Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times

Advertisements

OK, as jco suggested yesterday, I thought I'd post this one.

If you don't know, I know zero about photography but I love to take pictures. Just wish I had an artist's eye, like you guys that have these awesome pictures here in this forum.

So last year, shortly after the birth of my daughter, my wife and I laid her on the floor after a bath and I started taking pictures. One of about 200 came out pretty good and I wanted your opinion. It was shot in color, but I removed the color with Photoshop Elements 5 and have done no other adjustments except reducing the size to make it postable.

Was just wanting some opinions.

Also, would it help if I posted the original color photo but sized it down as well?

Thanks all.

Also, Fuzz, I'd love to know how to put the cool little border and finishing touches on these things like you did on that one in the other thread.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/forjerz/forCDforum.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Yes, post the color one too.

Depending on how you convert the color to B&W to begin with, the B&W image can come out quite differently. The standard conversion to grayscale makes everything come out looking kind of flat and boring.

I've found Photoshop's Channel Mixer to be the best way, since it let's you choose how you want each color channel to be represented in B&W. Not sure if Photoshop Elements has Channel Mixer or not.

If you post the color version, I can try out different conversions using Channel Mixer and see if anything better pops out.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Typo + add'l info

Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
She is beautiful!!! It's great you got the catch light in her eye. The only thing that might make it any better is if you had the catch light in both eyes. Do you know what I mean by catch light?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Oh, Alpha, regardless of photo quality (which seems fine to me)....your baby girl is beautiful!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
I like that Black and White effect on this. It brings out the look in the eye, especially the sparkle. With color, this might not be as noticeable.

Sometimes, you know, less is best.

Wonderful shot!! Baby looks pretty wonderful too.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times
She is adorable...

Love the B&W quality too. Liz

Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
It's a great shot of a beautiful little girl

Now for a little critique. I would suggest reading about B&W conversion, there are a lot of different ways to do it, find one that suites you the best.
Just do "desaturate" doesn't give picture justice.

Eyes, they appear somewhat soft on your shot. Always remember, when shooting people (faces), have your focus on eyes ALWAYS!

I like the composition of your shot, however bottom of the shot has that white cloth popping out, which is destructing.

When talking pohotographs, look throught your viewfinder and see what might be distracting in the frame of you shot. It takes a while to start noticing things, i used to just shoot whatever i see fits LOL. Then i look at my pictures and "What was i thinking? How come i didn't see it before?"

It all comes with practise, and as you know it, practise makes it perfect!!
Post more!!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I would suggest reading about B&W conversion, there are a lot of different ways to do it, find one that suites you the best.
Just do "desaturate" doesn't give picture justice.
Seconded. As I mentioned, I use Channel Mixer. You can find the one that you like best. Any good Photoshop book should describe the different ways of converting to B&W.

Quote:
Eyes, they appear somewhat soft on your shot. Always remember, when shooting people (faces), have your focus on eyes ALWAYS!
I thought about this at first too. What saves the picture from the focus issue is that because it is a baby picture, it almost looks like an intended soft-focus effect.

Quote:
I like the composition of your shot, however bottom of the shot has that white cloth popping out, which is destructing.
I actually didn't find that too distracting. I think you could crop out the top blank sliver though.

As you can tell, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Different people will like and dislike different aspects of the same picture. I think photo critique threads are a great idea.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM

I took your shot and made some adjustments. First of all, it is a great shot to begin with -- if you start out with a crappy picture, no matter how much you adjust it, it'll still be crappy. A shallow depth of field, like you have, is very pleasing in portait images. So you've got the hardest part done.

My main critique would be the lack of contrast in the B&W image. I like my B&W shots with more contrast, so that would be my first "fix". However, I do not use the Exposure/Contrast fix in Photoshop. I find the Levels and Curves adjustments to be more powerful.
  1. Crop
  2. Levels
  3. Curves (used a layer mask to keep the eyes free of the Curves adjustment)
  4. Sharpening
  5. Frame
Basic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	5447

Midnight effect (using nik Color Efex Pro 2):

Name:	Untitled-5.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	5450

Sepia tone (using nik Color Efex Pro 2):

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5449

I'll post separately about the framing effect -- it is actually several commands/effects that I've recorded as a single action.

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-18-2007 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Updated Midnight effect image (cleared eyes of effect)

Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Hey thanks everybody.

Just got back from lunch, let me see if I can dig out the color one and post it.

I didn't like it much at all but the B&W look I really liked.

Also, Fuzz, you asked about the way I made it B&W, I choose Enhance>Adjust Color>Remove Color, in PE5.

ILNC, I guess by 'catch light' you mean the glint in her eye?

ShepsMom, I noticed the blanket corner popped up, maybe I could remove it with PE??

Nana, southernlady, and Padgett, thanks for the compliments, she's one of my favorite subjects!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography