Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:47 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times

Advertisements

Couple comments on your list. Don't delete as you go unless you're out of card space. There are several reasons for this. You're more likely to encounter card corruption this way. Plus, even the bad shots are learning experiences. Evaluate them on the computer, then delete them. Sometimes you'll even find that you like some element of the shot when you view it on the computer and decide to keep it.

Lower ISO produces cleaner shots than higher ISOs, and that applies to all types of photography. The reason you use higher ISOs is to increase shutterspeed for a given amount of light and aperture. Higher shutterspeeds are important to prevent motion blur on moving subjects. So it's a bit of a balancing act. Shutterspeeds for portraits will generally be in the 1/125s to 1/800s range depending on your focal length and whether the subject is in motion (which kids almost always are.) If you're using AV or P modes and your camera is selecting a shutterspeed faster than the above range, then you can lower your ISO for cleaner shots.

The above applies to ambient light photos, btw. Flash can allow slower shutterspeeds as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:55 AM

525 posts, read 900,074 times
Why would you paste a kids' photo for the world to see? Seems a little strange to me.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,749,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Why would you paste a kids' photo for the world to see? Seems a little strange to me.
Huh?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,749,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Couple comments on your list. Don't delete as you go unless you're out of card space. There are several reasons for this. You're more likely to encounter card corruption this way. Plus, even the bad shots are learning experiences. Evaluate them on the computer, then delete them. Sometimes you'll even find that you like some element of the shot when you view it on the computer and decide to keep it.

Lower ISO produces cleaner shots than higher ISOs, and that applies to all types of photography. The reason you use higher ISOs is to increase shutterspeed for a given amount of light and aperture. Higher shutterspeeds are important to prevent motion blur on moving subjects. So it's a bit of a balancing act. Shutterspeeds for portraits will generally be in the 1/125s to 1/800s range depending on your focal length and whether the subject is in motion (which kids almost always are.) If you're using AV or P modes and your camera is selecting a shutterspeed faster than the above range, then you can lower your ISO for cleaner shots.

The above applies to ambient light photos, btw. Flash can allow slower shutterspeeds as well.
Thanks for the tips; I wasn't aware of the whole corruption issue.

And I did do many of the shots in AV/P mode; so I should have lowered the ISO. So now I know this for next time. Thanks again

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 11-16-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
-Delete pics as I go if possible; remember 'quality' over 'quantity'
To elaborate on kdog's tip, I also recommend clearing the card by formatting rather than "delete all". It helps reduce the risk of corruption, so I've always been told. There should be a "Format" option somewhere in the Menu.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
huh??? this is the photography forum where we all try to help one another become better at shooting photo's...asking for critiquing of photo's is what is expected here?? what seems to be your issue with this?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
huh??? this is the photography forum where we all try to help one another become better at shooting photo's...asking for critiquing of photo's is what is expected here?? what seems to be your issue with this?
Some parents are uncomfortable with photos of their children going on the net for strangers to see. But I assume the parents in this case were okay with it and therefore it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Thanks

Yes, I was lying on the ground for that particular shot.

Do you mind being a little more specific about what you didn't like about the shot with the house? It's not one of my favorites either but I think it's because I had about 1 minute to get at least one decent shot of him there before he jumped up and ran back to his parents (couldn't get him to sit still for long at all lol)...so anyways, I wasn't sure whether to try to get more of him in the shot or more the house?
I don't like the house in the pic at all.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 PM

28 posts, read 30,538 times
Yes I am also new to this habit and this what I like, I love taking picture. I've been this doing for just 6 mos. and just a novice to do the exact angle to take the picture but as My friend said that we have to take picture as much as possible because practice makes perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography