Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,999 times

Advertisements

One of our locals having lunch. It's kind of cute how they nibble their peanuts. They have better eating etiquette than some people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 AM

822 posts, read 2,399,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
I took this picture of a flying squirrel in a tree by our house a couple of years ago. I see them once in awhile out back but they're slippery little suckers to catch in a picture.
Nice Squirrel shots!
Isn’t the flying squirrel cool? When I was a child of 6 or 7, I found a baby flying squirrel on the ground after a hurricane, its mother and siblings hadn’t survived the storm.
The pitiful little creature’s eyes weren’t even open yet so I nursed it with a dolls bottle that had belonged to my sister. It did quite well and lived in a shoebox by my bed, during the day it would ride around curled up in my shirt pocket, venturing out on occasion to sit on my shoulder.
I cared for it several months before my mom made me release it back into the wild.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 AM

855 posts, read 2,395,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Nice Squirrel shots!
Isn’t the flying squirrel cool? When I was a child of 6 or 7, I found a baby flying squirrel on the ground after a hurricane, its mother and siblings hadn’t survived the storm.
The pitiful little creature’s eyes weren’t even open yet so I nursed it with a dolls bottle that had belonged to my sister. It did quite well and lived in a shoebox by my bed, during the day it would ride around curled up in my shirt pocket, venturing out on occasion to sit on my shoulder.
I cared for it several months before my mom made me release it back into the wild.
The larger version of the picture is kind of grainy. I basically rushed to get the camera and tried to focus on a spot without scaring him off. I'm just glad the flash reached as far as it did. I have some grainy video of him captured on the camera as well. It's actually not bad considering it was from ~12' at night through a (somewhat dirty ) window and a screen.

I love them. When I first saw this one I wasn't even sure what it was, it just scurried up the tree when I opened the back door. We don't get as many since I had to cut our one maple down. I figure they nest in some of tallest trees around here, then glide down to lower levels. Without the medium side maple in the middle of the yard, the "bridge" to this smaller tree is gone.

This poor fellow met an untimely end unfortunately. I woke up one morning and he was on the ground. From the look of it a cat had gotten him and played with it.

I've got a few(hundred ) squirrel pics. I have houses in each of our larger trees that they overwinter in.

Our new neighbor asked me how I got the house up as high as I did. In hindsight, I must have been nuts. Age has a way of changing your perspective sometimes.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM

I like your “Squirrel House” great use for an old tire!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,369,329 times
YIKES! Have they no shame! I had places to drive, but didn't dare until they finished the deed... ended up having to put off my errands until the next day!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
Moose crossing Palmer Hay Flats

Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Fantastic shooting there, Nephler.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post

Well done

Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 PM

409 posts, read 951,479 times
Great shots Ray! You people who live in Alaska!! You always have something to take a picture of!!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:07 PM

409 posts, read 951,479 times
I agree...great pictures Nephler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography