quality is harsher than my old S-series Fuji. If I'm shooting faces, I've gone to bypassing the HS10 and relying on my old Fuji. I've pre-set a softer image, which has helped some. I've also often struggled with White Balance under cloudy conditions. Thus far, nothing has helped much. Also, focusing is a real bear in low-light, either auto or manual focus. I really miss an infinity focus setting. Finally, the flash was a disappointment. I ended up buying an external flash, which works well.

Still, it's an awesome camera, and I'm glad I bought it. I look forward to hearing what you think after you've shot it awhile.
I'm curious...have you updated the firmware?..

The firmware update Ver.1.02 incorporates the following item.

1. In Raw data a line is visible where colors slightly change when developed by Raw File Converter.
2. Battery indicator turns on too early.
3. When "Image Disp." in set-up menu is set to "Zoom", sometimes image corrupts.

The firmware update Ver.1.01 incorporates the following item.
It corrects the problems below.

1. Some distorted images with pin-cushion type can be captured at AE bracketing mode
2. Sometimes unclear details in images
3. In RAW + JPEG mode, JPEG images are sharper
4. Soft image or not smooth enough color gradation in D-range 200, 400% than in 100%

You can update here, FinePix HS10 / HS11 Firmware (camera control software) Update | Fujifilm Global (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/s/finepix_hs10/fupd.html - broken link) but read and follow the instructions carefully.

Here is a page of sample photos taken after the camera was updated. http://www.pbase.com/middlehill/hs10...f_firmware_102

Hopefully my camera will come with the latest firmware.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,843,658 times
Quote:
I'm curious...have you updated the firmware?...
Yeah, I'm running V1.02. Both updates went well, but as you say, follow the instructions closely.

With the exception of the low battery warning, I can't say I encountered any of the bugs addressed in the updates. If I did, I was not aware of it. The low battery warning still gives you ample notice. I've shot quite awhile after it's present and never encountered problems or had it shut down on me.

I re-read my first post, and it came across more critical than I intended. I like the camera and I'm glad I bought it. The image sensor is apparently quite a bit different than my other Fuji's, and it's has taken me awhile to get accustomed to it. Overall, my biggest issue is focusing in night/low-light conditions. I'm looking forward to some good tips from ya'!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,781,553 times
yahoooie! finally I am getting and going to get good on-hands info on this camera!!! please keep updating with photos and data of the image settings...I am really interested in the supposed 720mm zoom capability

Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM

This page will give you an idea... It is possible to go hand held with this camera at 720mm...

Page 4: 24mm vs 720mm Photo Gallery by Jacky Lee at pbase.com

If you scroll down on each photo he gives the exif data.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,781,553 times
Quote:
This page will give you an idea... It is possible to go hand held with this camera at 720mm...

Page 4: 24mm vs 720mm Photo Gallery by Jacky Lee at pbase.com

If you scroll down on each photo he gives the exif data.
thanks but I have checked out that page and others.... I prefer people on forums like here!!! weird maybe but I feel more trusting of the info from people like you!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,841,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
thanks but I have checked out that page and others.... I prefer people on forums like here!!! weird maybe but I feel more trusting of the info from people like you!
After looking at Sanspeur's photography, I'd be more inclined to trust info from him too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography